+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change iPhone user agent

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Being able to change the user agent would be quite helpful in many instances. The beauty of the iPhone is that it browses standard web pages. But some websites want
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Change iPhone user agent
    Being able to change the user agent would be quite helpful in many instances. The beauty of the iPhone is that it browses standard web pages. But some websites want to be "helpful" by detecting the iphone and then producing a specially formatted page which often dilutes the usefulness of the site. A prime example is Google which automatically goes to a less useful "mobile" page. Another is Bank of America which actually prohibits use of various accounts through its mobile service.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

bump...

dyin for some kind of solution for this

iPhone? More like MyPhone Renblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Well on google (for example) you are given the option to swith to standard web layout.

Have you checked on Cydia or Installer for a fix or modification?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,
    Is there any way to change the Iphone's user agent string? Sites like applicationmanager.gov refuse access to Safari users and Iphone refuses installation of other browsers. Could I change the Iphone user agent string to imitate IE, Firefox, or Opera, like a regular desktop user? If so, how?
    Thanks.

Or are there any other ways to trick a website into thinking you're not using Safari? Or to install a different browser on the Iphone?

-Darcness

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey... just letting y'all know that I've come up with a beta hack to change the user agent for anyone who is comfortable enough manually editing a couple files.

[MobileSafari] How to change User Agent ? - Hackint0sh

If anyone out there is interested in building a patcher+user agent switcher interface based on this hack please feel free to do so

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Figured it out...
    I know this thread is SUPER old, but I figured out a hack that WORKS. It worked for my anyway, on my jailbroken 2g iPhone on 3.1.3 OS version.

I have the SBsettings toggle for "user agent faker" installed via Cydia. What I did, on my mac, using a program called, "iPhone Explorer" I went to the directory for var<mobile<library<SBsettings<toggles<UAfaker<UAfa ker.plist

simply copy the plist file onto your desktop, and open inside of any text reader. Between the <string> and </string> you will see the user agent for firefox. What you need to do is change the user agent string to any of the compatible ones that applicationmanager.gov specifies (or higher versions of those ones.) I chose to test it with Opera 9.2 for mac. The web site works perfectly on my iPhone now, and I can view the full facebook page AND make comments and send emails. Before, the 'comment' and 'send' buttons would not work when using UAfaker toggle.

You can view a lor more user agent string at this web site: Browser ID Strings (a.k.a. User Agent ID) I persoannly like the one for desktop safari because pages load faster, but wutev's. I hope this helps for you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GeoffreyS For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (07-27-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is this hack that I just discovered that allows you to change the user agent in Safari for iOS without Jailbreak.

-m

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default User Agent Faker
    Maybe I'm mixed up. I watch MuchMovies.com which has great free films but only works on an iPhone or Android phone. Their website on my laptop is only short trailers. I want to watch movies on my laptop - bigger screen, better sound. Will User Agent Faker let me watch their films on my laptop? Also, is UAF a free download? Saw posts to buy it on Cydia, but can't even find it on Cydia on my iPhone. Help a brother out!