Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gmail Notifier

Default Gmail Notifier
    Would it be possible to create a plugin to simply check my gmail account for new inbox messages and notify me of any new ones?

Pressing it would open safari to the gmail page.

Is anyone interested in doing this?

Gmail already works in the MobileMail app...

Thanks for your reply! However, I'm well aware that gmail works in there.

That is not what I'm referring to. Gmail notifier would be great to have for those of us that don't want to use the POP interface of gmail, and would rather use the web interface (so that we have one central place for email)

Google has an official gmail notifier for this very purpose. I was just wondering if a similar simple app could be ported to the iPhone.

Might I ask why exactly you prefer the web interface?? But you can make your own web launcher app with ... I forget the name of the program but it does exist so you can make simple web launching apps with your own designed icon

The reason I want it is simplicity - I already have all of my filters, labels, and rules set up in my gmail account - all I want to know is when I get a new email in my inbox.

With the mail.app on the iphone, it doesnt care that I have certain msg skip the inbox and get archived. It doesnt care about labels.

You can setup a rule to forward it as an SMS. Or you can download it from POP and make it not archive it, so it is still in your gmail app.

I'd love to see a Gmail Notifier too! I think there's plenty of other people with reasons for wanting to not use the built in mail app, and use a notifier instead.

I would love someone to create this application. I've been hoping for a while that someone would get around to it. I have no interest in using POP access with gmail for the same reasons. I often use gmail on other computers as well as my own laptop and my iPhone, so having all of my emails located in one central location is a must.

Google notified works great on my laptop, shouldn't it be fairly simple to create a similar app for the iPhone?

Can't someone talk to the guys that made the installer.app? They managed to get the springboard icon to notify you of software updates.