+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS teather?

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I was thinking last night how nice it would be to be able to plug my iPhone into my laptop and use its GPS capabilities as an antenna for a
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default GPS teather?
    I was thinking last night how nice it would be to be able to plug my iPhone into my laptop and use its GPS capabilities as an antenna for a GPS software that I have installed on my laptop.

Has this been done or is there an app for something like this? Im not sure what comm port it needs to talk on (between the PC and phone) for it to be used as the antenna for the GPS software.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? Having this capability would be awesome.

Thanks

Seconded, this would kick ***.

Thanks

I thought so too, I wonder if anyone will run with this to get it to work soon?

Do I need to PM a moderator to get someone to look at this?

Thanks

any news on this being produced? I think this would be a very useful app for field technicians or for fun. People that build car PC's wouldnt have to buy the $50 GPS antenna and SW if this could be done...

Thanks

Bump? anyone think this is a good idea? at least worth checking into?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm intrigued by this request. I've started to do some digging, and I think this can be done. My first thought was to see if there's a way to perform this task over the USB connection. After a bit of research, I deemed that to be in the too hard category.

However, while performing that research, I stumbled upon an iPhone to Serial cable and software to talk over the serial cable from the iPhone. THe only problem is that the cables are in the $35 range and Apple may not let an app communicate over the serial lines.

I then thought that maybe there's a way to emulate a serial port on the host computer that the iPhone can talk to over wifi. It may not be the simplest solution, but there are no extra parts to buy. Just an app on the iPhone that sends data over the wifi and an app on the host computer that received that data and sends it to the GPS application over a virtual serial port.

I found an app that'll create the virtual serial port (HW VSP3) and I don't think it'll be too difficult to create the corresponding iPhone app.

I'll play around a little more this afternoon and see how far I get.

Thomas

Well, in case anyone's following this thread, I've managed to get basic position and altitude information from the iPhone to VisualGPS running on my computer via the wifi connection.

The Location SDK does nor provide satellite information, so there's no way to get that data into a GPS application.

Not bad for a few hours work. If anyone's still interested, I may continue working on this.

Thomas
    Last edited by volatile-dev; 03-07-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to volatile-dev For This Useful Post:

Turb02 (03-09-2009)

Thanks

that's awesome work in a couple of hours! Would it be able to be used for a car pc based navigation system? I'm still really interested

Thanks

Outstanding work! I'm also very interested in this and would love to see some betas or even help out on the project. Keep it up! This could be quite a breakthrough.

Thanks

essentially my setup will be a car PC running centrafuse (dont know the name of the navigation tool that is with it) and using the iPhone for its PDAnet teather capability.

That is why I am wanting to get the iPhone to be used as a GPS antenna. Would your solution be ablt to use the iPhone for PDAnet teathering, a GPS antenna thru centrafuse AND be ablt to make and recieve calls all at the same time?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
    essentially my setup will be a car PC running centrafuse (dont know the name of the navigation tool that is with it) and using the iPhone for its PDAnet teather capability.

That is why I am wanting to get the iPhone to be used as a GPS antenna. Would your solution be ablt to use the iPhone for PDAnet teathering, a GPS antenna thru centrafuse AND be ablt to make and recieve calls all at the same time?
    While I haven't tried using all three features at one, I don't see any reason it wouldn't be possible. I'll be sure to keep that in mind as I continue to experiment.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    to be honest with you thats stupid the iphone map is just find

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tssouthpark View Post
    to be honest with you thats stupid the iphone map is just find
    Maybe for you. In fact, I probably won't even ever use this if I get it working. Sometimes it's just fun to see if something can be done that has the remote possibility of being useful.

Thanks

the maps might be fine but if I have a nav system that has turn by turn directions and can use the iPhone for it's antenna, why not? In the same breath, why would someone want to teather to the iPhone when they can just plug it in to a LAN or connect to a wifi network? Well because some people just want to use the phone for as much as possible...and the apps are there. It may not be for everyone just like some of the apps in cydia

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is easy!

Jailbreak your phone, and install Erika Utilities (should be included in initial install of cydia).

Run "findme" via wifi ssh and you'll get GPS cordinates.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapaintballer331 View Post
    This is easy!

Jailbreak your phone, and install Erika Utilities (should be included in initial install of cydia).

Run "findme" via wifi ssh and you'll get GPS cordinates.
    All that does is print the GPS coordinates to the screen. How could an existing application on a PC make use of this data?

The purpose here is to allow an existing PC-based application to utilize the iPhone's GPS in a manner transparent to that application.

Besides, there are plenty of free GUI-based apps in the app store that can give you your GPS coordinates without the need to jailbreak you phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone aussiebob's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its a good idea sort of and I think its great after a couple of hrs you made it work on wifi however how far can you travel on a wifi network?
    Is there maybe a way you can trick the pc into thinking the 3G network is wifi?
    How many people will drive around with a lap top in the car which needs to be secure both so it wont be banged around and for a thief to see.
    Its cumbersome and takes a while to turn on when needed.
    The iphone is quicker and is multifunctional.
    Saying this I know many farmers and researchers rely on the portable pc and would benefit but they are a minority.
    My signiture? Whats that...............

Green Apple
    Thanks

There already is an app to make it think 3g is wifi, but not think wifi is 3g.

If you want a laptop to use your iphone to get cordinates, sshing will have it print the cordinates in the terminal, which can be sent to a device/app/file for use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebob View Post
    Is there maybe a way you can trick the pc into thinking the 3G network is wifi?
    There is no 'tricking' involved. There are several programs like iPhone Modem zsrelay that make the iPhone function as a Bridge between 3G and WiFi.

iPhone connects to 3G, obtains an internet connection, broadcasts wifi, and bridges the two so anyone accessing that wifi can access the internet via 3G. (and yes, it can be secured)

I like where the console people are going.. not sure how fast that would be if you're basically running a console command a bazillion times rather than 'really' accessing the GPS unit directly, but perhaps worth a shot. Or talking with Erica Sadun on how to access the GPS coords since she did it.

Personally for reasons like turn by turn, geocaching, and even writing my own programs (for PC), would love to have a way to retrieve GPS coords from the iPhone. Especially if it could be done wirelessly!

Thanks

any update on the progress? Push come to shove I guess I can just buy the antenna. Man it would be so cool if THe iPhone could be used as the antenna, one less piece needed

Thanks

update? Anyone get this to work? Volitle?