Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recovery loop/bricked

Default Recovery loop/bricked
    Hi guys. I'm pretty new here so please bare with the following explanation. If there's any details you need please just ask me what you need to how to get those details for you.

I have a 3GS with the new bootrom. I recently jailbroke on 5.1.1 and everything was fine. I needed to downgrade to 4.1 so I can install a cydia package. I tried the downgrade but I am now stuck in a recovery loop. I have tried kicking from it using tinyumbrella. I have tried using fixrecovery. But nothing seems to repair the phone. When I try restore using custom ipsw in pwnedDFU mode, I get an iTunes error after the verification thing. I'm at my wits' end now and I have no idea what else to do. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. redsn0w says the phone is currently on 4.1.

Well I've managed to fix it. I read up on blobs, ran redsn0w and stitched cydia blobs to 5.1.1 and flashed it in pwnedDFU mode and it just worked. Thank Christ. How should I now go about downgrading to 4.1?
    Last edited by joncy92; 09-09-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

When restoring to 5.1.1, you don't need to stitch your blob as apple is still signing 5.1.1.
    To downgrade you can either restore to custom firmware of 4.1 or restore to stock 4.1, kick out error 1015 and you will now be at IOS 4.1. Apple is also signing 4.1, so no need to stitch blob again.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    When restoring to 5.1.1, you don't need to stitch your blob as apple is still signing 5.1.1.
    To downgrade you can either restore to custom firmware of 4.1 or restore to stock 4.1, kick out error 1015 and you will now be at IOS 4.1. Apple is also signing 4.1, so no need to stitch blob again.

When I tried restoring to 5.1.1 before I kept getting various iTunes errors, I searched for a couple hours trying different things to get passed it but nothing worked. The stitching just made it work.

I've tried to restore to 4.1 and a custom 4.1 but I cannot kick out of recovery...it get's stuck in a recovery loop.

Thanks

If that happens on 4.1 and you HAVE got either the SHSH blobs stored on the hard disk or with Cydia (Make My Life Easier mode), you can stitch these blob files into a customised IPSW file to create a restorable signed IPSW with Pwned DFU mode.

Like iYeow says this should technically be possible without the need of these SHSH blobs, but in researching this with a new bootrom iPhone 3GS I've found that for me personally speaking it WAS necessary to stitch in these blobs manually and restore with 4.1 which as I said before worked for me.

If its still failing to boot even after a successful restore - either stuck at the Apple logo and suddenly rebooting, or sticking in DFU/Recovery mode - then it may be worth trying Redsn0w's "Just Boot Tethered" option to see if it can manually boot the iPhone for you. Personally iOS 5.1.1 is the better OS to stick with in terms of its features IMHO, its the version I'd stick with especially at it supports an untethered jailbreak right now too.

You can also try using iH8Sn0w's iReb tool and set Autoboot True mode.

When doing the restore to iOS 4.1 what error message if any do you receive? If you get error 1004 which appears quite common in fact, this means you don't have a correctly signed Baseband SHSH certificate in place causing the restore to fail. In most cases when this happens clicking OK then using TinyUmbrella to kick the phone out of recovery mode can work.

I've also included this forum thread from Hackint0sh.org which may help with the iOS 4.1 issues your experiencing.
    iphone 4 - stuck in infinite boot loop

Hopefully this will help you get your iPhone working as expected again

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Your hosts file is probably pointed towards cydia server. Change it back from within Tiny Umbrella under advanced option if you have TU installed. Now you should be able to restore to either 4.1 or 5.1.1 with Apple's verifications of your blobs.

Sigh.. Well I had another shot at 4.1 again just now. I stitched the 4.1 blobs taken from my device by tinyumbrella. The phone restored via iTunes and got error 1015. I tried kicking with tinyumbrella. Get back to recovery. Tried iReb's fixer, get back to recovery. Try redsn0w recovery fix, just get's stuck at "waiting for 3GS" and the phone will stay in a blank screen. I've tried booting tethered too but that leaves my stuck at the pineapple logo.

Is there just another way I can run android on here without bootlace? Or do I really have to downgrade?

Thanks

There are two tools that can and often do work well to kick your device away from the dreaded 1015 iTunes restore error. Use can use either RecBoot or LibUSB to do this.

You need to enter standard DFU mode, then use RecBoot to kick it out of recovery.

This guide may help you:
    Fix iTunes Error 1015 | iTunes Errors

Let me know if this helped you.

AFAIK: Bootlace does require iOS 3 or iOS 4:
    Supported devices:

iPhone 2G on iOS 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 jailbroken with Blackra1n, Redsn0w or PwnageTool.
    iPhone 3G on iOS 4.x jailbroken with Redsn0w or PwnageTool.

Source: Install Android on your iPhone Directly from your Device with BootLace - Download Absinthe To Jailbreak iOS 6 iOS 5.1.1 iOS 5.1 Untethered
    Not sure if there is another way yet sadly.

Your mileage may of course vary, but this is worth a try!!

EDIT: Also found this status update, this should hopefully give you a current idea of what Android components work with your iOS device with iDroid Project (Bootlace, OpeniBoot etc)
    http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Status
    Last edited by cyb3rduck; 09-12-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Additional Information found