Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: One way to get iPhone GPS working fully

Default One way to get iPhone GPS working fully
    This idea just struck me after a rumor about a GPS equipped iPhone in 2008. There are tons of bluetooth GPS receivers out there. All someone has to do is to connect one of these to either Google Maps or TomTom or Garmin to get fully functioning and accurate GPS. That would be such a killer app.

Default I think the problem might be
    I think the problem might be that the iPhone does not support any data transfer via Bluetooth, headset profile only.

Thats not particularly true, I log my phone into my car via bluetooth and it works brill, I used to have a Nokia N95 and that wouldnt

Quote Originally Posted by LesAshmore View Post
    Thats not particularly true, I log my phone into my car via bluetooth and it works brill, I used to have a Nokia N95 and that wouldnt
    The address book profile is based on the OBEX stack. In order to get GPS via bluetooth the iphone would need to support a serial port profile based on this:

RFCOMM is the abbreviation for Radio Frequency Communication. The Bluetooth protocol RFCOMM is a simple set of transport protocols, made on top of the L2CAP protocol, providing emulated RS-232 serial ports (up to sixty simultaneous connections of a bluetooth device at a time). The protocol is based on the ETSI standard TS 07.10.

RFCOMM is sometimes called Serial Port Emulation. The Bluetooth Serial Port Profile is based on this protocol.

wikipedia.org

Any adventurous folk care to start porting frameworks? Seems pretty daunting to me.
    http://developer.apple.com/documenta...uid/TP30000813
    Last edited by amnesia; 10-31-2007 at 07:28 PM.
    Main Phone: 2.0 / AT&T
    Test Phone: sold

Don't forget to thank me