+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: so why can't we have Firefox or Thunderbird on our iPhones?

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Look it would stand to reason that seeing as how the iPhone is based on OS X, then it should be somewhat easy to port a simplified version of Firefox
    Thanks

Default so why can't we have Firefox or Thunderbird on our iPhones?
    Look it would stand to reason that seeing as how the iPhone is based on OS X, then it should be somewhat easy to port a simplified version of Firefox over to it.

That and would not the same hold true for porting over Thunderbird? And if that's the case because Thunderbird supports Push, it would essentially rectify the crappy Push feature on the iPhone?

Someone enlighten me here!
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Because Steve Jobs wants you to use Safari. That's why the MMS is not on the iPhone. AT&T said in order to get MMS you need to put our Media Net browser on your phone. Apple said no, thus no MMS. It only makes sense he wants people to use Safari. It's a good browser anyway.

Why do you think Opera Browser got rejected from the App Store?

Exactly.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Thanks

My built-in PUSH email works quite fine.

Thanks

Mine is hit or miss (push).

At times it will work like gangbusters, at other times i'll be sitting here at my computer and I'll get an email, and then then 2 or 3 hours later I will get an email on my phone.

I guess what I was more wondering was this: Why not just build it and release it via some repository?

Kinda like Cydia?

I mean you cannot prevent someone from taking an open source licensed application like Firefox or Thunderbird re-writing it so that it would work on an iPhone.

You can't prevent someone from taking Firefox or Thunderbird and creating their own browser like they did with Iceweasel

It wouldn't even need to be done through Mozilla if the worry is bad business relations.

Safari for me is an "okay" browser, it's sufficient. It crashes 30% of the time for me for no reason whatsoever.

I can understand why Apple wouldn't want to release it, like they wouldn't want to release Opera. Its the same reason that they try to Package Safari as an update, so that more people will use it.

But like I initially questioned, why doesn't a community that is dedicated to really not caring all that much whether or not Apple approves of it's actions in Jailbreaking and Modding, take what is already existing and making it work?

Is it the architecture of the phone? or is it that no one really cares enough to bother?

I mean isn't there already something called "myfox?". An alternative browser to safari?

Thanks

Safari is garbage and crashes on my iphone 90% of the time

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

my safari never crashes. got to get your iphone check out dude.

Thanks

why is it whenever someone comes up with an issue are there always people who come up with it "works for me therefore it should work for you."

There are so many variables that come into play with every single system. That's like saying I own a Ford, and I've never had a problem with a Ford, therefore neither should you.

We don't all go to the same websites and view the same content. We don't all do the same things.

So maybe also, I like choice. For the same reasons I don't use IE7 and prefer Firefox. Maybe for the same reasons I prefer Gentoo over Debian.

My initial question was, and still is. Why hasn't anyone ported an open source program that is used by a whole lot of people over to the iphone?

If again, the iPhone uses a slimed down version of OS X, or at the very least Unix, why not just move a slimed down version of Firefox or Thunderbird?

Although i will say this, since I have updated to 2.2, against my better judgement, my Push feature has been going through the roof.

Every other minute i am getting new emails which is something that never happened before.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

maybe because people ( developers) are content with safari. Can I ask you why you would like thunderbird or mozilla? What do you thin we would gain by having that?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it all boils down to the time it takes to port programs over and the huge list of restrictions that are tacked on to getting approvals by Apple. People just aren't going to take on a huge task to satisfy a handful of jailbreakers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    maybe because people ( developers) are content with safari. Can I ask you why you would like thunderbird or mozilla? What do you thin we would gain by having that?
    I am glad you asked. At the time of me saying Thunderbird, it had to deal with the crappy "push" issue. I figured another email client would be able to deal with that better. However since upgrading to 2.2 yesterday, my push is working extremely well.

As far as Firefox goes, I like Firefox. It is much more customizable then Safari is. And, with an open source browser that doesn't play by Apples rules, you could then have an Open Source plugin that also doesn't play by Apples rules, like the Flash plugins NOT developed by adobe.

Those are just some ideas that were going through my head. So it was just a curiousity as to why not? I mean just about everything on the phone has a free/improved equivalent to it, why not the browser?