Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
3G[S] Downgradingforums, a part of the
Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgradingsection;
Hi there! Complete noob here. Upgraded to latest IOS and phone now completely hooped. This puts me in a very, very bad spot as I am traveling. WHAT I DO...
09-07-2012, 10:28 AM #1ERROR MESSAGE: No SIM Card installed in iPhone, after upgrade/downgrade 5.1.1/4.1
Complete noob here. Upgraded to latest IOS and phone now completely hooped. This puts me in a very, very bad spot as I am traveling.
WHAT I DO KNOW
-Prior to this upgrade, my AT&T iPhone was unlocked and used a T-mobile pre-paid SIM. (Live in Canada so switch out Rogers SIM when I come to States)
-After upgrade to latest IOS, I did a complete restore from iTunes and received a message on screen saying "There is no SIM Card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate. My phone said .."it:.. "could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes..."
-Remembered afterwards that if you upgrade IOS, lose unlock status. DOH!
-Went to AT&T store yesterday and they "permanently" unlocked my phone. Apparently, this is a new thing they do when a phone is no longer under contract.
-At AT&T store, tried restoring with BOTH T-mobile and AT&T SIM cards but this failed as the phone is showing NO SERVICE or SEARCHING. Screen showed initial iPhone start up screens.
-Followed steps in this excellent guide on how to downgrade using Tiny Umbrella and find out if I had my SHSH blobs. Apparently I did have 4.1 previously installed! Note: the guide is for IPads but figured it would work for iPhones.
-Everything seemed to be work out beautifully - all my apps seem to be reloading into the iTunes store when doing the restore.
-RESULT: My phone screen screen now shows the iTunes and plug icons. ITunes though is still saying "There is no SIM Card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate."
I tried to redo the process and now an getting the following Error Message in Itunes "The phone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1600)" which seems to be a USB/Does not recognize phone issue.
One last note, when I first arrived from Canada to Chicago (before upgrade) was having NO SERVICE/SEARCHING issues and was concerned it was a hardware issue. However, later in Denver and Philadelphia the phone was working just fine.
If it is a hardware problem, anyone have suggestions on best way to get a loaner or used phone until I get back to Canada. Thanks so much for any help!
09-08-2012, 01:38 AM #2
first off, welcome to MMi
secondly, your elaboration of the issue seems to be all over the place in regards to your issue...its best when you explain your issue to explain it in an orthodox manner so those that may assist you will have a better idea of "when, and that includes where" it was working fine, and "when, and that includes where" it was not
but anyways, a couple questions I have:
1. Where did you first upgrade the iOS?.....in Chicago?
2. In what city did you go to an AT&T store to have it unlocked?....Chicago?...Denver?
3. Was it the same city where you restored the phone to test the T-Mobile sim card?
4. What did you mean when you said "Everything seemed to be work out beautifully" ? Did that include getting your T-Mobile signal back?
5. In your 2nd to last paragraph, you said you had issues when you came from Canada to Chicago, so was that where you upgraded the iOS and went to an AT&T store to have it unlocked?.......But then you said it was working fine in Denver and Philadelphia?
FYI: please do not double-post your issue
09-10-2012, 07:40 PM #3
Thanks so much for your quick response! Sorry I was not clearer in presenting my issues. I hope the below responses to your questions does make it so.
Everything related to the IOS upgrade/downgrade happened in Philadelphia. My itinerary was Vancouver-Chicago-Denver-Philly-NY.
1. I upgraded the IOS in Philly.
2. I had the phone re-unlocked at the ATT store in Philly.
3. I tested bot the T-mobile and ATT sims at the ATT store in Philly both before and after I followed the tutorial for downgrading my IOS back to 4.1
4. I have never received a T-mobile signal since I upgraded the IOS. As for the "beautiful" comment, it seemed like my icons were reloading onto Itunes which didn't seem to happen before. I would suggest probably just ignoring this comment. It was late.
5. When I landed in Chicago and turned on my phone (with T-mobile Sim already inserted.) It took ages (at least 20 minutes) for me to get a signal. Again, this was before I upgraded the IOS. The phone was primarily searching but I think, it did vacillate to NO Service from time to time. It continued to go in and out for the next few days. I visited a T-mobile store in Chicago at a point when I was having the Searching/No Service issue. They looked at my account to make sure all was fine. They also tested another SIM but I still did not get service and the guy in the store did not know how to help me. We pretty much concluded that it was a hardware issue but it resolved itself by the time I got to Denver.
Sorry if I double-posted. I thought I had submitted my post but when I went intot he forum later, I did not see it. Is there usually a lag time?
09-11-2012, 10:23 PM #4
so if i understand you correctly, "before" you upgraded the iOS, and you probably used ultrasn0w to unlock the phone, it was working fine?....meaning you were able to use your phone on T-Mobile network?...and you were in Canada when everything was ok?
and you said you went to AT&T to have it unlocked?.........did you connect the phone in itunes afterwords to verify if itunes gave you the "Congratulations your iphone is now unlocked" message?
and when you went to Denver, the T-Mobile signal came back?
09-12-2012, 12:29 AM #5
I had a "telephone guy" unlock the phone for me so I can't comment on what was used to unlock the phone (i could find out though if necessary.) But yes, after it was unlocked it worked fine using T-mobile in the US and Rogers in Canada.
I went to ATT in Philly, after I upgraded the IOS and had problems, to see if they could help me in general. It was while I was there I recalled that i had read if I upgraded the IOS I would lode my unlocked status. As a result, the guy there supposedly "permanently" unlocked the phone (which they can do when you are not on a contract.) He expected to get the "Congratulations your iphone is now unlocked" message but instead we got the "There is no SIM Card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate."
09-15-2012, 01:22 AM #6
when that message appears, that means the phone is still locked to the official Sim carrier (assuming AT&T)..
if you can, try to use an at&t sim card that is activated and see if the phone picks up the signal and open it up in itunes and verify if itunes can activate the at&t sim, if it DOESNT, it most likely is a hardware issue that has to do with the antenna (metallic part surrounding the phone housing)
if it does activate, use the t-mobile and if itunes sends the "There is No Sim.." then that means its not unlocked...
by the way, what baseband is the 3gs on?
10-02-2012, 03:46 PM #7
- Join Date
- May 2010
- Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
i had the same issue you are having with my 3gs after upgrading to IOS 6.
I downgraded to IOS 4.1 using Sn0wBreeze (very easy to use follow the prompts) and installed the ipad baseband.
Then i used redsn0w to downgrade the baseband.
Then i re-ran the Ios 6 upgrade on a fresh new laptop --- and it detected the sim and worked.