+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Password Protect SMS

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
This could be quite a hard one but thought id post and see if anyone has any ideas... so when you load up sms it will promt you to enter
    Thanks

Question Password Protect SMS
    This could be quite a hard one but thought id post and see if anyone has any ideas... so when you load up sms it will promt you to enter a password to proceed .. or something along those lines. Anobody have any ideas?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes and this has been promised before by Aaronjang the maker of weTool and weToolUS, unfortunately its been quite something since the last update (0.3.7.1).

Seems easy but... maybe its quite hard since it should be involving (logically), taking out the records you wanted from the original sms.db (sms database) and put it in other database to browse it...also put it back in the sms.db if you want to unhide it.

Furthermore, wait for sms to come, check the number it comes from then automatically take it out from the sms.db before it is showed in the notification in iphone screen..

By saying that, if you're able to hook at the time when sms come, you should be able also hook at when call comes, then voila! you can create the call filter.

what am i mumbling...am thinking to far, and should start to learn Obj C..

amf
    Green Apple
    Thanks

That's a cool idea to hide specific SMS message, asae!

I am no programmer but if the idea is to only lock the SMS app and a pass should be inputted to open it, would it be possible to make a script that would change the permission of the SMS app?

To change the permission to executable (and thus the SMS app opens), a password should be tapped and if the password is not correct, the permission does not change so that the SMS app does not open.

Just an idea from a noob.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amf View Post
    ...lock the SMS app and a pass should be inputted to open it, would it be possible to make a script that would change the permission of the SMS app?

To change the permission to executable (and thus the SMS app opens), a password should be tapped and if the password is not correct, the permission does not change so that the SMS app does not open.
    Hmm...interesting, seem doable with simple script for the password prompting with the help from Erica Sadun's doPrompt application (although the password will still be kept in a plaintext format)...then continue change the permission. I can also execute MobileSMS inside MobileSMS.app, problem is, when I tried to push home to exit MobileSMS.app it won't let me . So I have to terminate it via terminal/ssh.

I've tried to mimic other app parameter that has been called from Springboard ie. "/var/root/Applications/MobileNotes.app/MobileNotes --launchedFromSB" so i put the "--launchedFromSB" as addition, but still it won't let me quit, pressing the home button does nothing.

So still need to find the right parameter to let the sms.app quit normally..

Another issue is, how to detect whether MobileSMS is being use or not, if not, then change the permission back to non-executable (waiting for a password again). This means the new sms protector program should run in background as a daemon and checking every let say 5 minutes whether there is MobileSMS in the process and if not, change the permission.

So looking from above journey, maybe its better to leave it to the hand of the experts, creator of weiSMS, SMSD or weTool ? acdc? amrut?

Quote Originally Posted by amf View Post
    Just an idea from a noob.
    don't worry, me noob too

amf
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for trying asae! Merry Christmas!

Green Apple
    Thanks

How about an option to disable to pop-up preview of the sms?

Thanks

yea, pop ups will get me caught -up....i want them off