Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wanting to learn

iPhone? More like MyPhone coiledserpent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Default wanting to learn
    you may laugh but i would like to know what would be the best book to start reading in order to get to know how to build code for applications or apps?
    i build custom pcs for a living and i always wanted to get into the software side of it but never took the plunge but now with the iphone its really got me wanting to finally take the finger out and learn.

Hi!
    I learned most I know about programing by reading online documents (I don't have a single printed programming book). If you want to learn cocoa, Apple has some quite interesting introductions, but you'd also learn a lot with the tutorials from http://cocoadevcentral.com/.

Hope I helped you, Choo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Choo_ For This Useful Post:

coiledserpent (12-05-2007)

i bought "Programming in Objective-C".
    i also read "beginners cocoa", and "cocoa with objective-c" by orielly. the first recommendation is a book that teaches platform dependant obj-c with use of a makefile. so it is a really good book for the way that building iphone apps is

5. The Following User Says Thank You to drunknbass For This Useful Post:

coiledserpent (12-05-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone coiledserpent's Avatar
    Thanks
    thanks guys,i'll get right on it

I bought Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, which is good, but the second edition is XCode oriented. I think the first edition might be more useful for iPhone programming today.

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    I bought Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, which is good, but the second edition is XCode oriented. I think the first edition might be more useful for iPhone programming today.
    The first edition is no more focussed on the iPhone (after all, these 2 editions were released in 2001 and 2002). XCode is fine for developing iPhone apps, and apps for a wide variety of applications, so it won't be time wasted (although I much prefer vi, make, and gcc myself).

Umm, I develop on Windows so XCode is not very useful to me.

If the earlier edition focuses on creating UI without using an IDE, that is exactly what I do on the iPhone right now.