+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Compiling problems

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
So I'm working on making my own apps but am still in the learning phase. I'm pretty new to cocoa and objective c so I'm mostly learning by example. When
    Thanks

Default Compiling problems
    So I'm working on making my own apps but am still in the learning phase. I'm pretty new to cocoa and objective c so I'm mostly learning by example.

When I try to compile this program http://iappaday.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Leftover/

It throws me an error about not having the WebCore/WebFontCache.h header. I looked, and indeed there is no such header. If i look in the iphone filesystem I see a WebCore framework hidden in there though.

Any suggestions?
    My Installer Source for themes, wallpapers, and keyboards: http://www.apogeeltd.com

Thanks

Get a copy from Erica Sadun's site.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

chemicalcomfort (12-02-2007)

the kanye west of programming drunknbass's Avatar
    Thanks

you should have it, but if you have compiled a toolchain recently you'll be missing ALOT of headers. try looking in the berilos page and getting all the missing headers from the svn and putting them with the rest of your headers in /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/include/
    im assuming you have toolchain 3.0 cause if you used the installer dmg for 2.0 youd have the headers i think.. if you are using the old dmg installer the headers go in a diff folder, but im sure you know where that is.

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/iphone-binutils/
    Last edited by drunknbass; 12-01-2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: forgot link

5. The Following User Says Thank You to drunknbass For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    you should have it, but if you have compiled a toolchain recently you'll be missing ALOT of headers. try looking in the berilos page and getting all the missing headers from the svn and putting them with the rest of your headers in /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/include/
    im assuming you have toolchain 3.0 cause if you used the installer dmg for 2.0 youd have the headers i think.. if you are using the old dmg installer the headers go in a diff folder, but im sure you know where that is.

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/iphone-binutils/
    I actually didn't use any dmg for my toolchain, instead I compiled it mostly from source, as were the instructions at the time since a binary hadn't been constructed then (this was a couple weeks ago).

I haven't had a chance to check it out (since I've been super busy getting the new server going) but I'm fairly certain this will fix all my problems. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much you have just helped me out. I'll let you know if it works out for me.
    Last edited by chemicalcomfort; 12-02-2007 at 01:01 AM.
    My Installer Source for themes, wallpapers, and keyboards: http://www.apogeeltd.com

Thanks

the binary has been out for a while, but it is an older toolchain.. if you built recently you are prob using the 3.0, and these headers should help with your problems.

Thanks

the binary has been out for a while, but it is an older toolchain.. if you built recently you are prob using the 3.0, and these headers should help with your problems.
    Ok so I actually looked through the headers on berliOS and there's no WebCore headers or anything. I'm fairly certain there's far less headers there then what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    Get a copy from Erica Sadun's site.
    I tried this also and it now throws me an error saying: Undefined symbols:
    .objc_class_name_WebFontCache

It should also be mentioned I got the header files by extracting them from XCode2.5 (I also tried 3.0 but no luck)
    Last edited by chemicalcomfort; 12-02-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

extracted them for xcode? those headers that come with xcode are for osx..

you should have added the berlios headers to yours. not replaced them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to drunknbass For This Useful Post:

Thanks

extracted them for xcode? those headers that come with xcode are for osx..

you should have added the berlios headers to yours. not replaced them.
    Ya I needed the headers from xcode because I'm actually trying to program on Ubuntu. How else was I supposed to get them? And ya I added them not replaced them.

Thanks

well i cant help you then.. the headers for osx go in a completly seperate area than the toolchain. but i have no idea how setting a toolchain up on ubuntu is so i cant really help you.

Thanks

Hrm thanks anyway. Maybe I'll try doing it with Cygwin or OSX

Thanks

I don't get that error, did you edit your Makefile to fix the compiler names and remove the -Wl option and the extra -I includes?

Top of my working Makefile for this app:
    CC=arm-apple-darwin-gcc
    CXX=arm-apple-darwin-g++
    CFLAGS=-fsigned-char -O3
    LDFLAGS=-lobjc -ObjC -framework CoreFoundation -framework Foundation -framework UIKit -framework LayerKit -framework CoreGraphics -framework GraphicsServices
    LD=$(CC)
    APPNAME=Leftover

This is my WebFontCache.h:
    /*
    * Generated by class-dump 3.1.1.
    * class-dump is Copyright (C) 1997-1998, 2000-2001, 2004-2006 by Steve Nygard.
    */

#import <Foundation/NSObject.h>

@interface WebFontCache : NSObject
    {
    }

+ (struct __GSFont *)createFontWithFamilyid)fp8 traitsunsigned int)fp12 sizefloat)fp16;

@end

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

k i duped the makefile to match yours, but now it throws No rule to make target `main.o', needed by `App'. Stop.

but it's clearly there in my makefile. if i remove main.o from the makefile, it throws Undefined symbols: _main.

i don't understand why it says it's not there when it is, but compiles with it's not there, but throws that error. I so confused...

EDIT:

I tried compiling my own program that used the WebFontCache object and it compiled! YAY! I'm still curious why the compiler is being so goofy with LeftOver though. :-/
    Last edited by chemicalcomfort; 12-02-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks

The no rule for main.o is occurring because there is no main.h and the %.o line depends on %.h - either remove the %.h or copy the two lines down and remove %.h from the copy.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

chemicalcomfort (12-03-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    The no rule for main.o is occurring because there is no main.h and the %.o line depends on %.h - either remove the %.h or copy the two lines down and remove %.h from the copy.
    AH HA! That totally fixed it. You must forgive me, I've not really ever directly messed with a makefile, so I'm uncertain of how it works exactly. Thank you so much! You are a champ!

Thanks

No problem - glad it started working.