Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App To Switch Off Phone Signal But Not Wifi

Default App To Switch Off Phone Signal But Not Wifi
    Hey there

Just wondering if any developers fancy listening to this idea,

Everytime I plug my iphone into my speaker dock it tells me that they were not made for the iphone and that I should press yes to turn phone into airplane safe mode to eliminate all the static noise from the cell signal, Which is great, but now with this nice iradio app to stream web radio it would be nice to listen to the stations through the speaker dock and it cant because when you switch plane safe on you lose all wireless signals including wifi,

Be great if we could keep the wifi on.

Apologies if its been asked before or if there is already an app for this.

Thanks

Yes, it's called Services.app

Download it through the Installer.app
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Services app does not switch off the phone signal, only the edge service, bluetooth, wifi and ssh.

I was on about something to switch off the phone side of things whilst leaving on the Wifi for the streaming, because in a dock wifi will not interfer with the speakers, were as a phone signal makes that god damn awful noise

iToggle...

Problem Solved, many thanks, itoggle works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by judgejase View Post
    Problem Solved, many thanks, itoggle works a treat.

Seems I was too quick to say problem solved, Although itoggle does switch off the phone signal it does a lot more too, maybe unintentionally.

I have a JBL soundstage and the iphone does work in there except that you get a message on iphone telling you to turn on plane mode.

I wanted to play iradio through the speakers but there wasnt a way to just have wifi and no phone signal (did want to hear all the phone static noise) so i installed itoggle, I turn off the phone signal in itoggle and i insert into my speaker dock only to find i have no sound whatsoever through the dock, so I pulled phone out of dock and still no sound, I had to reboot iphone through sysinfo 3 times before I got my sound back, So i have uninstalled itoggle until I can possibly find some sort of fix for this.

Can anybody help me please.
    Last edited by judgejase; 11-19-2007 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You seem to have purchased a phone, but don't want to use it as a phone. Maybe you would do better with an iPod Touch. Just a thought.

I actually purchased a Phone that has lots of cool features to which I am trying to utilise as best as possible, apple are working on a speaker set with some kind of chip that eliminates the noise and I just thought that maybe there could be some sort of cheaper way to achieve this,

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not sure if this is the same scenario that I encountered but upon plugging my iPhone into my ipod car stereo player and it gave me the same message this also happened with my bose iPod speakers. I just disregarded the message and left everything on they both work perfectly. If your speakers are wireless or you have a radio transmitter this might change but if it helps your welcome.

Not quite the same, all I wanted to do was use my exsisting ipod speaker dock with the iphone to stream music from iradio without the phone noise interference, but to get rid of the phone signal i had to get rid of wifi too, I tried itoggle and when I switched off the phone signal I lost sound altogether

wow eurisko you should be cut from being a moderator at this site for being so rude. Anyways, yea i know what you mean. I clicked phone off and have been paying for it ever since. I thought it was to turn of the cellular service. Apparently not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loujob View Post
    wow eurisko you should be cut from being a moderator at this site for being so rude. Anyways, yea i know what you mean. I clicked phone off and have been paying for it ever since. I thought it was to turn of the cellular service. Apparently not.
    Rude? In what way pray tell? I merely pointed out that if you want to turn off the phone, why have it. The iPod touch provides all the features of the iPhone, simply without the phone feature. Speaking as a person whose iPhone is his primary device, I wouldn't think of turning it off no matter what sounds it made.

But each person interprets responses as they want to, that's not my responsibility.

I agree 100% with judgejase here,
    i have the same problem not only with the speaker issue but Í use my phone for work as well as private use and sometimes it's nice to switch the phone off but still have use of all the other services such as wifi and bluetooth.
    I do leave the phone signal on while playing through my speakers but how annoying is that noise especially when the volume is cranked up?!?!

wouldnt the ability to turn off just the phone signal help in scenarios where you get no service and are on wifi, this way your not killing your battery by having it keep searching for cell towers when its never going to find one, but you can continue to surf using wifi.

use itoggle from mmi source in installer