View Poll Results: what do u think about a windows mobile emulator on the iphone

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • i think its possible

44 31.43%
  • i think its impossible

9 6.43%
  • i think it would be great

55 39.29%
  • i think it would be a bad idea

32 22.86%
+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: windows mobile emulator

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by Dan0609 Although the possibility probably isnt there and including the fast fact that I love Apple more.... But you cant deny that most people and companys are
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan0609 View Post
    Although the possibility probably isnt there and including the fast fact that I love Apple more.... But you cant deny that most people and companys are using windows machines. I impose that instead of creating a dual boot OS we make most office program documents campatible and editable on iPhone/iPod Touch... lol I would like the ability for on the go editing... Like iPhone Excel!!

(I can dream, cant I?)
    thats possible... the one issue is staring at that 2 inch screen and typing with that key board to edit the documents... it would be kinda anoying... but it would be part of the dual boot WinMo
    always hit the thanks button

no signature spam/links... Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats possible,but its dumb

Thanks

Ok, we get it, iPhone is better, blah, blah, blah.

That's really not even entirely true. Either way having both would be a great thing.
    Running:
    iPhone 4 4.0 Jailbreakme
    iPad Wifi 3.2 jailbreakme
    AT&T

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dan0609's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont feel it would be stupid for those of us who could really use document editing on the go (simple text imput, nothing fancy)... Microsoft already creates an Office suit for Mac, thats prob. because no one has completely paralelled the success of Excel, Word, etc;

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MMSiphone View Post

That's really not even entirely true. Either way having both would be a great thing.
    that my point... i know iphone is better... who doesnt... but it would be great to have both... so can i get a developers opinion any one???

Thanks

Emulating windows mobile would be hard on the cpu. Why would we even do this? It might be possible to run on the arm9 as I've read somewhere that Windows CE 6 can run on arm9, but what is the point? Any apps that Windows mobile has, we can make applications to replace. The only advantage Windows Mobile has is flash support.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m3thodandr3d View Post
    Emulating windows mobile would be hard on the cpu. Why would we even do this? It might be possible to run on the arm9 as I've read somewhere that Windows CE 6 can run on arm9, but what is the point? Any apps that Windows mobile has, we can make applications to replace. The only advantage Windows Mobile has is flash support.
    yes it has flash... it has doc editing... it open source... and im not too aquainted with it so im sure there are alot more

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MMSiphone View Post

Yeah we understand that, we're just saying. I agree, it would be the fact that we could get it to work on the iPhone that would be a great feat. Means many more possible and amazing things to come.

But I think the first step is to get Linux working first. I hope development is still underway with that.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
    Yeah we understand that, we're just saying. I agree, it would be the fact that we could get it to work on the iPhone that would be a great feat. Means many more possible and amazing things to come.

But I think the first step is to get Linux working first. I hope development is still underway with that.
    i dont think it is... linux would be harder cause i dont beilive thier is a linux mobile and there is no shot on getting reg linux to work on an iphone... not enought processor power or ram

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cscho0415 View Post
    i dont think it is... linux would be harder cause i dont beilive thier is a linux mobile and there is no shot on getting reg linux to work on an iphone... not enought processor power or ram
    Dev's have been attempting to get it to work on the iPhone since the Bootloader was cracked. I believe it is possible to get the os on there, it's not highly performance dependent... There is a forum here on it and everything, check it out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dan0609's Avatar
    Thanks

true... But if you have ever "hacked" any previous iPods they do have a Linux shell kind of thing. So I think the CPU could probably stand a chance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
    Dev's have been attempting to get it to work on the iPhone since the Bootloader was cracked. I believe it is possible to get the os on there, it's not highly performance dependent... There is a forum here on it and everything, check it out.
    can u post the link so i can check it out

----------------
    any one willing to work on developing it i will give 2.0 beta and sdk
    Last edited by cscho0415; 05-12-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

can u post the link so i can check it out

----------------
    any one willing to work on developing it i will give 2.0 beta and sdk
    iPhone Linux - ModMyI.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

My iPhone is a Part of Me stocis's Avatar
    Thanks

i'd use it for one and one thing only. bluetooth and gps. nothing more
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

Thanks
    what has happened to this idea? is someone still working on this???

Thanks

i spoke to drunk (the dev who is commin wit ushow) and he said no go due the difficulty not if that its not possible... i should say he is lazy and that throws me off so i will continue the hunt for a dev

Green Apple
    Thanks

that would be gay to have windows on an iphone os , if u want a fu**in windows phone go buy one instead of tell developers to make stupid apps !!!!!

p.s. an iphone is way better than any windows phone.
    Last edited by gsr101; 06-02-2008 at 04:05 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think it's an awesome idea, I've wanted a WM6 emulator for a long time. Probably the only thing I'd use it for is Bubble Breaker and TomTom if I ever upgrade to the new iPhone, but it would be cool just to be able to say I can run all the thousands of WinMo apps that are out there. I don't get the anti-Microsoft sentiment in this thread, it doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever. I used WM6 smartphones and PDA phones long before I got my iPhone. I use my iPhone exclusively now, but I still have a Sprint Mogul and Sprint Touch. The iPhone is slicker, smoother, and considerably more intuitive, but there is still a lot of things I like better on WinMo phones.

Honestly, I think a WinMo emulator makes a lot more sense than running Linux. What in the world are you going to do with that? OS X is already UNIX based, so what would running Linux buy you?

So far, I've downloaded the SDK and installed it. I watched a few of the intro videos. Unfortunately, that's as far as I've gotten since I don't have a lot of free time. I'm a programmer by trade, but in my job I write business logic in VB code. OOP is pretty new to me, and something as advanced as writing an emulator doesn't even seem within reach of my capabilities, especially since I don't even know C, much less Objective C. I'll keep plodding along as I find time though. Learning the iPhone side is probably a minor hurdle compared to getting WinMo to run on the iPhone. I think dual boot would be more difficult since it would require coding device drivers that control the hardware directly. It would be easier, I think, to write virtual device drivers that work through Apple APIs. So rather than running WinMo natively, I think it'd be easier to run it as an app. Otherwise, you'd need to reverse-engineer the iPhone firmware. The emulation shouldn't be too bad, iPhone is ARM11 I believe, and so are many WinMo phones so the CPU won't have to be emulated. The iPhone is what, 400MHz? Many WinMo phones run fine with a 195MHz OMAP850 so I think in theory, it could run pretty fast on an iPhone. One hurdle is writing the device drivers, I think you'd need to get a hold of WinCE Platform Builder which I have not been able to find.

Anyhow, I would love to do it, but there is a TON of knowledge and experience I'm lacking to pull this off.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post:

cscho0415 (06-05-2008)

Thanks

you are for sure right that it is an arm processor... it however would take more than 195mhz to run an emulator... with an emulator you have to run the iphone os with the wm os so it is probably like 300 to 400 mhz so it would be pushing it bu an emulator is indeed the first step... i have minor experience in programing but under no circumstance would i call my self a developer... that is why i turned to the forum for help... any way i will definitely work with u on this and i will start looking for a dev again so pm me and i will talk to privately about this as well gnatgosplat... any others that have programing experience that are willing to help please say so... i have sdk so you dont have to waste your own money... any way you have brought some hope back to this so thank you