+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Offline Google Maps! Cash Offer Inside!

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Simple. You make offline google maps work, I give you money. Payment goes to the first person or group to create and publish freely here (free to use/modify) an easy
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Offline Google Maps! Cash Offer Inside!
    Simple.

You make offline google maps work, I give you money.

Payment goes to the first person or group to create and publish freely here (free to use/modify) an easy method to:

a) capture google maps and import them into the iPhone
    b) use the included maps.app

If I use google maps 3 times every work day of the week, I'm looking at approximately $50 per month from Rogers or FIDO (which Rogers owns) not including any other data traffic. There is no GSM competition in Canada therefore no choice. Choice was eliminated last year when Rogers bought up the only competition.

I am more than happy to test as I will use the mapping app DAILY.

THANKS!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Code:
    http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.5.04b.zip
    this app is made for homebrew on psp, but it has an option to extract for iphone/ipod

i have yet to find a decent guide, or even figure it out myself, so if you figure it out, be sure to share

(if youve got enough money to give away to ppl, you should considder buying a psp and a gps device... youtube Mapthis... its great =))
    Last edited by Cormin; 01-22-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

This isn't modmypsp.com :P :P

I have a PSP already :P :P

I will definitely post up any information I come across.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Am I the only one who wants this?

Anyone?

Search for ogmaps on google - a Python script to capture google map tiles.

Help!

$ available! If you're interested in this, please post!

THANKS!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADRIDE View Post
    Simple.

You make offline google maps work, I give you money.

Payment goes to the first person or group to create and publish freely here (free to use/modify) an easy method to:

a) capture google maps and import them into the iPhone
    b) use the included maps.app

If I use google maps 3 times every work day of the week, I'm looking at approximately $50 per month from Rogers or FIDO (which Rogers owns) not including any other data traffic. There is no GSM competition in Canada therefore no choice. Choice was eliminated last year when Rogers bought up the only competition.

I am more than happy to test as I will use the mapping app DAILY.

THANKS!
    First... for $60 a month, you can get 1GB of Data through Rogers so you can use Maps til you're blue in the face.

The North American TOMTOM street map is 1GB in size. Googles is more detailed so you can imagine its size. Wouldn't be practical to have on your phone, unless of course someone comes out with GPS for the iPhone.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

FIDO does not offer the plan. Rogers will ONLY do so with a 3 year CONTRACT (I called and asked). All of Canada for Mapopolis is 400MB, so what? I would gladly give up 2GB if I had to so that I could use google maps OFFLINE. I've been with FIDO for 10 years+ and I have never had or will agree to any "contract".

Even IF Rogers was willing to provide fairly priced data plans, this wouldn't help in areas where there is little to no cellular coverage which is also part of the reason I want this (no, I do not want a GPS for this purpose, strictly offline maps and on the iPhone).
    Last edited by 1BADRIDE; 02-11-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks

FIDO does not offer the plan. Rogers will ONLY do so with a 3 year CONTRACT (I called and asked). All of Canada for Mapopolis is 400MB, so what? I would gladly give up 2GB if I had to so that I could use google maps OFFLINE. I've been with FIDO for 10 years+ and I have never had or will agree to any "contract".

Even IF Rogers was willing to provide fairly priced data plans, this wouldn't help in areas where there is little to no cellular coverage which is also part of the reason I want this (no, I do not want a GPS for this purpose, strictly offline maps and on the iPhone).
    If you don't want to use the maps as a guide (GPS) exactly what would you need a full map of Canada for on your phone? It would serve little purpose as a street guide on a 3" screen.

The Government of Canada (and Ontario where I am) have full PDF street and highway maps that you can download if you wish. You want the URL?

And regarding "contracts", the only purpose of them is to subsidize the cost of phones Rogers offers at discounted prices. As you already have a phone, all you would need is a Rogers SIM ($25) and sign up for a plan. No contracts. And you could have any Data plan you wished. The only reason you would require a 3 year contract is if you were signing up and purchasing a blackberry or PDA.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well according to the rep I spoke to, there is no such data plan you mentioned. They offered me $20/month for 7mb/month and up from there. If I SWITCHED to Rogers from Fido, and signed up for a 3-year plan, they were offering something a little better, but it was $100/month on top of the airtime plan. I specifically asked about the $60/1GB and the rep had no information on it.

I will call again today - are you in a different region than me? I am in Toronto.

Stop questioning what I want :P - I have my reasons and simply wanting it should be good enough of one.

I would use the PDF's except I cannot plot a route using address to address searches. I have a map book too BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANT EITHER

I want offline google maps, and I'm willing to pay for it if the price is reasonable. I'm willing to discuss monetary compensation with anyone who is serious about making this happen.

Thanks!

FYI: FIDO Offers unlimited "surfing" for $7/month, but here is a special note:

"The Unlimited surfing on your Fido option includes unlimited mobile surfing on your handset and is only available on selected handsets only (non-Fido certified handsets, Windows Mobile devices and PC cards are not eligible). Data usage incurred on ineligible handsets and devices, incurred while tethering (using a handset or device as a wireless modem or laptop) or incurred using non-Fido (third party) applications downloaded to your handset will be subject to a pay-per-use charge of 5 per KB. Option applies within Canada only. While roaming outside Canada, data transmission charge of 5 per KB apply, except in the U.S. where data transmission charges of 1 per KB apply. "

After being a customer for over 10 years, I'm going to ask to see if they'll make an exception.
    Last edited by 1BADRIDE; 02-12-2008 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks

Well according to the rep I spoke to, there is no such data plan you mentioned. They offered me $20/month for 7mb/month and up from there. If I SWITCHED to Rogers from Fido, and signed up for a 3-year plan, they were offering something a little better, but it was $100/month on top of the airtime plan. I specifically asked about the $60/1GB and the rep had no information on it.
    Ok, tell you what you do... call them, tell them to go here:

http://your.rogers.com/business/wire...?plan=flexrate

Then ask them how the hell they keep their job without knowing what products and services they offer.

But don't listen to me, you rely on some twit who'd rather pick their nose than assist you, and who'd rather watch youtube all day than learn about how to do their job well. To each his own.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Ok, tell you what you do... call them, tell them to go here:

http://your.rogers.com/business/wire...?plan=flexrate

Then ask them how the hell they keep their job without knowing what products and services they offer.

But don't listen to me, you rely on some twit who'd rather pick their nose than assist you, and who'd rather watch youtube all day than learn about how to do their job well. To each his own.

Ugh... I expected a lot more from a Mod.

IF I WANTED A DATA PLAN, THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD WOULD BE: I WANT A DATA PLAN.

I'm not relying on anyone, and I'm NOT shopping for a data plan and I'm not switching from FIDO. Maybe you need to re-read my request and KNOW THAT ALL I WANT IS OFFLINE GOOGLE MAPS.

Fido is going to get back to me on a data plan. THIS WILL NOT RESOLVE THE ISSUE OF BEING OUT OF SIGNAL AREA AND WANTING TO USE GOOGLE MAPS.

This is like:

ME: I want a car.
    YOU: TTC Bus passes are $80
    ME: I want a car and FYI TTC says bus passes are $120.
    YOU: Well you can beleive me or some nose picking twit blah blah blah...

DUDE, I WANT THE CAR. In other words, I don't want a workaround or an alternative at this stage - I only want what I am asking for, is that really so difficult to understand? I can get into pages if you really want me to explain WHY I need/want this, BUT I'D RATHER NOT BECAUSE IT'S NOT YOUR BUSINESS.

I say I want it, and I'm willing to pay. Simple. I don't care for Rogers, or any reps anywhere so NO, I'm not going to call them to educate them for free. Cost of the data plan is just ONE factor of a few that is stopping me from utilizing google maps.
    Last edited by 1BADRIDE; 02-12-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks

Sorry to try to be of some help. Since you "can't have the car", I thought I'd offer viable solutions. The information stored in Google Maps, even for one country, is in the Terabytes. But good luck with your request, I'll say no more.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

I am also on Fido and would love to have an offline google maps I thought about this before just never thought about asking so I totally am for this!

Banned
    Thanks

Offline google maps is like...getting a cheeseburger with no meat, cheese, or condiments.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Sorry to try to be of some help. Since you "can't have the car", I thought I'd offer viable solutions. The information stored in Google Maps, even for one country, is in the Terabytes. But good luck with your request, I'll say no more.

No worries friend. Appreciate the attempt, but the proposed "solution" is NOT viable as there is no signal in the area.

It is NOT in terrabytes, but hundreds of megabytes. I do not need all zoom levels, maybe the lowest 10 levels which STILL will not be huge. How do I know? Search for OGMAPS - someone has done it and downloaded a few zoom levels, at HUNDREDS of megs, not TERRABYTES. I'm willing to give up a GB or two if I need to.

All I really need is Canada or if I have to be more specific, Ontario & Quebec.

Quote Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
    Offline google maps is like...getting a cheeseburger with no meat, cheese, or condiments.

How so? LOL.

No signal, not in coverage area... options:

1) use a bunch of PDF's with no ability to plot a route
    2) use a paper map
    3) use your iPhone with offline google maps
    4) carry another device (gps, pda, etc...)

#3 sounds best to me.
    Last edited by 1BADRIDE; 02-12-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

formerly known as arturpokusin playful_cyanide's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
    No. it's like ordering a cheeseburger with triple meat, double cheese, and half the condiments in the store.... (in some ways)

Oh, and by the way, can anyone get me the offline google maps of USA? Cause that'd be greaaaat. mmmkay?
    Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default would be nice.
    woh! weird analagies coming into play now

i am just happy that wikipedia is available offline.

but of course, it would be the icing on the proverbial cake to have maps offline i agree, size issue would come into play as mentioned. the wikipedia alone is 2GB, and that is just textual information. think of the binary data and associated files needed for maps!

maybe when we are a few gens into the iphone with bigger storage it would be viable, but i am sure GPS will kick in before that is possible. so 'offline' may become an un-needed way of obtaining mapping.

i would definitely pay for it also, like a commercial one off fee or license, as i only have wi-fi in the house, no data plan or on the go data reception.

good luck with the request and hope it comes to fruition down the line...
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I make my map work very seasy on my 3G iPhone SO 3.0 and I can see with no Interenet conection or Data plan.
    Here you go guys!

I was playing with my iPhone 3G after I upgrade to SO 3.0 with a map. I used on old version OfflineMaps but this wont work with SO 3.0
    After installing Chronus ( replacement of TimeCapsule) from Cydia/Installer to my iPhone and I back up maps cache I saw the location of the city with out of the Internet connection or data plan. This will let you back up the correct map you browsing on iPhone and you can use later offline . I replaced the MapTiles.sqlitedb file with the file I used for OfflineMaps with iPhoneBrowser. It's big file and cover all Ontario and East/North USA.
    I went for ride on motorcycle and try the map on more places around the city and out of the city and work perfect. I can see all Ontario and half US and location was always perfect.

Use iPhoneBrowser and the file is located in

var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/MapCache/ (folder named with the date and time you back up your last map on iPhone)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am not very tech savvy
    Please explain in more details.
    I have xgps and I tried to download washington state map in my iphone.
    It started downloading but stopped when it was at 43%. Not sure why. same thing happened twice.
    If you could explain what you did, I would appreciate it.