Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My iphone 3GS is stuck in recovery mode, I need help!

Unhappy My iphone 3GS is stuck in recovery mode, I need help!
    Hi There,

I have iPhone 3GS. I wanted to use it with a new SimCard, so I tried to unlock/jailbroken it. It was my first time, so I found a web page and followed the instructions. I downloaded the following programs:

1. iTunes 10.2.2
    2. redsn0w 0.9.6rc16
    3. iOS 4.3.3 IPSW

So I started to unlock it. First, I restored it to OS 4.3.3 using iTunes. I think it got the new basband (Baseband 05.16.02) and then I started using redsn0w. I followed all the instructions and when finally I got to choose what I wanted, I checked:
    Install Cydia and Install iPad baseband.

I followed the whole process, but I forgot to check if the Iphone got the baseband 06.15.00.

Then, I opened Cydia on my Iphone, and on SOURCES I added repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    It took some time, but finally I got this: EMERGENCY CALLS mode (in several languages) with the Itunes Logo with the USB cable. Then I tried to restores using Itunes, and since then, my iphone is in recovery condition (Itunes Logo with the USB cable). I already run TinyUnbrella, but it says there are not SHSHs, and it seems it doesn’t work.

What can I do? HELP HELP HELP!! Am I using TinyUmbrella properly? HELP HELP HELP!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

No shsh, then you cannot restore to custom fw of 4.3.3 nor stock 4.3.3 anymore. However, you can put your iphone into DfU mode and restore to stock 4.1 firmware. Use Exit recovery to error out 1015.
    Activate with your official sim or run Redsn0w b6, browse to stock 4.1 fw , it will hactivate and jailbreak for you.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    No shsh, then you cannot restore to custom fw of 4.3.3 nor stock 4.3.3 anymore. However, you can put your iphone into DfU mode and restore to stock 4.1 firmware. Use Exit recovery to error out 1015.
    Activate with your official sim or run Redsn0w b6, browse to stock 4.1 fw , it will hactivate and jailbreak for you.

Thanks for your quick response!! Question. What's the procedure to Exit recovery to error out 1015? By using TU?
    I forgot to mention, TU is still tricky to me. Should I use TU in DFU mode only? I used it in recovery mode and it fails everytime. It shows under "recovery devices" a "number" I suppose it's my iphone. I hit "exit recovery" and under the LOG says:
    sending recovery request to XXXXXXXXXX (I suppose my iphone) and inmediately says "Recovery Device Disconnected: null" After 2 minutes it says: "recovery device connected". I hit EXIT recovery, and once again happens the same!

I will do what you said RIGHT NOW, I will keep you posted. THANKYOU TAHNK YOU!

I dowloaded iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore, and tried to restore it to 4.1. using Itunes. It didn't work. It says: the Iphone couldn't be restorted because the firmware file is not compatible

what should i do now?
    Last edited by jclozada; 09-05-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks

You sure you have a 3gs ? , try downloading the 4.1 firmware again from here : iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

Use Tiny umbrella, in adv tab , check mark set hosts file to cydia and exit TU. Don't use TU to help restore, use it only to kick out error 1015.

Just a normal dfu if your current firmware is higher than 4.1, DFU mode : with iphone plug in, hold both button for 10 secs, the screen goes off, let go the Power and keep holding the Home button until the screen is black and you hear a beep, this is normal dfu mode.
    Last edited by iYeow; 09-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.

I tried what you said, but it didnt work, eventhough I thought it was going to work since it took long time for restoration in Itunes.
    I said: The Iphone couldn't be restored. An unknown error ocurred (1013)

Thanks

if you are getting error 1013, you have actually downgraded to 4.1 but stucked in a loop. Use fix frecovery 43 , put both file on the same folder , put reccovery iPhone into normal dfu and run this exe file to get out of loop
    Here is the file MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I tried and I tried, and I finally managed to use the Redsn0w b6 you mentioned in your first post. It worked! But it got to the Installing Activation Bundle phase (the one with the pineapple) and then the Iphone froze. Then I checked on youtube and I managed to fix this 'Installing Activation Bundle Freeze'

Now, my iphone is in this "slide for emergency/emergency call/plug to itunes Logo" phase.
    It also says: RESTORE NEEDED Iphone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from Itunes. www.apple.com/support

What should i do now????? I think I am almost there thanks to you!!!

ps: I didn't use fix frecovery 43 you mentioned before.
    Last edited by jclozada; 09-05-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks

If running redsnow freezes, set redsnow in xp sp2 compatibility mode and affinity to one . It should hacktivate and jailbreak.

Just do the sp2 compatibility mode and run it, you may have to restore to 4.1 again. If you do restore, just put it in recovery mode and restore to 4.1 again before doing jailbreak.

If you hit error 1015, use exit recovery, if error at 1013, use fix recovery
    Last edited by iYeow; 09-05-2011 at 11:01 PM.

If running redsnow freezes, set redsnow in xp sp2 compatibility mode and affinity to one . It should hacktivate and jailbreak.

Just do the sp2 compatibility mode and run it, you may have to restore to 4.1 again. If you do restore, just put it in recovery mode and restore to 4.1 again before doing jailbreak.

If you hit error 1015, use exit recovery, if error at 1013, use fix recovery
    Hi there!
    I am trying to do the sp2 compatibility mode, but I am afraid I don't know how to. Can you explain step by step how to do it? I really appreciate it. I mean, I open redsnow, but I don't know how to activate the xp compatibility mode. (I am using windows 7 btw)
    Anyways, I am happy my Iphone is not in recovery mode anymore. Well, tecnically it is, but now I can see the "emergency calls" mode and that's different than the "connect the iphone to Itunes" mode only. What should I do now??
    THANKS!

Hi there!!
    I FINALLY MADE IT WORK! After trying and trying I just started over with a fresh 4.1. restore and IT WORKED! Now, I have my Iphone the way I got it, with all the applications and stuff (messages, calendar, photos, camera, etc)

I feel like like I am starting from scratch.

Now, Iphone cannot make or receive calls. WHAT SHOULD I DO? It hasn't recognized my simcard (it says: searching...) How can I unlock it so I can use my simcard?

** A NEW ISSUE: iPhone displays the Restore Needed message -I phone cannot make calls or receive calls. After that, it restarts automatically. What can i do now?

Thank you for ALL your help!!!!
    Last edited by jclozada; 09-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jclozada View Post
    Hi there!!
    I FINALLY MADE IT WORK! After trying and trying I just started over with a fresh 4.1. restore and IT WORKED! Now, I have my Iphone the way I got it, with all the applications and stuff (messages, calendar, photos, camera, etc)

I feel like like I am starting from scratch.

Now, Iphone cannot make or receive calls. WHAT SHOULD I DO? It hasn't recognized my simcard (it says: searching...) How can I unlock it so I can use my simcard?

** A NEW ISSUE: iPhone displays the Restore Needed message -I phone cannot make calls or receive calls. After that, it restarts automatically. What can i do now?

Thank you for ALL your help!!!!
    Hi
    Try the steps i mentioned in this post.

Iphone 3GS Stuck in DFU and acting weird

you would the 4.1 firmware in this case.

wHAT THE THANKS TO YOU MAN iYEOW YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

help!!! i have a iphone 3gs and i sucessfully restored it to the fw 4.3.3 and but its stuck on dfu mode after i sucessfully restored it
    i used redsn0w and i only selected install cydia and it went through the whole process and it was still on dfu mode
    i used recovery43 to exit recovery and when it completes it its still on dfu!! helpp!! it wont come out of dfu!