+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: simple media player to play local stored mp3 files

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hi out there, i wonder why i couldnt find a media player to play any mp3 not stored in the iTunes-DB but laying in the local filedirectory of the iphone
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default simple media player to play local stored mp3 files
    Hi out there,
    i wonder why i couldnt find a media player to play any mp3 not stored in the iTunes-DB but laying in the local filedirectory of the iphone 3g (fw 2.0.2).
    Idea for the use behind is more than simple. I bet you know the Safari Browser Plugin, that gives you the possibility to download mp3 media files (eg from SeeqPod Playable Search - Find. Discover. Watch. Listen. Share.) and store them in "/var/mobile/Library/Downloads".
    Thats really nice but much more nicer it would be, having a media player on the iPhone that can read & play the mp3 content stored in that folder.
    Features of this player could be eg. displaying all stuff in folder ordered from a-z (kind of the default addressbook does), play/pause/next track forward/back, automatically play the next song in list after finishing the last, and a random/repeat feature also would be nice to have.
    What do you think about? I think we definatly need a solution for this, huh? )

Greez ringman
    Last edited by ringman; 09-04-2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spell correction

Green Apple
    Thanks

I could probably knock this up fairly quickly.

Although, I don't have 2.0.2 on my iTouch yet - is that required for what you're talking about?

Also, what is this Safari Browser Plugin that allows you to download mp3 to that certain directory?

Let me know and i'll try and play tomorrow quickly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey stitchwod,
    yeah sure, you can check out this blogpost for all the important information about the new safari download plugin Cydia: Safari Download Plugin 2.0 - iPhone Productivity Tools, iPhone System, iPhone mods - iPhoneFreakz. Its working nice but firmware >=2.0 is needed for this new plugin version.
    If you install it and go to the Seeqpod Website and selct an mp3 file it directly shows you the optinon seen in the screenshot (save or stream).
    After saving choosing "Download!" the files are in the above mentioned directory so we only need a media player beeing able to play stuff from a local directory now. I spent the last 2 days searching for one, but i couldnt find one.

It would really be fantastic if someone could build a solution cause damn i am not good enough to code that by myself :-(.

Greez and have a great day ringman

Green Apple
    Thanks

How do you download the safari plugin?

I can't see it in Cydia and I think I have the correct Repos installed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi stitchwod,

Its in the repo "BigBoss & Planet-iPhone" (http://apt.bigboss.us.com/repofiles/cydia/ ) and you should see it if you have Firmware 2.x installed.

iPhone File Transfer Apps

Greez ringman

Green Apple
    Thanks

Cheers, i'll try again later. I think the BigBoss repo was unavailable earlier.

The app is pretty much finished. I manually copied some mp3's to the folder you mentioned for testing.

I'm heading out now but will put the final touches to it later. Then i'll forward to Poetic Folly to add to the Repo here.

Cheers

Is the Big Boss repo down?

I'm still getting nothing when trying to access it via Cydia

Is the Big Boss repo down?

I'm still getting nothing when trying to access it via Cydia
    Last edited by stitchwod; 09-05-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

this thread is just between stichwod and ringman haha yeah i would appreciate something liek this too. in the old days of 1.1.4 i used send song or sendfile by erica sadun to play my files... I also used mobile finder with avplayer to play my media as well.. as of now none of these have been ported to 2.0. The mobile finder that is in the appstore doesnt give you permission to view into /var and the other "finder" programs (3rd party) dont let you play the song.
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on twitter-@danvicente

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Heya,
    really more than strange ... Cydia told me that 4 hours ago it got some "Changes" from the Big Boss repo, so everything should be ok with it.
    You can download the Safari Plugin 2.0 here (http://iphone.sleepers.net/repofiles...loadplugin.deb). Type the following in Terminal to extract: ar vx safaridownloadplugin.deb or use use dpkg -i to install after copying to your iPhone.
    Last edited by ringman; 09-05-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK, i'll give that a go in a moment thanks.

The app is finished - although I haven't actually tested with Safari yet.

Do people need the ability to edit the directory it looks in? Or will /var/mobile/Library/Downloads/ be enough?

Should have it sent to MMI for the repo hopefully in the next few hours.

It's called "dTunes" - the iTunes alternative for downloads.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow stitchwod i cant believe! You seems to be a killer! ) In my opinion, the path /var/mobile/Library/Downloads/ should be fine for the first release.
    Damn i am really exited to see the result you made in that short timeframe. Again respect. I think i will be sitting here reloading the repo every minute to see your app appearing hahaha. Btw will it show up in the Modmyifone.com repo (Index of /)
    I am thinking about writing a blogpost with a small howto for Mp3 Downloads on the iPhone/iTouch and i would love to mention you there and put some screenshots of the player in. Please lemme know if that would be fine with you.

Many many thx for your work here. I really appreciate that!
    ringman

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey man no problem. Feel free to mention me in your site.

It will indeed be on the MMI repo. I'll get it emailed to Kyle here in the next couple of hours. It would then be up to him on how long it takes?

He did post my Buzzer! game within a day though - that launched today!

Let me know your name and i'll still a credit to you in the app, otherwise "ringman" is going in.

Cool - I'll keep the app to the single directory for now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You got PM ...

Wow i just tryed your buzzer game! Great work too! I love it! I will write a review post about that on my german iPhone multiplayer gaming blog at iPhone-game.de - Online Multiplayer Games und mehr soon!
    Damn i need more time to work on the english version of that. ;-)

Greez ringman

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK, app is done and sent to MMI for uploading to the repo.

Actually came out quite nice, you'll have to let me know.

I did get the plugin working and downloaded a few tracks from the website - it's very good.

Trouble is a few tracks didn't download completely - therefore i've added the ability to delete files - in case it doesn't finish downloading.

Keep an eye on the repo for dTunes.

Enjoy.