Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS without GPS (read more inside)

Default GPS without GPS (read more inside)
    Yes,
    I know the title may sound a little stupid or a little confusing but let me explain a little bit. When I bought my GPS Receiver off ebay, I walked around my apartment area and it tracked me on a map. Well every step I had taken, the Latitude & Longitude went up by 1 number at the end (if you have ever used GPS before, you will know what I am talking about.)

Well for this case, I would suggest walking instead of driving. Anyway, I was maybe suggesting you punch in your coordinates (using Google Maps, there are mashups that also show down the street level the exact Lat & Longitude) and every step you take, it would map it on a graph. This is what I mean by the title: "GPS without GPS" and if you happen to get a wifi signal or something, it would plot information on the map about that signal along with strength, channel, encryption etc.

And maybe in the options, you would maybe have the thing change its number after X amount of settings. This might sound weird but if you think about it, its not that bad. Or you could just use the WIFI Triangulation thats in Google Maps and maybe make software that tracks wifi and plots em on a map.

Comments or Suggestions on my idea here?
    Last edited by ma5t3rw1tt; 05-04-2008 at 12:31 PM.

The only problem with this is that the iPhone cant know how far you have moved up so the directions would become useless rather quickly. Without real time GPS the iPhone couldnt possibly know where you are between point A and B

Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    The only problem with this is that the iPhone cant know how far you have moved up so the directions would become useless rather quickly. Without real time GPS the iPhone couldnt possibly know where you are between point A and B
    ---------
    Yeah true but this is just a thought in progress. The whole idea was never to to be actual GPS but something like it.