+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does re-storing iphone hide all evidence......

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
hi there guys....ill make it quick...dropped myiphone now the top half is ' dead to touch'....meaning any app or button or ANYTHING that is on the top half of the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Does re-storing iphone hide all evidence......
    hi there guys....ill make it quick...dropped myiphone now the top half is ' dead to touch'....meaning any app or button or ANYTHING that is on the top half of the phone wont react when touched. my question to you guys is this.....i restored my iphone to factory settings and now i am at the activate iphone screen....i am going to give it to the apple store and tell them that it is brand new out of the box and the top half doesnt work which they will notice when trying to use the emergency dial keypad. even though i restored the phone to factory state is there any evidence left of all the 3rd party apps i had on my iphone? i dont want them to find any hacks on there that i had cuz they wont service it then. so am i in the clear???

iPhone? More like MyPhone SubZ3r0's Avatar
    Thanks

well.... ever since i got my iphone with firmware 1.0.2....i had apps and everything on it...... now i upgraded the firmware to 1.1.2 and after jailbreaking it...and installing apps....one happened to be Apollo IM....and it still had my settings and accounts for aim and msn....so the folders and stuff must stay there or something....im not sure how it still had my account information and settings for a few other apps as well...

the kanye west of programming drunknbass's Avatar
    Thanks

you UPGRADED your phone so it kept everything in your preferences folder which includes your apollo settings. if you restore it should wipe that folder out.

Thanks

Full restore wipes it clean.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

that's not totally true. I've restored a couple times only to see once I jailbroke again that previous files were still on my phone. So doing a restore doesn't totally remove everything. You could manually do it with ssh or whatever you choose.

Jordan

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how do i truly wipe it clean with ssh? i dont know how to use the program...plus i cant even use the top half of my screen remember...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think if you've done the youtube fix from Installer, etc, then it might leave behind a couple of zip files here and there.

If the Apple engineers really wanted to find out if you jailbroke/unlocked your iPhone I'm sure there would be a bit of evidence there.

Van
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Preferences are saved...
    Preferences are saved in the backup itunes does to save all your SMSes and numbers and crap. So, if, after a restore, you go into the settings app and tell it to reset to factory settings, it will delete your preference files.

Bottom line is, after doing a restore, Apple is not going to give you crap at the Bar, they don't have time to look into your iPhone's filesystem for evidence of a previous hack. They will, however, be looking for physical damage. But if the phone looks good and it is just the touchscreen that is on the fritz, you are golden.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Revirginize it..saerch this forums for instructions!!
    itll make it look like a new iphone OTB...now way to find out whether jailbroken or not!
    Did I Help you?? Then Hit the Thanks button!
    16gb iPhone running 1.1.4
    Jailbroken and Unlocked!
    MMi ROCKS!!!!