+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP PLEASE: 3GS Restored with wrong Bootrom CFW, Think Its bricked!!!

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello MMi, So today I was hoping to downgrade basebands with the newly released RedSnow because I wanted GPS and I have iPad BB. I was on 3GS 5.0.1 and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello MMi,

So today I was hoping to downgrade basebands with the newly released RedSnow because I wanted GPS and I have iPad BB. I was on 3GS 5.0.1 and thought why dont I upgrade to 5.1.1 while Im at it? So I take redsnow and use the custom ipsw option and create a upgradable CFW but I stupidly made a CFW for the old-bootrom 3Gs and updated my -apparently new bootrom 3gs. I basically thought my 3gs was bricked but I boot tethered and it worked fine for a few minutes then turned off and went to a yellow screen with black lines through it distorted and such.

Its in a constant DFU Loop and I tried everything but nothing shows up on the screen except for the yellow black lines when I boot tethered or try to restore. I also get 28 error or 37xx errors when restoring to a CFW. I think my phone is done for good, but please tell me you can help me!! Thank you in advanced

Im getting iTunes error 28 but it cant be a hardware issue because my phone was working 100 percent this morning!!! I heard about letting the battery drain but I dont know how long that is going to take!
    Last edited by ArEss; 06-18-2012 at 09:17 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Try restoring to a preserved baseband 5.1.1. Make sure it's hacktivated so u can see if the wifi is grayed out if it is. Try to install The iPad baseband again. Or redowngrade the baseband with redsnow agian.

U will need to prep the install with ireb before u install the custom ipsw. Or a dfu pwner.

EVO
    Thanks

you dont need to create a custom firmware to preserve the baseband

you are already on the ipad baseband so there's no need to preserve it

just see if you can use itunes to restore, and let itunes download the firmware to restore back to, then you can use redsn0w to downgrade back to an unlockable baseband

Thanks

The custom ipsw is for if the radio is out on the device because of the bad baseband flash. It will hacktivate the device because it won't read a sim card. What happens when u get a bad flash is the wifi and modem firmware is grayed out along with some other stuff. And the device will randomly power off. And if this is what's up. I would try to redowngrade the baseband with redsnow.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    you dont need to create a custom firmware to preserve the baseband

you are already on the ipad baseband so there's no need to preserve it

just see if you can use itunes to restore, and let itunes download the firmware to restore back to, then you can use redsn0w to downgrade back to an unlockable baseband
    Not sure if I can do this. From my thinking, I cannot restore to stock fw because I am on iPad BB, right? Anyways I get error 28 when I try and restore to a CFW 5.1.1 New Bootrom anyways. I was going to restore to that and then use redsn0w to downgrade BB but I can't even get that far. I think I have to let the battery drain or take it out based on my searching forums, which could take weeks because I am not taking it out but I am letting it drain.

Quote Originally Posted by zoolman88 View Post
    The custom ipsw is for if the radio is out on the device because of the bad baseband flash. It will hacktivate the device because it won't read a sim card. What happens when u get a bad flash is the wifi and modem firmware is grayed out along with some other stuff. And the device will randomly power off. And if this is what's up. I would try to redowngrade the baseband with redsnow.
    Bad baseband flash? I didn't flash baseband though, right? I was on 5.0.1 CFW with iPAD BB. I tried to upgrade to 5.1.1 iPad BB CFW but I used the old bootrom ipsw instead of a new one! The device doesn't randomly power off anymore, it just did that once and now it is stuck in DFU mode and doesnt show anything on the screen. Appreciate your help, let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

What I am saying is that when u use a custom ipsw made via snowbreeze or pwnage tool it does not update the baseband. Only if u want to install the iPad baseband and I have had a error 28 on a device before. It happened to me when the baseband flash went wrong.
    So what I would do seeing u have the iPad baseband installed u need a custom ipsw make one in snowbreeze or pwnage tool. I would make a custom 5.1.1 seeing apple is singing it still. And use ireb to prepwn the device. And shift + restore to the custom 5.1.1 ipsw. It will ask u while making the ipsw if it's for old or new boot rom. This should fix it. Restoring to a stock ipsw will not work. Because u have the iPad baseband installed still. So it will error out. A custom ipsw bypasses the baseband installation. So it should work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoolman88 View Post
    What I am saying is that when u use a custom ipsw made via snowbreeze or pwnage tool it does not update the baseband. Only if u want to install the iPad baseband and I have had a error 28 on a device before. It happened to me when the baseband flash went wrong.
    So what I would do seeing u have the iPad baseband installed u need a custom ipsw make one in snowbreeze or pwnage tool. I would make a custom 5.1.1 seeing apple is singing it still. And use ireb to prepwn the device. And shift + restore to the custom 5.1.1 ipsw. It will ask u while making the ipsw if it's for old or new boot rom. This should fix it. Restoring to a stock ipsw will not work. Because u have the iPad baseband installed still. So it will error out. A custom ipsw bypasses the baseband installation. So it should work.
    Get the error on CFW as well.

EVO
    Thanks

zoolman I stand corrected, you are correct and I spoke too soon, it is best to restore to a custom firmware if you are on the ipad baseband because restoring to a stock can potentially damage that baseband

Quote Originally Posted by ArEss View Post
    Get the error on CFW as well.
    tell us what specific error you are getting when restoring from a custom firmware

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Error 28
    Quote Originally Posted by evo View Post
    zoolman i stand corrected, you are correct and i spoke too soon, it is best to restore to a custom firmware if you are on the ipad baseband because restoring to a stock can potentially damage that baseband

tell us what specific error you are getting when restoring from a custom firmware

EVO
    Thanks

Error 28
    error 28 is mostly related to a hardware issue, but there's a slight chance it can be a software also (hopefully)

instead of using sn0wbreeze, use redsn0w 0.9.14b1 to create a custom NO_BB firmware from the stock 5.1.1 firmware, then PWNED DFU and try restoring from that NO_BB

it is VERY important that you check your HOSTS file located on the C drive\System32\drivers\etc\
    look for the hosts entry 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com, if its there, you must delete it and save the file!

you must check the hosts file before restoring to the NO_BB firmware

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

error 28 is mostly related to a hardware issue, but there's a slight chance it can be a software also (hopefully)

instead of using sn0wbreeze, use redsn0w 0.9.14b1 to create a custom NO_BB firmware from the stock 5.1.1 firmware, then PWNED DFU and try restoring from that NO_BB

it is VERY important that you check your HOSTS file located on the C drive\System32\drivers\etc\
    look for the hosts entry 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com, if its there, you must delete it and save the file!

you must check the hosts file before restoring to the NO_BB firmware
    Can't be a hardware issue if the phone was working fine prior to the first restore, in my thinking. I also cannot do what you are saying because I still get Error 28. I have read elsewhere that I must drain or take out my battery and put it back in to clear the NAND and then it will let me restore without error. Not planning on opening the phone so its chilling till the battery dies. Question: How do I know when the battery is dead when all I see is a black screen (DFU)?

EVO
    Thanks

As I mentioned error 28 CAN be related to a hardware issue, I'm not saying your device has a hardware issue

If you want to wait until the battery dies by all means

The only way I know if the battery is dead is if you open iTunes and it doesn't mention the device being in recovery mode that means its dead..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As I mentioned error 28 CAN be related to a hardware issue, I'm not saying your device has a hardware issue

If you want to wait until the battery dies by all means

The only way I know if the battery is dead is if you open iTunes and it doesn't mention the device being in recovery mode that means its dead..
    Thanks for the reply. I'll wait a week and by my thinking will follow this process:
    1. Wait till battery is dead, check iTunes to see if it is recognized. If it isn't recognized that means its dead and I am good to go.
    2. Charge iPhone for a little bit.
    3. PWN DFU mode using iReb
    4. Restore to 5.1.1 CFW
    5. Cry tears of joy if it works

Seem right?

EVO
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait a week and by my thinking will follow this process:
    1. Wait till battery is dead, check iTunes to see if it is recognized. If it isn't recognized that means its dead and I am good to go.
    2. Charge iPhone for a little bit.
    3. PWN DFU mode using iReb
    4. Restore to 5.1.1 CFW
    5. Cry tears of joy if it works

Seem right?
    You don't need to charge it for a little bit, just plug in, put in DFU mode, run iREB to put in PWNED DFU, then restore

Banned
    Thanks

hi i have been working on iphones jailbreaks unlocks battery changes for 4 years im filmier with all the programs to jailbreak and unlock and save shsh file but i did the same thing last week put old boot rom when it was new im having all the same issues u r i was on 5.0.1 with ipad bb and use sb to go to 5.1.1 but put the old bb in it and its stuck in dfu now i did get it out using snowbreez aka sb downgrading to 4.1 and then using redsnow 0.9.6rc16 its worked but then after a bit goes back in to dfu the only way to make it not is to keep plugged in to the wall or computer or if not plugged in u have to go into settings and turn off screen lock which is at default 1 min never let ur screen go black unless its plugged into the wall i have also removed the battery for 2 hours witch didnt do nothing so wating for the battery to die wont help sorry in fact ive tooken the phone apart like 4 times and still nothing so best of luck how ever i have not tried to dg the firmware from 6/15 but i will try that now and let u know maybe we can help each other

also i ve been getting the same errors 28 37 1600 dont use ifaith it seems to get error 37 which seems to be an internal ifaith error ive also edited my hosts and can walk u through the process if needed

to zoolman the error 28 come at the begginning of the restore not the end when the baseband is loading error 37 comes at the end of the restore
    Last edited by bestbuy995; 06-21-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

With error 28 like EVO said it's related to a hardware issue. However, some people have been able to resolve it by taking out the battery, letting it rest for a bit, then putting it back in and attempting the restore again. If you do not want to open your device up, allow the battery to fully drain.

Banned
    Thanks

this is not a motherboard error that can be reset by taking the battery out or letting die example { if u have a laptop running window7 on it and accidentally put a restore cd in for windows vista and then decide to take the battery out or let it die. when u put the battery back in it,its not going to be all of a sudden be back running windows 7} so the only option is to figure out how to get the correct bootrom back in the phone

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well, considering it gave you error 28 and the suggestion I provided has worked for quite a few error 28 problems out there, I would assume it has a chance of working.

However, since you're quite confident in that it is not the issue, I have no other suggestions with that error.

Aside from that, regarding the other errors yor received, they seem to be irrelevant to each other.

Edit: I'm thinking of the wrong thing, scratch that.

Banned
    Thanks

omg i did it finally yesyesyes

Banned
    Thanks

i will write all the steps soon to help u

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast