Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Id gladly pay for this if someone made it..!

Question Id gladly pay for this if someone made it..!
    Is it possible to make a mod that fools the carrier that im on wifi and not on 3G/Edge Data..?
    i know 3G Unrestrictor / and a few others do this, but im wanting it to work for different reasons ...
    Basically, .. i HAD to update my O2 contract when i bought my iPhone4, and the only
    Change that bugged me was the fact that they had Capped the Data plan..
    So, basically im only allowed 500mb per month from the unlimited i previously had..
    i im constantly checking my iPhones data to make sure im not going over the 500mb data so
    i dont get charged more ...
    Is this possible .. or does 3G Unrestrictor do this ..??

no lol, o2 can see how much data you are requesting from them? lol think about it bro

Like A Boss

Nope. Don't O2 offer unlimited data anymore?

So, on 3G unrestricter what does it fool? The carrier or the phone? So if I use 3G unrestricter it's not telling the carrier I'm on wifi?

No, it's not unlimited anymore, if it is, u have to pay a lot more a month!
    Last edited by Mozzy; 08-15-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

First of all:

Why do you open two threads?

Secondly:

The mod you want would be highly illegal.

Thirdly:

This isn't possible. Never. On any phone in the world.

Fourthly:

3G Unrestrictor tricks a certain app, so it thinks that you're on WiFi. Some apps like the AppStore app, Skype, or Facetime would use too much data, or are simply not allowed over 3G.

Fifthly:

The carrier will always notice how much data you use, regardless of the app. How in the hell should this work???

Last but not least:

Think twice before asking... This is by far the most stupid question I ever heard..

How about...

Seventhly..

**** OFF U CLEVER UNHELPFUL ****!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mozzy For This Useful Post:

metaljay (08-15-2010)

Lol banter

It's not possible because the bandwidth you use is recorded as it's routed through their servers. All I can suggest is that you upgrade your data plan.

Are O2 owned by or even affiliated with AT&T by any chance? What you're describing is literally exactly what happened in the US at exactly the same time; in fact if you hadn't named your provider, I would have sworn you were on AT&T.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I had to read that first post several times over to even maintain a certain grasp on what you were asking...

So, let us stop and think about this for a moment. What apps like 3G unrestrictor do is they allow you to fool the APPS themselves that are installed on your PHONE into thinking you are still at home on your wifi, and not the 3G your really running on. The thing with this is, that even with it, your carrier still sees the bandwith you are using on there network, only the app thinks your on your local WiFi.

Now, lets back that up for a moment, and go back to your post. The carrier will know whether or not your using there data, because, bottom line, YOUR STILL USING THERE DATA, regardless of whether or not you think your "fooling the carrier" into thinking your own network. that would be like me being charged for AT&T service, and complaining to an AT&T Customer support technician that I was on Comcast service, not theres. They know what usage is coming from your phone, and sorry, but there is absolutely no way into fooling them otherwise. It's just physically impossible. Even if it was, it would not last long because you would not be the only one trying to get free data service that you don't pay for, which, think back on what you just asked, is what you just asked for. your trying to make the carrier think your using a local wifi data which isnt connected to them, therefore they wouldn't think your using any of there 500MB cap.

No offense, and I apologize, for I am not even trying to bash on you here, I swear. But I just don't get why you don't understand or comprehend that fact.

Just for the record, though. While yes that Shoxxxi guy was being a bit smart about it, he was really just trying to help you understand. As I said before, even if it were possible, what you are asking (which it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE) it would be highly illegal. Just as stealing cable, or phone service. etc.

cypherpunk:

I'm pretty sure O2 isn't affiliated with AT&T in any way. its just a stupid trend carriers are starting to adopt, unfortunately. there have been rumors that even verizon is considering this, soon.

as for the whole switching to iphone 4, I don't know about O2, but AT&T allowed you to keep your existing unlimited data plan if you didn't try and switch to the different plans, and were an existing customer. I sold my old 3G phone to afford the new one about 3 weeks before the new one came out and never said anything to at&t and cuz i was still on the old unlimited plan im currently still on it
    Last edited by unvaluablespace; 08-26-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to unvaluablespace For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (08-27-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by unvaluablespace View Post
    Maybe I'm an idiot, but I had to read that first post several times over to even maintain a certain grasp on what you were asking...

So, let us stop and think about this for a moment. What apps like 3G unrestrictor do is they allow you to fool the APPS themselves that are installed on your PHONE into thinking you are still at home on your wifi, and not the 3G your really running on. The thing with this is, that even with it, your carrier still sees the bandwith you are using on there network, only the app thinks your on your local WiFi.

Now, lets back that up for a moment, and go back to your post. The carrier will know whether or not your using there data, because, bottom line, YOUR STILL USING THERE DATA, regardless of whether or not you think your "fooling the carrier" into thinking your own network. that would be like me being charged for AT&T service, and complaining to an AT&T Customer support technician that I was on Comcast service, not theres. They know what usage is coming from your phone, and sorry, but there is absolutely no way into fooling them otherwise. It's just physically impossible. Even if it was, it would not last long because you would not be the only one trying to get free data service that you don't pay for, which, think back on what you just asked, is what you just asked for. your trying to make the carrier think your using a local wifi data which isnt connected to them, therefore they wouldn't think your using any of there 500MB cap.

No offense, and I apologize, for I am not even trying to bash on you here, I swear. But I just don't get why you don't understand or comprehend that fact.

Just for the record, though. While yes that Shoxxxi guy was being a bit smart about it, he was really just trying to help you understand. As I said before, even if it were possible, what you are asking (which it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE) it would be highly illegal. Just as stealing cable, or phone service. etc.

cypherpunk:

I'm pretty sure O2 isn't affiliated with AT&T in any way. its just a stupid trend carriers are starting to adopt, unfortunately. there have been rumors that even verizon is considering this, soon.

as for the whole switching to iphone 4, I don't know about O2, but AT&T allowed you to keep your existing unlimited data plan if you didn't try and switch to the different plans, and were an existing customer. I sold my old 3G phone to afford the new one about 3 weeks before the new one came out and never said anything to at&t and cuz i was still on the old unlimited plan im currently still on it
    You really put some extra thought into that one lol.

Haha well I just don't see why he can't understand the complexity and legality of what he was asking... That and the fact that I read it over a few times to give him the benefit of the doubt thinkin maybe we just assumed incorrectly what he wants haha

I am wondering if there are any apps that would allow me to use the iphone4 with Celio's Redfly. Given how powerful the iPhone is, having a external keyboard and screen would allow me to leave the MacBook pro at the office more often. Any thoughts? Thanks