Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: LoJack - Lost iPhone 3G - GPS app.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jltdhome's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking LoJack - Lost iPhone 3G - GPS app.
    There are a few applications on the app store that upload your location, speed, and heading to a web server and then it shows you a graph on Google Maps of your routes etc. Unfortunately these applications dont run in the background so it is kinda pointless to have them running unless you want to show friends where you are going. I recommend an application that runs silently in the background and sends your location to a website that is password protected. The application would ALSO be password protected in case a thief should get their hands on your device. I understand Erica Sadun has the findme utility but not only is it complicated to install, it only sends out tweets of the general area location. Not an exact GPS location with information like heading. A good example of the kind of app im talking about is "GPS TRACKER" in the App Store. It automatically uploads your GPS information to instamapper.com and you can keep track of your device. But like I said the application HAS TO BE RUNNING in order for it to work. We need the same concept but something that can run in the background. Also if youre low on battery, you could just open it right up, type in your password, and toggle it off.
    Lightning from the Sky - Thunder from the Sea

i was thinking about that the other day, that would be a good idea, someone should be able to create that, it would have to be from installer or cydia cuz i think all app store gps apps have to ask before they find you
    if this post help click the thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to morphiusrt For This Useful Post:

jltdhome (08-20-2008)

Thanks

this would cut down the already pitiful battery life to next to nothing.

i was just thinking of the exact same idea as jltdhome

having lost my iphone once (stolen), i'd really love to have this kind of app. i was browsing through app store, the closest i found is gps tracker, and it would be great if it could run silently on the background and send out info to a password protected website (with the app password protected too). if the app can be turned on remotely, that's even better, then no worries on the battery life.

it would be good if you could trigger the app to start running by sending a signal to the iphone, that way it wouldn't waste battery life, you just start it running with a WOL style signal over wifi or GPRS or maybe even a phone call from a pre defined number

Could we just have the iPhone check the webserver say once every 6 hours and once on startup and once at shutdown. Wouldn't that save battery life and to some extent help wake an alert function that based on the users options would either constantly phone home its location (just increase the intervals with the addiction of its location), lock out , wipe clean , or something like that?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don;t understand what people are thinking they will accomplish. Your phone gets stolen and you are gonna drive around like some guy on a hunt to find it? Let's get real. Even if you did find the location you don't really have the right to search they guy or anything. Might be useful if you just dropped it somewhere, but then again you can just go back too.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Im glad to say that development of a similar idea is already underway and we will be ready for release in a little while.
    I can release any details now, but i can tell you findmyi.org !

Well once you realize it's stolen, you can find the location quickly. How busted are you, when someone calls their phone number, and hears their own ringtone? Is that not probable cause? Also, how is a gps location not probable cause that your phone is in their house? It is your phone because (1. S/N matches the iPhones box, 2. You set up the tracking.) They can't use their own sim card if you report it stolen with apple/at&t, and they will probably play with the phone for a while first.

FindMyI.org iPhone/iTouch Tracking
    Last edited by dapaintballer331; 10-13-2008 at 11:24 AM.

If someone steals your iphone, what is the first thing it does... It erases all apps when its plugged into itunes. Not only that, but you need to keep GPS on for this to work, which can be easily shut off.

Just lock your phone and put the 10 time erase option on. Report it stolen and get a new one.

Thanks

i think something like this would be great, but it would never work.

the first thing you would do after stealing a phone is remove the sim card.

the iphones gps is assisted gps, correct me if im wrong, which uses cellular towers to triangulate a position, then gps to lock on.

with no sim card this wont work?

i cant be assd to take my sim out and try locate me in maps so if im wrong please tell me.

and if so, that means this will only be useful IF the person that steals the phone doesnt turn it off, doesnt remove the sim card, and does both of these things for the amount of time it takes you to realise you've lost it.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
    If someone steals your iphone, what is the first thing it does... It erases all apps when its plugged into itunes. Not only that, but you need to keep GPS on for this to work, which can be easily shut off.

Just lock your phone and put the 10 time erase option on. Report it stolen and get a new one.
    When synced with iTunes, cydia installed apps, and locked apps are not removed.

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    i think something like this would be great, but it would never work.

the first thing you would do after stealing a phone is remove the sim card.

the iphones gps is assisted gps, correct me if im wrong, which uses cellular towers to triangulate a position, then gps to lock on.

with no sim card this wont work?

i cant be assd to take my sim out and try locate me in maps so if im wrong please tell me.

and if so, that means this will only be useful IF the person that steals the phone doesnt turn it off, doesnt remove the sim card, and does both of these things for the amount of time it takes you to realise you've lost it.
    AlJaMa is the expert on the iPhone's assisted GPS. I know for a fact that it uses GPS satellites, Cell phone towers, and nearby WiFi access points. (Most big wifi companies work with Apple. EX: at&t, tmobile, they are in most mcdonalds, starbucks, book stores, airports, etc.

After stealing an iPhone, why would you instantly remove the sim card? Then you can't use it...

This is definitely not foolproof, and it will be thoroughly tested before it would cost a penny to anyone. It is however better than all AppStore apps, and similar apps. It runs in the background, minimizing battery usage, and doesn't require physical interaction with the phone.
    Last edited by dapaintballer331; 10-14-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapaintballer331 View Post
    When synced with iTunes, cydia installed apps, and locked apps are not removed.

AlJaMa is the expert on the iPhone's assisted GPS. I know for a fact that it uses GPS satellites, Cell phone towers, and nearby WiFi access points. (Most big wifi companies work with Apple. EX: at&t, tmobile, they are in most mcdonalds, starbucks, book stores, airports, etc.

After stealing an iPhone, why would you instantly remove the sim card? Then you can't use it...

This is definitely not foolproof, and it will be thoroughly tested before it would cost a penny to anyone. It is however better than all AppStore apps, and similar apps. It runs in the background, minimizing battery usage, and doesn't require physical interaction with the phone.
    ive found a phone or 2 in my time.first thing to do is switch it off, period. then removing the sim card makes the phone completely untraceable for the previous owner. if they try and ring the phone, straight to the answer phone.

imei numbers are traced however, no matter what carriers being used so this may be an idea to counteract the change of sim cards if possible?

the only way this could be done effectively is if apple themselves introduced something deep in the firmware that is still present after a restore/change of sim cards.

im interested to see what happens here, my friend lost his iphone out one night and it was switched off as soon as he realised and a call never got through to it since
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker