+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade iOS 5.1 to 4.2.1

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi, First post so be gentle! I was running 4.2.1 on my (newer version) 3G-S, until I had to upgrade to iOS5 for work related reasons. During my time on
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

First post so be gentle!

I was running 4.2.1 on my (newer version) 3G-S, until I had to upgrade to iOS5 for work related reasons.

During my time on 4.2.1, I was saving my shsh blogs, now I no longer have to use 5.1, I'd like to go back I find 5 a bit clunky of a 3G-S, it was much "snappier" with 4.

So I downloaded a 4.2.1 IPSW, got the latest version of redsn0w, I took the stock IPSW and attempted to stitch my shsh blobs to it. Tried to jailbreak with it, but it for some reason redsn0w won't support my custom 4.2.1 IPSW when I try and load it?

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Should add, my 4.2.1 was jailbroken using greenp0ison if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by tunnie; 05-13-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks

Hey there!... Here's what u do...download iFaith 1.4.2...search web for it..I think this will work..run iFaith and use it to create custom signed IPSW with ur 4.2.1 blobs...then use it to put into pawned DFU mode and shift click restore...post back with progress...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'll give that a go.

Edit: Crap, just realized iFaith is Windoz only, knew I should have brought my work laptop back this weekend!

right, got a Windoz box, using iFaith, for some reason it cannot find my shsh blobs.

I used the standard tool to make them, named .shsh and e-mailed to myself. Using iFaith and "Make custom IPSW" - It says browse for shsh cache, is it look for a database cache of them, rather than individual files?

Verifying the blobs with Redsn0w, it says the AP Ticket is invalid on some blobs?

Oddly, the blobs that checkout all ok, won't stitch to the IPSW as it says it does not match the IPSW build?

Was hoping to have better luck with iFaith, but that won't see the blobs at-all!
    Last edited by tunnie; 05-13-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks

Hmmm... Yeah...I'm not sure I could ever get that to work...I actually dumped my blobs directly off the phone with iFaith while I was still on 4.2.1 with one of the first versions of iFaith, but iFaith seemed to have issues there so I went up to 4.3.3...after u was there for a while ih8sn0w had updated iFaith a couple times so I tried again and it worked..I'm not sure why yours isn't working...

Wow...I wish I could read the posts while typing...I missed what u had said on GP...so u actually have 4.2.1 running on the phone?...if so JB with GP rc6.1...

That's what I always use...

I'm on 5.1.1 tethered right now..I might go back to 4.2.1 soon..
    Last edited by xboxbml; 05-13-2012 at 03:21 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tunnie View Post
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'll give that a go.

Edit: Crap, just realized iFaith is Windoz only, knew I should have brought my work laptop back this weekend!

right, got a Windoz box, using iFaith, for some reason it cannot find my shsh blobs.

I used the standard tool to make them, named .shsh and e-mailed to myself. Using iFaith and "Make custom IPSW" - It says browse for shsh cache, is it look for a database cache of them, rather than individual files?

Verifying the blobs with Redsn0w, it says the AP Ticket is invalid on some blobs?

Oddly, the blobs that checkout all ok, won't stitch to the IPSW as it says it does not match the IPSW build?

Was hoping to have better luck with iFaith, but that won't see the blobs at-all!
    do not worry bout Aptickets not being present if you are downgrading to 4.2.1, the Aptickets are mainly used for iOS5.0+ due to Apple's new requirement for authenticating your iOS version

since you are downgrading to 4.2.1, download sn0wbreeze-v2.2.1 and create a custom firmware using the stock ISPW..

make sure you are downloading the correct ISPW firmware for your 3gs

after creating the custom firmware, run TINYUMBRELLA to fetch the shsh blobs you have, once fetched, run the TSS server and phone the 3gs into DFU MODE, run itunes, right-click RESTORE and point it to the CUSTOM firmware

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks.

I made some progress last night, but got stuck with dreaded 1015 error. I stitched the shsh blobs using redsnow to the ipsw. Does sn0wbreeze do it differently? Pointed iTunes at it, starting the restore, which it does, but errors at the end with 1015.

I've read, that it has actually done it successfully, just needs to be rebooted out of recovery mode. I tried Recovery Fix in RedSn0w and a "fixer" tool which is supposed to patch something and reboot it, it does take longer, but just appears to boot for a second time before going to iTunes/USB loading screen.

I've got tinyumbrella, but bit confused how that fetches the blobs? Thought you just turned on TSS server (just downloaded it, using standard settings) loaded iTunes, connect device and point to custom IPSW?

Have I missed a step of pointing tinyumbrella at my shsh?

I thought they were only used to stich to IPSW?

Thanks for everyones help so far
    Last edited by tunnie; 05-15-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

If you want to downgrade to 4.2.1, this is what you do :
    Create a custom firmware of 4.2.1 either from Snowbreeze or Pwnage tools or a N0_bb ipsw from Redsn0w.
    Don't do any stitching of cfw from Redsn0w.
    Run Tss Server from Tiny umbrella to verify your saved blob on your computer.
    Put iphone into pwned dfu mode
    Restore to custom firmware of 4.2.1

Edit :
    OR
    You can put iphone into dfu mode.
    Restore to stock 4.1 ipsw, let apple verify your restore.
    Kick out error 1015 with Exit recovery from TU
    Now you are at emergency.
    Last edited by iYeow; 05-15-2012 at 11:11 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks again, so no stitching involved then? 1st method make sense. Only part I'm having trouble grasping is getting tiny umbrella to link to my shsh.

I saved the shsh, via other methods. Only just installed TU. I had the shsh e-mailed to myself from my device.

Reading this: How to Check Which SHSH you Have Saved with TinyUmbrella | iPhoneBlogr.com

It shows how to see blobs saved for my device, but is that not assuming you've used TU to save them?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks again, so no stitching involved then? 1st method make sense. Only part I'm having trouble grasping is getting tiny umbrella to link to my shsh.

I saved the shsh, via other methods. Only just installed TU. I had the shsh e-mailed to myself from my device.

Reading this: How to Check Which SHSH you Have Saved with TinyUmbrella | iPhoneBlogr.com

It shows how to see blobs saved for my device, but is that not assuming you've used TU to save them?

EVO
    Thanks

do not STITCH the blobs to the ISPW, as I mentioned previously, you dont STITCH the blobs to an iOS below 5.0.

All you do is create a custom firmware using sn0wbreeze and point it to a STOCK ISPW...

then use iREB to put your phone in PWNED DFU mode, then run the TSS SERVER from tinyumbrella, THEN run iTUNES, THEN hold the shift key + click RESTORE and put it to the CUSTOM firmware not STOCK, then DONE, then EAT, then SLEEP!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Will Snowbreeze allow you to downgrade even if you don't have saved blobs?
    I have an Ipad 1 that has always worked fine on 4.2.1. Ibooks now requires 5.0 or higher so I allowed Itunes to do the 5.1.1 update it was recommending. Now the battery never seems to charge past 3% and it reboots about every 1-2 minutes. I have spent hours trying to find a way to downgrade it back but I have never jailbroken the device or saved previous blobs. I am now very familiar with the TU server and host change and putting the device into pawned DFU. Will Snowbreeze work to create a custom firmware and then you can use itunes to restore that without the blobs? All other ways I have tried like Redsnow don't seem to work because the only blobs found on the servers are for 5.1.1. If I try restoring to an older ipsw using shift-click in itunes i just get 1600 or other errors. Any help would be appreciated!