Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sync/Backup via WiFi (wireless to itunes)

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sync/Backup via WiFi (wireless to itunes)
    It would be nice if we could let our iphone finish complete backup with itunes every day. The problem is we often times dont bother connecting it to the main itunes computer every day since we are busy with work or on the go. This means we wont have a very current backup should something get corrupted, go wrong or the phone gets lost all together. (happened to me a few times now, sucks when the backup is corrupt from unfinished!)

Since my phone is on my nightstand when I go to sleep every night, it would be great if we could let it perform a full sync/backup to itunes wireless via wifi. Since I'll be going to bed it wouldn't matter if it was slow either.

Does anyone make a jailbroken app to allow for wifi backup/sync?

If not for itunes, how about a 3rd party full backup solution? What is out there for us? Any suggestions?

I've also looked for a USB over Ethernet extender, but the usb 2.0 versions are over 500 bucks! The computer I need to connect to is below my bedroom. I have cat 6 cable though if I could find a nice USB extender that wasnt so expensive.

My main computer is Vista by the way, so mac programs wont work.
    Last edited by JazJon; 08-29-2008 at 02:31 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i like this idea. i think someone else thought of this a month ago though. i havent seen anything on it yet though. my ideas (only adding to yours)...

set a specific time to sync, say 4am.
    maybe an add on for iTunes?
    could this be done/setup through Bluetooth?
    could this be done over 3g? say if your not home at 4am?

great idea though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
    i like this idea. i think someone else thought of this a month ago though. i havent seen anything on it yet though. my ideas (only adding to yours)...

set a specific time to sync, say 4am.
    maybe an add on for iTunes?
    could this be done/setup through Bluetooth?
    could this be done over 3g? say if your not home at 4am?

great idea though!!!
    the problem i see with doing this via 3G would be the inherit problems with creating 50-500MB back up files and transferring them over the cellular network. this would require a ridiculous data plan. i myself have 6GB, which is the highest offered in canada. so i could do that like 4 or 5 times a month which would end up being useless, however i did like the other ideas.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Canada sucks.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.