Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS old bootrom downgrade (6.1.2 -> 5.1.1) w/o shsh saved at all

Default 3GS old bootrom downgrade (6.1.2 -> 5.1.1) w/o shsh saved at all
    Hi, as wrote on title I've an iPhone 3GS with old bootrom currently with 6.1.2 NOT jailbroken.

I read that it's possible to downgrade to any iOS version regardless of the saved shsh's due to the old bootrom.

In my case, I'd like do go downgrade back to 5.1.1 because right now, out of the blue, reboots.

I tried the procedure written on several sites: put in dfu and simply restore with iTune choosing the .ipsw prevously downloaded.

Great & simple but... it doens't work for me.
    It check gs.apple.com and returns a "device not suitable to the build required".

Could you give me some hints?

Thanks in advance,
    A.

Thanks

Not true statement...bootrom old or new makes no difference...need shsh blobs to downgrade...sorry..

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Agree ^^^^ old bootrom just means any firmware you on will be an untethered jailbreak compared to new bootrom

Thanks
    Thanked 15,536 Times in 7,105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    Not true statement...bootrom old or new makes no difference...need shsh blobs to downgrade...sorry..
    Actually old bootrom 3GS can indeed restore to any firmware without SHSH thanks to 24Kpwn.

Quote Originally Posted by armybot View Post
    Hi, as wrote on title I've an iPhone 3GS with old bootrom currently with 6.1.2 NOT jailbroken.

I read that it's possible to downgrade to any iOS version regardless of the saved shsh's due to the old bootrom.

In my case, I'd like do go downgrade back to 5.1.1 because right now, out of the blue, reboots.

I tried the procedure written on several sites: put in dfu and simply restore with iTune choosing the .ipsw prevously downloaded.

Great & simple but... it doens't work for me.
    It check gs.apple.com and returns a "device not suitable to the build required".

Could you give me some hints?

Thanks in advance,
    A.
    You will need to use snowbreeze to make a custom 5.1.1 firmware. Then enter pwned DFU using snowbreeze and shift restore to your custom 5.1.1 firmware in iTunes. Use advanced in snowbreeze and make sure you pick the old bootrom option when asked.

Thanks

Leant something new everyday thank you Simon

Thanks

Wow! When did that happen??!!

I had no idea... Been out of it for a bit since I got ip5 in dec n gave my 3GS to wife...
    Last edited by xboxbml; 02-27-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,536 Times in 7,105 Posts

I've known about it since 5.0. I did a test back then with my old 3GS, as long as you use a tool that uses the 24Kpwn exploit it can patch out the need for SHSH.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I've known about it since 5.0. I did a test back then with my old 3GS, as long as you use a tool that uses the 24Kpwn exploit it can patch out the need for SHSH.
    That's pretty cool glad i still have my old 3GS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Indeed, I just use redsn0w to downgrade my old bootrom 3GS from 6.1.2 to 5.1.1 without SHSH/jailbreak.

you need:
    1)iTunes
    2)Redsn0w0.9.15b3
    3)official 5.1.1

A.Use Redsn0w custom official IPSW
    B.Plug your 3GS under DFU, enter pwned DFU.
    C.Run iTunes, restore it from costumed IPSW(NO_BB_XXXXXXX.IPSW)

Is there a difference between using ipsw made by redsn0w and sn0wbreeze? What should be the next move? I'm kinda stuck after restore.

I have a question about this. I followed this procedure and successfully installed iOS 4.3.3 on an old bootrom 3GS, so thank you for posting it, first and foremost.

My question is one of curiosity. What does redsn0w (or sn0wbreeze) do when it creates the custom IPSW? I know it preserves the baseband/removes baseband updates, but what else does it do to the firmware to enable it to be restored to an old bootrom 3GS vs. the stock IPSW?

Quote Originally Posted by Joz3d View Post
    I have a question about this. I followed this procedure and successfully installed iOS 4.3.3 on an old bootrom 3GS, so thank you for posting it, first and foremost.

My question is one of curiosity. What does redsn0w (or sn0wbreeze) do when it creates the custom IPSW? I know it preserves the baseband/removes baseband updates, but what else does it do to the firmware to enable it to be restored to an old bootrom 3GS vs. the stock IPSW?
    If you really want to know, watch this video:
    ih8Sn0w Explains SHSH Blobs and APTickets | iTweak.Tv Daily Cydia Tweak Reviews | iOS4Life

It's very informative, presented by ih8sn0w, the creator of sn0wbreeze