+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backup Program

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
am i the only person that thinks that there should be a program that u run on ur computer that backups all the mods youve done to ur phone at
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Backup Program
    am i the only person that thinks that there should be a program that u run on ur computer that backups all the mods youve done to ur phone at the same time? it would making the porcess after a software update alot easier and faster... all you would need to do is run the prgram to create a backup of all ur thirdparty apps, icons, themes, etc. and it saves it in like a folder... then restore, update, jailbreak, and then copy that backup back over to ur phone.

in other words, we need a relatively simple iphone-mod-backup program for the pc or mac.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

just save files via winscp or iphonebrowser.. do we need an app do everything nowadays?
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

Thanks

Thumbs up Could Be A Very Good Idea....
    yea we need aback up file that be able to back up the main files like the one that let you nave on safari.. cause something real rare happend to me
    last night i was on #iphone and i dont know if was just at porpuse or just playing arroung but my iphone was hacked and eraseme all the icons and only left me the dock... after i rejail it nothing were working i couldn`t se my mails and and alson mest up all my router seting and files that laoud me to naw on all the web...,, i dont now why they did that... but thats not even close of what i spect some.... help to make it work.. well..
    no i have to do all over again and find out what happen with the router...

good idea the back up program foe emergencies

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lifesmymachine View Post
    just save files via winscp or iphonebrowser.. do we need an app do everything nowadays?
    Well you know we live in a "Microwave" and "Foreman" society nowadays, one thing does all.... This software would be an addition to our "Nowadays" society.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhone1118's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SiLeNtKiLLa View Post
    Well you know we live in a "Microwave" and "Foreman" society nowadays, one thing does all.... This software would be an addition to our "Nowadays" society.
    I agree, plus im really lazy
    I am the MacBook Pro

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone1118 View Post
    I agree, plus im really lazy
    haha thats true, but i like being able to control what i restore after a backup

for example maybe a program caused my iphone to slow down, or an icon was terribly out of place, or a system sound was driving me off the wall

i can selectively replace maybe just the applications or ringtones folders after a restore and leave out whatever i want to

now excuse me while i go microwave some leftovers for lunch
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

Green Apple
    Thanks

just don't microwave popcorn...[the irony in that is just too much]

Green Apple
    Thanks

A backup app would be very nice.

Can't you just backup your Springboard.app and Applications folder to get backup most of your visual mods?

Then all you'd need is installer and reinstall your apps

Thanks

Actually the reverse of this is if you download and install your mods with an .ipb file or a .pxl file, rebuilding after a restore is quite simple. I recently had to do this and I was using .iphuc scripts but have since converted everything over to Breezy (.pxl) packages.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatheadWRX View Post
    A backup app would be very nice.

Can't you just backup your Springboard.app and Applications folder to get backup most of your visual mods?

Then all you'd need is installer and reinstall your apps
    That would give you a backup of most of your mods but you'd miss any custom ringtones, wallpapers or any add-ons like ebooks, NES games, iSwitcher themes, etc.
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 09-09-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    White 3G

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

it should not be that difficult...just pick the key locations to backup (with some sort of selecter switch/radio button GUI), then have a script connect with SFTP and pull backups. this is still done fairly easily manually for anyone who's really that concerned about it. the difficult piece would be in restoring...things can go really wrong if you overwrite something that was updated/added during an apple update. IMHO, it's not worth the effort...my important info (contacts, phone number, ringtones, musics, etc) are held in outlook and itunes...everything else changes so much that it's not really worth saving.
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default system snapshot
    thats what i would love to see. Just a list of programs and mods youve installed and where you got them..

Backing them up MIGHT be a problem later on if apple does something dramatic to the files and folders that our backup will be useless if it was restored.

I sure hope the developers are listening!