+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Calling iphone devs! Using the iPhone as a bluetooth keyboard for the Playstation 3

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
wish there was a app on the iphone that turned it into a bluetooth keyboard that the PS3 would see. Wouldn't that be awesome? Does anyone know if the iphone's
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Calling iphone devs! Using the iPhone as a bluetooth keyboard for the Playstation 3
    wish there was a app on the iphone that turned it into a bluetooth keyboard that the PS3 would see. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Does anyone know if the iphone's bluetooth hardware could do this?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

its probably possible but improbable.Other than a cool toy i think this would be worthless to most lol. MAYBE as a bluray remote I could see it having utility. As a keyboard, not so much.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    its probably possible but improbable.Other than a cool toy i think this would be worthless to most lol. MAYBE as a bluray remote I could see it having utility. As a keyboard, not so much.
    PS3 owners like my self and others on the PS3 forums think its a good idea. It would be very useful for chatting on the PS3 network and while ingame. Even typing in the web browser.

heres my thread on the PS3 forum:
    Using the iPhone as a bluetooth keyboard for the PS3 ? - PLAYSTATION®3 General - PlayStation.com Forums

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Great Idea
    I whole heartedly second this notion. Being able to sync my iPhone with my PS3 to use as either a keyboard or a remote would be sweet. The onscreen keyboard is a pain and I really don't want to go buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, especially if a device I already own can download a program for free off of Cydia and do it for me.

Come on, you know that if you had a PS3 you'd want this too. It's just too cool of an idea to not have this functionality on your iPhone, even if you rarely use it.

But that's just my .02

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love to be able to use it as a remote for my PS3 as well. With FW 3.0 I don't think that it will be all that hard for a dev to do this...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It won't be any easier on 3.0 unless that protocol is implemented into the bluetooth stack

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys,
    As far as I can understand, being an iPhone developer but not having worked with the iPhone (or any, for that matter :P) bluetooth API, it would be a case of documenting the specific protocol that bluetooth devices use to establish and maintain a connection with the console, as well as send and receive commands. Once that is established, it's just a case of building an iPhone app that uses the same protocol.
    Layman's terms: iPhone sends the same identical bluetooth 'messages' that a controller would when connecting and communicating.

I don't own a PS3, but if someone documented the protocol, I could write an app to utilise it.
    Last edited by chrispy212; 04-06-2009 at 07:07 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chrispy212 For This Useful Post:

danishAFG (03-03-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a ps3, how exactly would I go about documenting it? Ill help in anyway possible

Thanks

Someone donate a ps3 for the cause!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Someone donate a ps3 for the cause!
    Well, if you insist... :P

For those wanting to help, You'll need your sixaxis and a bluetooth capable computer, along with bluetooth sniffing software. A quick google should find you something.

Protocol sniffing software will just help you to record the specific messages sent via bluetooth between the sixaxis and connected device (in this case, PC). Connect your PS3 controller or remote via bluetooth to the computer, and record the messages exchanged initially. Then, record messages exchanged for each key press.

It sounds complicated. Heck it probably is. But without a PS3 controller, it's not something I can do unfortunately, but it's information I need.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess it would be a good idea, but it would be one expensive remote... lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't think its quite as complicated as that. The PS3 already has the ability to use a bluetooth keyboard our of the box, just the same as a bluetooth capable PC. Some buttons from the controller might be nice, like say Triangle for bringing up playback options, and screen swiping for the dpad or stick. But for the most part, write an app the uses the same protocol as a popular bluetooth keyboard (which you might be able to simply look up) and that'd be a huge step.

Just did a quick search, maybe someone more experienced could answer if this is useful at all. Free bluetooth rfcomm protocol 1.9.529.0 Download - bluetooth rfcomm protocol 1.9.529.0 Software
    Last edited by aTEK; 04-14-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

aTEK is right. We don't need to make a keyboard that will just work with the PS3, since the PS3 can work with any bluetooth keyboard. All somebody (who knows more about bluetooth than I do) would have to do is create an app that turns the iPhone into a BT keyboard. If that works, then ANYTHING that uses a BT keyboard would theoretically be able to sync with the iPhone and treat it like any other BT keyboard!

Seriously, how cool would that be?

Thanks

^ I agree I would think that would be your best shot

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright, when I get hold of the 3.0 SDK I'll have a look, 'cos 3.0 has much better developer bluetooth support.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Chrispy, have you been able to look into this since the 3.0 SDK is already out?

This would be a very nice app...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah that would be awesome if the PS3 didn't suck eggs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I've been looking to find details of the bluetooth protocol in general, but so far, come a bit short. I'm installing the 3.0 SDK as we speak, so I'll see how far the bluetooth API has progressed, and therefore how possible this app is

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys,
    I am new here but was very intrested in your post. I have found a solution for thoes who just want this for pc/mac control but i am sure it will not work on the PS3 as you need to have a server installed on the PC and client on the iphone.

But the details can be found here
    iPhone : Mobile Air Mouse
    Hope this hepls

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm going to bump this and see if we can't get somebody else interested. I really, really don't want to buy a BT keyboard just for my PS3. I would love to be able to pull my iPhone out of my pocket, kick on BT and be able to type on my iPhone to use my PS3 web browser, enter text, control BluRays, and scroll around the screen.

Who else is with me? Anyone....anyone....Bueller....?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast