Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore an iOS 6 backup on iOS 5.0.1 not working via iTunes or iCloud?

Angry Restore an iOS 6 backup on iOS 5.0.1 not working via iTunes or iCloud?
    Hello guys,

the title says it all. I have downgraded from iOS 6 to 5.0.1. I don't have the blobs for 5.1.1. Anyways, The backup I have made while I was on iOS 6 via iTunes AND iCloud cannot be restored on 5.0.1. Is there any way around this?

Via iTunes there's an error not allowing to restore backup on older software. When I tried to restore via iCloud it didn't find the backup, although it appears on other phones. Can you help me out?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Sorry not possible as apple doesn't allow downgrade. If you had setup as new iPhone when restoring to IOS 6 , then when u downgrade you can setup as backup restore as your backup is left untouched.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Lionkid7 (01-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Sorry not possible as apple doesn't allow downgrade. If you had setup as new iPhone when restoring to IOS 6 , then when u downgrade you can setup as backup restore as your backup is left untouched.
    That sucks. Anyway, I imported my photos into the camera roll manually via iFile. Contacts and Notes are already available via iCloud. The only thing missing is the message history of sms, whatsapp, viber. But who needs that anyway.

Has anyone tried iBackupBot? It can be used to export files from an backup and import into another backup. Haven't tried it yet though, since it took me too much time to do what I already did until now.

I have another question. Let's say I have an iPhone 5. I back it up. Then I sell that phone and buy a 3GS on 5.1.1. Would I be able to restore from the iPhone 5 backup if I didn't update 3GS to iOS 6? This is just a theoretical question.
    Last edited by Lionkid7; 01-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks

Still not possible as your iPhone 5 backups is IOS 6 and your 3GS is IOS 5.1.1

I figured it out.
    IMPORTANT: under all circumstances do not delete iCloud calendars. You'd think intuitively that the data is backed up on the cloud but sorry that ain't so.
    You CAN recover the data if you have an archive or if you keep iCal on another machine (or apparently iPad though a more complex process that Support would have to help you with) from syncing (i.e. DO NOT open iCal with any kind of internet connection). You have to Export each separate calendar to a file and once you have done so, connect to the net (and watch your calendars magically disappear). The Import each of the calendar files to iCloud and life is good again.
    If there are no backups, and all machines are synced, you're SOL.

Thanks

Huh, interesting 😄

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

bbrks (10-18-2014)