Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore Newer Backup on Older Firmware?

Default Restore Newer Backup on Older Firmware?
    I have an iPhone 3G[S] Newer Bootrom and am on 4.2 right now. I used TinyUmbrella to downgrade to 4.1 yesterday and everything worked great except I can't restore the backup I made so I re-upgraded to 4.2. The backup was made on 4.2 so it looks like Apple doesn't let you use backups taken in 4.2 when you downgrade to 4.1. Any solution on how I can fix this? I really want my unteathered jailbreak back (on 4.1 since one doesn't exist for my phone on 4.2 yet), and at the same time I need all the information that's on the phone right now and not the backup from a month ago when I hadn't upgraded yet! Any ideas on how I can get the 4.2 backup to work on 4.1 firmware?

Thanks

no, there is no way around it that I am aware of, also if the backup is from a jailbroken phone it is never recommened that you restore to a jailbroken backup as it can cause issues

Oh, ok. I kinda figured that might be the case. Is there a way to back up all my text messages? I'd really like to keep my text conversations and everything else syncs with my mac so if I could back those up, I could just restore it as a new phone on 4.1 and sync to get all my contacts, calendar events, email, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

You could try making a copy of the sms.db

Thanks Stealth, that worked! Can't open pics or vids that were sent in txt but that's no big deal since I have them elsewhere on my phone. Thanks again!

Thanks

if you copy the entire contents of the sms folder it will give you all the pics and vids
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete, drawn only to be washed away. For the time that I've been given, I am what I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I figured that was probably the case. But too late, already resored on 4.1 and I'd rather not restore back, thanks though!

Default Try This
    Find the backup folder location, select the backup you wish to restore and open the Info.plist using a playlist editor and change the Device Version to the version your wanting to restore to.