Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Update iPhone 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.0 or 4.1

Default Update iPhone 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.0 or 4.1
    Ok so here is the deal, I have a iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3 and I was thinking about updating to 4.0 or 4.1, I am on T-Mobile so I rely on my unlock. My modem firmware is 05.12.01, and I unsure if I will be able to update to 4.0 and be able to keep my unlock.

I really only want 4.0 for gamecenter and a few apps/updates that require 4.0. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,646 Posts

First of all, download tiny umbrella, plug your iphone in and click save shsh . If you see 4.1 shsh blob, then you can create a custom firmware of 4.1 from Snowbreeze 2.1, use expert mode and uncheck activate my iphone. You will need the official sim to trigger once you reached emergency screen.
    Once created, it will be placed on your desktop called snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw
    Run redsn0wb 0.9.6b6 abd browse to stock 4.1 firmware, Check only the box dfu mode only. Once DFU is achieved, run itunes , shift + restore to custom firmware of 4.1.
    Your baseband is being preserved this way. Now at emergency screen, you can leave the official sim in there to trigger it into home screen.
    Now you are already jailbroken at 4.1
    Install Ultrasn0w to unlock.
    You are all set.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

katastrophic (02-25-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Beware of 4.1!
    Ok so here is the deal, I have a iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3 and I was thinking about updating to 4.0 or 4.1, I am on T-Mobile so I rely on my unlock. My modem firmware is 05.12.01, and I unsure if I will be able to update to 4.0 and be able to keep my unlock.

I really only want 4.0 for gamecenter and a few apps/updates that require 4.0. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    I travel to Germany several times a year and need an alternative to the exorbitant AT&T charges. NB blau.de sells SIMs for mostly Germany that cost €10 and give you €0.20 / min within Germany and to the US & Canada. For a additional €10 you get 1GB downloads for a month

I recommend upgrading to 4.0.1 NOT 4.0.2 or 4.1. Here 's why:
    iYeows advice is good but my experience at 4.1 was not good.
    Background:
    iPhone 3GS purchased Jun2009 at AT&T store.
    Original iOS - 3.1.3 (old bootrom)
    BEFORE I did anything to the phone, I read most of the tutorials at hackthatphone.com. I highly recommend these, they're very informative!
    I saved my shsh blobs using tinyumbrella, backed up my phone and photos
    I jailbroke using jailbreakme.com and unlocked with ultrasn0w.
    Worked fine
    In August 2010, I upgraded to 4.0.1 using Pwnagtool (saved my shsh blobs) and unlocked with ultrasn0w. I noticed when I upgraded that my phone switched it's language to Danish but when I synced with iTunes, it turned back into English. Note: 4.0.2 is a trap designed by Apple to prevent jailbreaking. The forums are full of people who fell into this trap and are now stuck!

Then about 2 weeks ago, I decided to upgrade to 4.1.
    Used Pwnagetool, and ultrans0w as before. Result: Phone was stuck in Danish again which I don't speak. There is an easy way to switch it back, which I discovered with advice form a forum moderator. BB increased to 5.13.04 which supports 4.0.1 (YAY!)
    Worse: The battery drained completely in about 4 hrs at idle. Finally, when the battery drained to 0 and I charged it enough to use, the carrier was GONE! I had turned my iPhone into an iPad. There are others who have posted to this and the hacint0sh forums and as far as I can tell there is no acceptable solution to this problem.
    I managed to DOWNGRADE from 4.1 to 4.0.1 using the following steps:
    1) put the phone in DFU mode (I used tinyumbrella)
    2) option+Restore in iTunes
    3) navigated to the ipsw I saved associated with 4.0.1
    4) restore from backup (I had one from Sept that worked)
    5) sync with iTunes
    Put my iPhone back to almost were I was 2 weeks ago

My recommendation:
    try 4.1 if you like but SAVE YOUR SHSH blobs so you can go back if you experience erratic behavior.
    READ and re-read the tutorials at hackthatphone.com and contribute to his site.
    Be prepared to downgrade to 4.0.1 if 4.1 doesn't work for you
    Good luck,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    First of all, download tiny umbrella, plug your iphone in and click save shsh . If you see 4.1 shsh blob, then you can create a custom firmware of 4.1 from Snowbreeze 2.1, use expert mode and uncheck activate my iphone. You will need the official sim to trigger once you reached emergency screen.
    Once created, it will be placed on your desktop called snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw
    Run redsn0wb 0.9.6b6 abd browse to stock 4.1 firmware, Check only the box dfu mode only. Once DFU is achieved, run itunes , shift + restore to custom firmware of 4.1.
    Your baseband is being preserved this way. Now at emergency screen, you can leave the official sim in there to trigger it into home screen.
    Now you are already jailbroken at 4.1
    Install Ultrasn0w to unlock.
    You are all set.
    Ok, so I have the same idea of possibly updating mi iphone 3gs from 3.1.3 to 4.1 or higher. Same reasons too, just so its up to date and I can get the new apps and whatever. I too have modem firmware 05.12.01. I havent tried any of the above steps yet am im a little thrown by your comments "You will need the official sim to trigger once you reached emergency screen." Official SIM? What do you mean by this?

I bought this phone when i lived in Canada, I believe it was originally on AT&T carrier however was unlocked and jailbroken by a "pro" when I was there so I could use it with my Fido sim and it is now being used on an orange sim back in the Uk, where I live now.

So my question is can it be possible for me to do this and if so what steps do I take? I've done a few searches and your name iYeow keeps appearing, you seem very helpful!

Thanks in advance, Tom.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,646 Posts

Official sim means if this iPhone is locked to US , then it is atnt. But if this iPhone came from Canada, it could be Rogers, then you need Rogers sim to trigger.
    You can do a google search country carrier by iPhone model.
    To preserve your current unlockable Basband, when you create a custom firmware, use expert mode and make sure you check mark the activate my iPhone so when restored successfully, your iPhone will be jailbroken and be at homescreen. You don't need the official sim at all. Restoring to cfw of 4.2.1 requires shsh so you need to run TSS server with your downloaded 4.2.1 shsh blob on your pc.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

katastrophic (08-29-2011), tomcannon (04-01-2011)

Ok, well there is obviously no way of me using an official sim. I have ran tinyumbrella and it said the following:
    iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293)
    iPhone3GS 4.0.1 (8A306)
    iPhone3GS 4.0.2 (8A400)
    iPhone3GS 4.1 (8B117)
    iPhone3GS 4.2.1 (8C148a)
    iPhone3GS 4.3 (8F190)
    iPhone3GS 4.3.1 (8G4)

I dont understand where to go from here or what you mean by running tss server with my downloaded 4.2.1 shsh blob! Sorry, this is all new to me!

Thans again!

test
    Last edited by sad_nomad; 08-08-2011 at 06:18 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Faeedor View Post

It's VERY important to preserve your ability to unlock easily that you do not update your baseband above 5.13.04. Stock Apple 4.0 is associated with 5.13.04 so you can easily use the ipsw from Apple for this (assuming you have your shsh blobs saved). Above 4.0 you can use Pwnagtool to create a custom IPSW, which you can use instead of the Apple one. I use ultrasn0w to unlock. Note that each iOS version requires the associated Pwnagtool version i.e. iOS 4.1 requires Pwnagtool version 4.1 etc. The single advantage of 4.0 is that you don't need a custom ipsw and can merely option+Restore in iTunes but you will need TinyUmbrella's TSS server running to intercept the signing, which of course Apple doesn't do any more for that. If you need any more information than this, consult other posts on this blog or try Hacint0sh.org or the DevTeam blog where there are many, many posts on upgrades and even more of people who acted first and then were sorry. Be careful of iClarified's tutorials. They're great but in some cases, they will tell you how to Jailbreak but not mention that if you use their technique you won't be able to unlock. Do your research BEFORE touching the phone. It will save you much headache and lots of time trying to fix something that might not be fixable.

I had a bad experience with 4.1 on my AT&T 3gs with unacceptable battery drain and returned to 4.0.1. I recently upgraded to 4.2.1 and am very happy. (One of the moderators at Hackint0sh thinks that 4.3 puts too great demands on the RAM in the 3GS and recommends staying at 4.2 unless you really NEED anything higher). I still have BB 5.13.04 and plan to keep it that way.

Good luck and READ, READ, READ before you do anything with that valuable low BB phone.
    Last edited by tympani; 08-13-2011 at 01:42 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tympani For This Useful Post:

katastrophic (08-29-2011)