+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G 8gb - update then Jailbreak again, help!

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi all, I was surprised and overwhelmed with the progress of everything jailbreaking-related since I did it in my phone last year. Having said that, I am now required to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G 8gb - update then Jailbreak again, help!
    Hi all,

I was surprised and overwhelmed with the progress of everything jailbreaking-related since I did it in my phone last year. Having said that, I am now required to update my old iPhone 3G from 3.x to 4.x firmware. However, I'm so confused on what to do next.

Just a brief history: Way back, when I jailbroke my iphone it was on 3.1.3 stock. I then decided to rollback to 3.1.2. I never stepped to 4.x firmware. So right now here's what I got:

Version: 3.1.2 (7D11)
    Modem Firmware: 05.12.01

The jailbreak method I used before was from jailbreakme.com (by comex). Also, when I was doing some trial and error, I remember trying a mac app called "Spirit" to jailbreak it before. But I ended up using the jailbreakme.com because it was easier. *I never tried redsnow or anything other method aside from those two.

Right now, there are so many methods out there but the newer ones doesn't mention anything for the 3G. It's usually just 3GS and above. So I don't know what guide to follow.

Before I proceed to upgrading and jailbreaking again, I have a few concerns:

1) Unlock: Right now I don't need it since I use AT&T prepaid, but in the future I'll be using it when I go to a different country.

2) GPS: I read that if you upgraded to 4.2.1 you are going to use the ipad baseband for unlock and that might disable the GPS. I also read that if you do the baseband update, you will never be able to rollback foerever. Is this true?

Im a newbie in jailbreaking but I'm willing to learn. Could anyone please help me with upgrading and jailbreaking my old phone?

Also, is 4.2.1 the latest version I could have on my phone? I'm kinda scared to the ipad baseband update warning as I depend on GPS/Unlock.

EDIT: Is there also a method of upgrading to 4.x without touching my modem firmware (05.12.01)? So it can protect me from the GPS bug and unlock capabilities?

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by keplenk; 04-22-2011 at 01:37 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

use sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 (Windows) or pwnage Tool (MAC) and create a custom ipsw. You will then put your phone into DFU mode, use iTunes to install 4.2.1 custom ipsw that you created.
    After the installation is completed, you will then need to open cydia and install ultrasn0w.

creating your custom ipsw will let you install 4.2.1 without upgrading your modem baseband, thus letting you use ultrasn0w to unlock.

4.2.1 is the last IOS released for Iphone 3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for the snowbreeze 2.2.1 but I can't find that version anymore. The one from hotfile (that everyone is linking to) said that the file is already deleted.

Also, just incase I use pwnageTool (since I also have a mac), is there a specific version I need to download?

Do you know where I can grab 2.2.1 .. I've been googling all around .. I didn't find any mirrors.

Thanks!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

@keplenk, are you sure you want to go for IOS 4.2.1, it is going to be slow and lag at opening applications.
    For 3g, 3.1.3 is at its peak in speed and performance.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    @keplenk, are you sure you want to go for IOS 4.2.1, it is going to be slow and lag at opening applications.
    For 3g, 3.1.3 is at its peak in speed and performance.
    I found 4.2.1 was not too bad, once multitasking and background wallpapers were disabled.
    OP said they are "required" to update to 4.x, wonder why?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Then without Multitask and background wallpapers, it is possible to operate normally as not all resources have been used up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goofball2k View Post
    I found 4.2.1 was not too bad, once multitasking and background wallpapers were disabled.
    OP said they are "required" to update to 4.x, wonder why?
    I actually heard about poor performance for the old 3G if you step on the 4.x firmware. Unfortunately, I have two very important apps that require atleast 4.x which is I solely use my iphone for. Not to mention the newer apps that comes out that also require 4.x which I can live without. I don't use my iphone much aside from using those 2 apps so I think I'll be fine with a performance penalty.

Anyway, thanks for the link.

I'm almost ready to update it but I just want to be sure so I'll make a summary of what I did so far.

1) I downloaded your link (sn0wbreeze) + the official iphone ipsw 4.2.1 fimrware

2) Ran sn0wbreeze (Win XP Sp2 compatibility mode + Run as Admin - I have win 7 btw) -- then dragged my ipsw to the box which detected the firmware fine.

3) After clicking the right arrow, it presented me with 3 options:

3a) Baseband Preservation Mode
    3b) Simple Mode
    3c) Expert Mode

I clicked "Expert Mode" and it presented me with 5 box options: General, Unlocks, Custom Boot logos, Custom Packages, Build IPSW.

4) I clicked "General" then right arrow -> It gives me a lot of options.

I unchecked all Springboard modifications. I also unchecked Hactivate since I have an AT&T simcard. I checked Install SSH. I left the "Make ISPW NOR-only" unchecked. I also left the root partition size at 800mb.

5) clicked next arrow and I just unchecked the custom boot logo and recovery logo click next

6) I keep clicking next on the custom packages option then I'm back to the 5 menu option. I then clicked Build ISPW then next.

7) It built the IPSW (told me if I want to play pacman).

Now after that, I'm sitting on an option telling me to do the DFU mode. However before I do that I just want to make sure I did it correctly.

I would just like to note that I saw a red text saying that sn0wbreeze will not update the baseband ever, which is very nice.

Lastly, I also read about backing up the SHSH blob? Do I need to do that? If yes, how do I do it? Can I do it with my current 3.1.2 jailbroken iphone right now?

Just sitting here, hoping that you reply again Thanks!

UPDATE: Success! Thanks guys. I did it using pwnagetool instead.

So far its not bad (performance wise).
    Last edited by keplenk; 04-24-2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost