+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.1 JB not possible, right?

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I'm sorry for the new thread, but with all the information (and mis-information) floating around the internet, I thought I'd find a reputable forum to ask. Long story short, my
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 4.1 JB not possible, right?
    I'm sorry for the new thread, but with all the information (and mis-information) floating around the internet, I thought I'd find a reputable forum to ask.

Long story short, my sister-in-law found a 32Gb Ipod Touch laying in a puddle outside of her work a few weeks ago. After asking around for a week or so to find the owner, I eventually bought it off of her for a meager sum of 50$

It's an Ipod Touch 3G 32GB (I believe this is right, as the Apple site said to look for model, and it's a A1318.) Unfortunately it was password protected with a 4 digit code. After picking up a cable, I ran a restore on it, and it installed 4.1 (that's what iTunes says anyway...) But after a day of searching, and conflicting information dealing with models and such, I thought it best to make a post.

So, given my situation, what can I do? I'd really like to open up the capabilities of this lil beast, but with all the information floating around, who knows what's best anymore?

Oh, and I do have quite a bit of experience with computers, but never really touched anything Apple-related before, so bare that in mind

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Use Greenpois0n or Limera1n

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Use Greenpois0n or Limera1n
    Thanks for the quick reply. Does it matter which one?

Thanks

Woops, sorry for some reason I convinced myself you had an iPod Touch 4g. You'll wanna use Limera1n on your 3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Woops, sorry for some reason I convinced myself you had an iPod Touch 4g. You'll wanna use Limera1n on your 3G.
    LOL I wasn't aware there was a 4g. So Limera1n will 'break the 4.1 then? There's no other info needed? It's that simple?

Thanks

It's simple. Since you're already on 4.1, simply run Limera1n and click "make it ra1n" then follow the prompts it gives you with your device (it will tell you to hold the home+power button, release the power button, etc). Just follow the prompts correctly and let Limera1n finish its work. Afterwards, you'll see the Limera1n icon on your springboard. Enter the app and install "Cydia". Let it install, it will probably reboot your device after. When that's done, your device will be jb and you can go back into the limera1n app and uninstall it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you! I'll report back when it's broken! Whats the most up to date site that hosts it?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flaskmaster View Post
    Thank you! I'll report back when it's broken! Whats the most up to date site that hosts it?
    Limera1n? You should always get it from the source: limera1n.com
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Limera1n? You should always get it from the source: limera1n.com
    Thanks! The wife is on the computer ATM and watching the 2nd season of big bang theory so I'm stuck on the touch lol. I'll look into this when she gets off.

Ok. So as far as I can tell it's broken. I have Cydia installed and can browse apps and themes. But everything I see costs cash? Where to go from here?
    Last edited by flaskmaster; 10-17-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

A lot of the good stuff are paid apps, but a ton more are free. What are you looking for that all cost money? I mean if you really like something, buy it. If you don't think it's worth money then don't buy it lol. That's the best I can say. There's tons of cool stuff on Cydia that are free, so just do some exploring.