• Good idea!

136 89.47%
  • Bad idea!

0 0%
  • I LIKE PIE.

16 10.53%
+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speech-to-Text Recognition for SMS/Email?

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
So I was eating. Obviously having greasy hands, typing a response to a text message seemed like a bad idea. The Google app has speech-to-text recognition for searches, is there
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Speech-to-Text Recognition for SMS/Email?
    So I was eating.

Obviously having greasy hands, typing a response to a text message seemed like a bad idea.

The Google app has speech-to-text recognition for searches, is there any way to bring this into SMS/email?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this would b amazing

Thanks

I have always wanted this. I would love to use my voice to text that would be awesome. Im sure it wont be easy but could be possible

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

I love this idea. With all the state laws changing to hands free only when driving.
    here's what I found to start the project PocketSphinx - Sphinx for handhelds

Thanks

Default Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    I love this idea. With all the state laws changing to hands free only when driving.
    here's what I found to start the project PocketSphinx - Sphinx for handhelds
    Ahhh Nice Find

Green Apple
    Thanks

Maybe some sort of SBSettings Integration would make it a bit easier to implement, since it runs over any application with a present status bar?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So i can see how this MIGHT be good for emails, but why would you want to voice-to-text SMS messages?! Why wouldnt you just call the person...

Green Apple
    Thanks

calling costs money.......
    I'm not a Genius, but I can sure pretend to be one!
    If I helped you please press Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p42o View Post
    So i can see how this MIGHT be good for emails, but why would you want to voice-to-text SMS messages?! Why wouldnt you just call the person...
    Sometimes texting is just fun lol

Either that, or the other person can only text at the time for some reason, and sending a long text message is the only thing possible.

Thanks

this would be awesome...the storm has this i think grr....i think there was an app back in like 1.1.2 days where u could send a voice app but u had to sign up and it didnt always work well but it was cool but only capable for iphone to iphone. If a voice to text app could be made i would want it in the default sms and not a whole new sms app. Oh and also i would want it to be free lol.

Thanks

This is a great idea, but would be HORRIBLE. Even if you had the most perfect enunciation and pronounciation in the world, you still would have to constantly edit a ton of the words it wrongly interpreted. It would kind of take the point of voice recognition away.

Also, think of all the slang, and everyday words that it doesn't know. Every word has to be programmed into it unless it has a learning function, which still wouldn't save you from editing lots of the text. You would need an advanced recording solution if you wanted even partially correct results too, like a high quality headset. The iPhone's mic. will just not cut it for something like this.
    Last edited by Chase817; 12-16-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    This is a great idea, but would be HORRIBLE. Even if you had the most perfect enunciation and pronounciation in the world, you still would have to constantly edit a ton of the words it wrongly interpreted. It would kind of take the point of voice recognition away.

Also, think of all the slang, and everyday words that it doesn't know. Every word has to be programmed into it unless it has a learning function, which still wouldn't save you from editing lots of the text. You would need an advanced recording solution if you wanted even partially correct results too, like a high quality headset. The iPhone's mic. will just not cut it for something like this.

The google mobile app usually picks up what i say on the dot

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like pie....

great idea but again is gonna be hard to create such app that is usable...

another idea is like the microsoft sync thing. Where it plays music and call people with the voice command.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilentEcho13 View Post
    The google mobile app usually picks up what i say on the dot
    Well, thats because it's GOOGLE, & it can afford to. It sends what you say to its servers, deciphers it, then back. So right off the bat we can dismiss that approach for this happening just because of financial issues. The second approach would be to have the whole thing happen on the iphone, this has been done before (circa 1.1.4) for voice-based dialing. Needless to say it didn't work out to well.

Green Apple
    Thanks

would be sexy

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p42o View Post
    There is always that one person that says this. Why bother texting someone at all when you can just call them? Because getting your point across via text is a lot different than getting it across by talking to them. Sometimes, you say things you want to take back but you can't when you SAY them. If you're texting, you can always go back and reread your text before you send it. If you want to text something that's really long to someone, being able to say your text would really be helpful.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

39 Good idea - 0 bad idea, We either make this app or some pie

Thanks

there is an app that will read your texts out loud its called talk me on cydia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is a great idea, instead of texting ourselves the phone will do it for us