+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [REQUEST] Spotlight Search Widget/Placement

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
DISCLAIMER: I apologize if this is has been covered before, but I did dozens of Google an ModMyI searches but came up with no definitive "yes this is possible" or
    What's Jailbreak? thisiskyleadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [REQUEST] Spotlight Search Widget/Placement
    DISCLAIMER:
    I apologize if this is has been covered before, but I did dozens of Google an ModMyI searches but came up with no definitive "yes this is possible" or "no it's not possible" answer.

Backstory:
    I was originally an iPhone user from the launch day of the first generation iPhone, but after a couple years decided to try a new OS and purchased the Google Nexus One. After a couple of months, I decided it wasn't for me. Though it had it perks, I came back to the iPhone 3GS. However, the main thing I absolutely loved on Android's OS was the Google search widget right on the home screen.

REQUEST:
    I would love to somehow implement Apple's built-in Spotlight search on the home screen without having to swipe right. Ideally, Spotlight's search bar would be visible directly beneath the status bar without the keyboard (until activated). Searches would retain all of the same features as now, with the option enable/disable what results are found.

I've attached some screenshots/mockups of the ideal placement for a more visual perspective of the convenience this could potentially have.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Comments? Would really love this feature and I'm sure many of you would find it much more useful than having to swipe right, or use an app to search.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [REQUEST] Spotlight Search Widget/Placement-spotlight_mock1.jpg   [REQUEST] Spotlight Search Widget/Placement-spotlight_mock2.jpg   [REQUEST] Spotlight Search Widget/Placement-spotlight_mock3.jpg  
    Last edited by thisiskyleadams; 08-22-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: easier to see pictures

iPhone? More like MyPhone ukhellfire's Avatar
    Thanks

Love the pink floyd bg... But dont knownif it id possible... Im sure something would be possible, like a search bar, that would open a search page in safari, seeings as other widgets are html, i dont see why this couldnt be accomplished...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Instead of Spotlight, why not run something on top of the Google Mobile app, since it incorporates voice as well as text search? GM runs in background, search bar widget on homescreen that is either displacing a row of icons or can be brought up with an Activator gesture...Speak or type and it starts searching, bringing up the results in the Google Mobile app...

What's Jailbreak? thisiskyleadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulight View Post
    Instead of Spotlight, why not run something on top of the Google Mobile app, since it incorporates voice as well as text search? GM runs in background, search bar widget on homescreen that is either displacing a row of icons or can be brought up with an Activator gesture...Speak or type and it starts searching, bringing up the results in the Google Mobile app...
    yeah those are all good ideas for sure. I guess I'm just, personally, really fond of the Spotlight aesthetic. Couldn't stand the look of the Google widget in Android, but loved the convenience.

I've never used the Google Mobile app before -- does it search the phone for the same list as Spotlight?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I like the Spotlight look as well (well, the whole iPhone look), which is probably why I haven't jumped ship to Android. It does something similar (searches contacts and the web only), but it's not quite as useful as Spotlight when it comes to searching the iPhone itself. If you could keep Spotlight, move it to the homescreen, and incorporate voice search, I would be "Sold!"

Thanks

well what i can do is do one in lockinfo for search... not sure if i can get it with the same functionality