Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: VOIP/SIP client for iPhone 3G 2.0.2 DESPERATE

Default VOIP/SIP client for iPhone 3G 2.0.2 DESPERATE
    Anyone knows if it's possible to install smth like X-Lite on the iPhone?

X-Lite is a free VOIP/SIP client. There is a Mac OSX version: CounterPath Corporation | X-Lite

Got it, converted to iso (I'm on Windows XP) with DMGExtractor:

catacombae software

The only thing that worked for me.

Then extracted the files with MagicISO trial.

If you do that, you will get some folders. Thing is there are 3 folders and one file outside folder X-Lite.app

I got 0 experience with MAC - can this be transferred to iPhone and will it work?

Can someone try this out - someone experienced!

This could be useful. It is for me on my comp.

I want it to work on my iPhone, even if only thru WiFi(WLAN).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Fring is a free app on the AppStore and has SIP capibility. I am currently using it with Voipbuster for free calls over WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Fring is a free app on the AppStore and has SIP capibility. I am currently using it with Voipbuster for free calls over WiFi.
    I am using Fring and used to love it. However, their SIP calls go through their proxy and that causes increase in latency. I am also having a hard time initiating an SIP call. Don't know about Skype, but I guess Fring is the only one for that due to Skype's retarded proprietary protocol.

There's an app on cydia called SIAX. The description says it's the perfect VOIP app for the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can someone that actually uses some SIP services give us a proper insight? I have an iphone with no telephone contract attached to it - meaning I have no telephone function, no telephone number associated with it. Is there a service that will let me use my iphone over VOIP/sip without actually having a number assigned to the phone???!
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by jimstr View Post
    Can someone that actually uses some SIP services give us a proper insight? I have an iphone with no telephone contract attached to it - meaning I have no telephone function, no telephone number associated with it. Is there a service that will let me use my iphone over VOIP/sip without actually having a number assigned to the phone???!
    Thanks in advance
    i'm interested in this too.. anyone know?

Default Sip Client
    Hi There is an app called SIP Client (v1.1).

I tested it and it can make sip calls (v1.0 was not working).
    Do not use fring because the call go to fring and then to the provider and in a true sip client the call go directly to the provider the only programs i found in cydia that can do that are SIP client and siphon.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Try "Tango"! It's in the AppStore. It works just as good as the FaceTime. Also, you don't need wifi. It works over 3G. Plus, you can talk to any Cellphone provider who has the app. (sprint, verizon, tmobile). I use it myself.