Som background info:

My 3gs (5.1.1 or 5.0.1) which was previously jailbroken failed some months ago. I've just found out my usb cable was faulty, but unfortunately before all this I had restored and updated it to 6.1.3. with the new cable for it to start working again. I was fine with not jailbreaking it but the thing is, I can't get past the setup menus because it says there is no sim inserted, even though there is. The phone was originally bought from a local network unlocked, I never had any issues using different sims, also it is the "newer" 3gs which from what I understand didn't need to change any basband stuff from the jailbreak so I don't know why all of a sudden it's doing this.

I tried redsnow several times, going back to 4.0 and 6.0. The thing is I can't remember if it was 4 or 6 that worked but there was no signal and it kept shutting off on it's own.

Here's the actual point I'm at now:

Now, when it's in the jailbroken mode without service I can at least get it to show up on itunes where there is an option to restore from an old backup. The problem is it keeps turning offf on it's own and restarting so it can't be restored.

It took me all night to read up and figure all this out since I'm not really familiar with the jailbraking process. I have little time later or in the coming days to do any research so any input will help.

Any advice at all will help.