Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Animated .gif...view the animation?

Thanks

Default Animated .gif...view the animation?
    I have an enormous collection of ani/gif that accidently sync'd to ifone.
    When I noticed the folder in the photo viewer, I checked it but the animation doesn't play...just shows first frame.

So: is there a way to display these with animation?
    Rules one and two ALWAYS in effect.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Unfortunately, it is totally unsupported as of yet.

Closest thing you'll get is Video wallpaper.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Yes, that will convert the file to video format, which will allow you to view it as a video on the iphone. If thats what your wanting, cool.

But the ability to use an animated .gif as something like an icon on the homescreen (which would be really cool) wont work.

yeah, if there was a way to get animated png file to work it would make things really fun.

I personally have no clue.

APNG - the animated PNG

Thanks

Unhappy Shameless Bump
    So no one has any other thoughts on this?
    bummer.....
    Rules one and two ALWAYS in effect.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Use SSH And Create A Wallpaper/LockBackground
    You could create a theme with SSH using a .gif that you have and set it as the background or even the lockscreen wallpaper by doing these simple steps

1.) SSH into your iPhone/iPod Touch (You MUST have OpenSSH installed from Cydia, Plus a SFTP Program on your computer to do this).

2.) Go to var/stash/Themes.RATMVC or var/stash/Themes.g..., depending on your device.

3.) Right click --> New --> Directory [F7] --> Name whatever you want. Capitalized, with the extension ".theme". The theme will appear in Winterboard as this title when you're done.

4.) Go into the newly created directory

5.) Add the .gif image to the new directory by dragging it from the file location on your computer on the left to the directory on the right.

6.) Right click --> New --> File --> Name it "Wallpaper.html" CAPITALIZED! If you want it to be your homescreen wallpaper. (If you want it as your LockScreen Wallpaper, download this: Download LockBack.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way , and extract it, put the HTML file in the directory.

7a.) FOR HOMESCREEN: type this into the file after double clicking on it: IMG WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="480" SRC="______.gif" (Put the file location into the blank by right clicking on it in the directory --> File Names --> Copy To Clipboard (Include Paths) --> and then pasting this into the blank in the HTML file.)

7b.) FOR LOCKSCREEN: Replace the "tix_animation.gif" in the LockBackground.html file with the file location of the gif (look at step 7a).

8.) Activate the theme in Winterboard.

9.) Tahdah!!! All Done, you now have a .gif wallpaper!

I know you were talking about VIEWING GIFs on the photo library, but i thought this might help, since I've tried and failed to find a way to do that yet

Hm, I can think of one way, but it's a very dirty hack. Use a browser like VanillaSurf (there are probably others but I don't know from firsthand experience) and use its option to "download" files to it via a wifi connection. Then view them from within VanillaSurf and it will use Safari's rendering engine to view the .gif somewhat slowly.

Alternatively you could SSH them over somewhere on your phone and use iFile to view them, manually choosing to open them in the Web Viewer rather than the default Image Viewer. I don't think this will work with photos sync'd with iTunes but it's worth a shot.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^Answering Things 2 years Old is Frowned Upon^^^

Really?
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here