Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ubuntu Mobile on the iPhone, what do you think?

Default Ubuntu Mobile on the iPhone, what do you think?
    As a Ubuntu user on my laptop, I must say I like it more that XP. Saw this and wanted to know what you think about it. It is not running on the phone yet, but who knows maybe some day we can dual boot OS and Ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

Linux is already being worked on . Ill talk to the guy working on it. See if hes seen it yet.

Is there an update on progress to bring linux to the iphone? Is this even something we expect to actually happen?

Well they do have a mobile version already, just needs to be ported to the iphone. Now with SDK out it's a matter of time. Even dual booting should be no problem.

Thanks
    Ubuntu? Linux? Really? Can someone PLEASE tell me why in the hell you would want either of these on your iPhone? I hated using them on a PC, I can't see why people would want to take a step back like that (just my opinion).

For me, going from stock to Ubuntu/Linux would be like me yanking the engine out of my porsche and putting in a Geo Metro 1.0 liter. Nice looking outside, Crap inside! (again, my opinion.)

Have you used Ubuntu at all? I don't think so, and this is going to be a dual boot option. You won't loose your iphone firmware. BTW OSX and ubuntu are both build on unix.

Quote Originally Posted by MS*** View Post
    yanking the engine out of my porsche and putting in a Geo Metro 1.0 liter.
    Not quite.

Ubuntu is a relatively lightweight linux distro that has a mobile variant.
    Apple's "OS X" mobile is linux-based, but is full of Apple's locked-down controls. The core is basically the same.

Putting Ubuntu on your phone would open you up to being able to use the entire linux community of developers for apps. The possibilities are quite literally limitless.

However, on the other hand, it's more raw and would be infinitely more buggy. Most ideas like this never get beyond proof-of-concept. Drivers have to be written for all the hardware, like the accelerometer, touchscreen, memory control, cell radio, etc.

I think there's a segment of people who want to put linux on everything that will run it, just to say they did it. There was a project to put Linux on the Palm TX. Fully-functional linux on a Palm TX/T5 would be a huge improvement IMO, but development took so long and the drivers never materialized.

So, no, it wouldn't be like putting a Geo engine in a porsche, it'd be more like taking a Porsche 911 GT2, and replacing the ECU with a series of dials and switches, giving you control over ignition timing, fuel mix, valve lift and timing, etc . . . also not something you'd want.
    Last edited by Ryan Trevisol; 03-14-2008 at 08:36 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Trevisol For This Useful Post:

frobroj (07-30-2008)

Ubuntu is great IMO, UME is x86 though and iPhone is ARM.

I would love to see a linux distro running on the iphone

Default Thanks Ryan!
    Very eloquently put Ryan. I love logical concise people. Its too bad that folks who don't understand something don't simply say "I don't understand". Instead they tend to oppose and criticize the things they don't understand. Its so refreshing to see someone take the time to explain a point of view without igniting a flame war!

Cheers to you Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Trevisol View Post
    Not quite.

Ubuntu is a relatively lightweight linux distro that has a mobile variant.
    Apple's "OS X" mobile is linux-based, but is full of Apple's locked-down controls. The core is basically the same.

Putting Ubuntu on your phone would open you up to being able to use the entire linux community of developers for apps. The possibilities are quite literally limitless.

However, on the other hand, it's more raw and would be infinitely more buggy. Most ideas like this never get beyond proof-of-concept. Drivers have to be written for all the hardware, like the accelerometer, touchscreen, memory control, cell radio, etc.

I think there's a segment of people who want to put linux on everything that will run it, just to say they did it. There was a project to put Linux on the Palm TX. Fully-functional linux on a Palm TX/T5 would be a huge improvement IMO, but development took so long and the drivers never materialized.

So, no, it wouldn't be like putting a Geo engine in a porsche, it'd be more like taking a Porsche 911 GT2, and replacing the ECU with a series of dials and switches, giving you control over ignition timing, fuel mix, valve lift and timing, etc . . . also not something you'd want.
    I think he just wanted to post that he had a Porsche.

Default Well, it is possible, and a lot of stuff is already there!
    For the ones that think there would be a hell of a lot of work for the touchscreen, accelerometer and the gps etc. The hardest part would be making the network drivers, then compiling libc and the kernel, then you're almost ready to go, because acclerometer drivers can be made by modifying stuff for those old ibm thinkpads which had accelerometers so everytime it gets struck by a bigger force, it would turn off its hard drive, and us, linux dudes, made good use of it in the game "Tux racer". Then, there is a ubuntu distro that had touchscreen support, it was meant to be a distro to put in the car, like a pc in you're dashboard. And there is already GPS support for linux. The only thing to work on is the network compatibility. And there already is a project devoted to making a distro for the iphone, no worries there. (check Main Page - IPhone Linux )

And for the GPS (again), check n800, which uses debian and has gps, so why shouldn't there be any support for it on other linux distros? Heck, we wouldn't even need to run it through alien, well ok, we would need to decompile and recompile it again, but still, it came from a *.deb.

And if anyone has a problem with using linux on a desktop PC or a laptop, well I can share my experience with windows, and good god is it long. Its like a clinical history for an asthmatic Vietnam veteran, with a leg rotten off because of agent orange, just 10x worse and on PC. Linux solved it :P
    Last edited by nevertell; 10-25-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Sry, forgot the n800 which has linux and GPS!!!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I used to run linux on my iPod before I broke the screen so I would be very interested in using this. I would not want to dual boot though. I would prefer to just load it on my other phone