+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: White screen/Error 28 After Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi there, I recently attempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS with RedSn0w. Something must have gone wrong during the process as the phone is now in permanent DFU mode. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default White screen/Error 28 After Jailbreak
    Hi there,

I recently attempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS with RedSn0w. Something must have gone wrong during the process as the phone is now in permanent DFU mode. I believe that the phone must have some corrupt files.

I have tried recovering the phone with the official iOS 5.1. using iTunes, but I only receive 'Error 28'.

I then downloaded the custom firmware a forum post recommended '3GS 4.2.1. Custom', when attempting to recover using this, I received the same error as I had when using the official firmware.

When I attempt to re-jailbreak using Redsn0w, (after selecting the correct firmware), the process begins, yet phone 'reboots' to white screen and stays thus until going black again a minute or two later.

I am unable to 'Just Boot Tethered'.

I am therefore at a loss as to what to try. I seem to need a way to wipe then install the firmware without using iTunes.

If anyone can help it would be really really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Do u unlock or on official carrier? Which one?...

Can't go to 5.1 unless u have blobs for it, or any other version btw... Do u have any shsh blobs for older FW? If not u can only go to current version apple is signing which is 5.1.1...

EVO
    Thanks

you cant install a firmware "without using itunes", itunes is what's needed to do the restore process, which wipes your iphone system files back to default

as mentioned by xbox, shsh blobs are required for any iOS older than 5.1.1 except 4.1

if the phone is currently on the ipad baseband 06.15.00, you must restore using a custom 5.1.1 firmware, and not a stock firmware you downloaded off somewhere, this purpose is only if your phone was previously unlocked

if you still receive an error 28, what you may have to do is dismantle the backplate and remove the battery out for a couple hours, this will clear the memory handling the boot process, which will allow you to restore again

Thanks
    Thanked 9,698 Times in 5,957 Posts

^totally agree, if not comfortable taking the phone apart he can just let it sit for a few days. The thing that bothers me is error #28 is a hardware error, usually means if battery drain doesn't work to reset the logic board, the flash memory/hard drive (worst case) or the dock connector of your device is damaged.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for replying guys. The phone had 5.5.1 firmware and was not unlocked, the modem was 06.15.00.
    I'm sorry but I don't know what SHSH Blobs are.

Where would I find the correct firmware to install?

There shouldn't have been any damage, the phone was in perfect working order before I attempted to Jailbreak it.

Thanks!

EVO
    Thanks

Here's what I suggest you do:

Go to the iPhone-dev team (search google) website and download redsn0w v0.9.14b2, then create a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware, then select the option in redsn0w for putting your phone in PWNED DFU mode

Then open iTunes and hold the SHIFT key + click Restore and point it to the custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware

Finally let iTunes restore the phone back to 5.1.1, making sure to do a backup first if you have any important data

Let us know the progress so we can provide further instructions or clarification

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Fixed!!
    Hi all, would like you to know that I have fixed the problem as per your recommendations.

After dismantling the battery, and leaving the phone apart for an hour or 2, I was then able to reconnect to Itunes.

I think my problems stemmed from having to use a DFU Firmware (my lock button is broken), before Jailbreaking with RedSn0w.

It took a long time and several firmwares, but I was eventually able to Install iPad BB, then downgrade, install Custom (BB Pres) Firmware, then Jailbreak with Absinthe.

I've gone a very long-winded way about it, but my phone is now Jailbroken and unlocked and haven't experienced any problems in the last few days!

Thank you all for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,698 Times in 5,957 Posts

^Awesome, love stories like this.

EVO
    Thanks

Me too

Just need my marshmallows by the fireplace and I could read stuff like this all day

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

THank you so much. I had the same problem as you did. i updated my iphone 3gs to ios 6.0.1 and tether jailbreaked it. so as i restored from backup and i had to do a tether boot i was stuck on white screen.
    So i had my uncle ( who is an expert hardware engineer) remove the logic board for half and hour than assemble it back. than i connected to itunes and did a restore and i got the error and i was so happy. than i finally used redsn0w to update my device and now its running smooth.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yashpatel159 View Post
    THank you so much. I had the same problem as you did. i updated my iphone 3gs to ios 6.0.1 and tether jailbreaked it. so as i restored from backup and i had to do a tether boot i was stuck on white screen.
    So i had my uncle ( who is an expert hardware engineer) remove the logic board for half and hour than assemble it back. than i connected to itunes and did a restore and i got the error and i was so happy. than i finally used redsn0w to update my device and now its running smooth.
    You were happy because you "got the error"?

You mean u didn't get the error right??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    You were happy because you "got the error"?

You mean u didn't get the error right??
    yeah i didn't get the error. I messed up in writing that . I'm just happy now that the white screen of death is gone. now i'm gonna wait for a untethered jailbreak. i was freaking out so much yesterday.