+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tried to update Old 3GS to 5.1.1, wifi etc now greyed out

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi all, I had 5.0 working with the iPad baseband on my 3GS for about a year, then all of a sudden yesterday my phone started rebooting, wouldn't stop for
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tried to update Old 3GS to 5.1.1, wifi etc now greyed out
    Hi all,

I had 5.0 working with the iPad baseband on my 3GS for about a year, then all of a sudden yesterday my phone started rebooting, wouldn't stop for a while, then eventually it couldn't find signal and the wifi got greyed out. So I tried to restore the phone with iTunes, and got an error saying it couldn't be restored (1). I then tried the latest redsn0w with 5.1.1, and that installs and activates the phone, yet the wifi etc is still greyed out, and it won't display the baseband. I've tried both options for the baseband - upgrading to iPad, and downgrading from 6:15:00 also.

Is there anything I can do? I suspect it's a baseband problem, but I don't think it should be bricked since it's an old 3GS and I had the iPad baseband before. I don't care what OS etc, I just really need a working phone.

EVO
    Thanks

it is NEVER recommend to restore using itunes if you have an iphone 3gs on the ipad baseband, even if its the older 3gs

it is always recommended that if you have any issues, you restore using a custom firmware created by either sn0wbreeze or redsn0w

here's what i suggest you do, create a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware using redsn0w, put the phone in PWNED, check your HOSTS file to make sure the host entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" is not there, if so delete it

then restore through itunes again

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried this, and everything is still greyed out. Should I try using redsn0w to upgrade to the iPad baseband and then try again?

Edit: Restored using the custom firmware, then jail broke with redsn0w and tried to update to the iPad baseband, still no luck. Ideas anyone?
    Last edited by cubsfan334; 08-27-2012 at 09:54 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan334 View Post
    I tried this, and everything is still greyed out. Should I try using redsn0w to upgrade to the iPad baseband and then try again?

Edit: Restored using the custom firmware, then jail broke with redsn0w and tried to update to the iPad baseband, still no luck. Ideas anyone?
    the baseband most likely is permanently damaged due to restoring via itunes on an ipad baseband iphone..

another thing you can try to do is restore back to 4.1 by downloading a stock 4.1 from the Downloads section on this forum and see if that helps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have a 3g 4.2.1 6.15.00 jailbreak with rdsnw 9 something. I have ifile. i have my location 60 miles off and only turn data on(t-mobile) when I need it.... lately evrytime I txt a message pops up about turning wifi or data(its annoying) .
    Is there a way for me to chx if "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" is on my phone and can u tell me how to stop the pop ups(i free up memory more then I txt(paranoid maybe) in sbsettings) please teach a old dog a new trick.... thx u also

stick it in the frig for 1-2 hours , reboot it , put ur phone 2" or less to wireless , give 10 sec.....if if it works even a tiny bit then the update over heated a chip on motherboard and a reflow will fix it(they are challenging believe that). I wish u the best.
    I dont know more, the pile of iphones is my prof
    Last edited by clntxwhtby; 09-20-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clntxwhtby View Post
    i have a 3g 4.2.1 6.15.00 jailbreak with rdsnw 9 something. I have ifile. i have my location 60 miles off and only turn data on(t-mobile) when I need it.... lately evrytime I txt a message pops up about turning wifi or data(its annoying) .
    Is there a way for me to chx if "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" is on my phone and can u tell me how to stop the pop ups(i free up memory more then I txt(paranoid maybe) in sbsettings) please teach a old dog a new trick.... thx u also

stick it in the frig for 1-2 hours , reboot it , put ur phone 2" or less to wireless , give 10 sec.....if if it works even a tiny bit then the update over heated a chip on motherboard and a reflow will fix it(they are challenging believe that). I wish u the best.
    I dont know more, the pile of iphones is my prof
    Run redsn0w 0.9.14b2 and choose option to downgrade ipad bb, this will fix the GPS issues.