+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SHSH blobs understanding help!

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Ok, so I have an iPhone 3GS on iPhone operating system 4. I have SHSH's for 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.1. Let me get this straight...if I upgrade to 4.2 on
    Thanks
    Default SHSH blobs understanding help!
    Ok, so I have an iPhone 3GS on iPhone operating system 4. I have SHSH's for 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.1. Let me get this straight...if I upgrade to 4.2 on accident when it's released and lose my jailbreak, can I revert back to an shsh firmware I have?
    Also jailbreaking refers to firmware and unlocking deals with baseband right? So if I update to 4.2 and get a new non-unlockable baseband, can I still revert back to an older firmware? I'm fine with AT&T so unlocking isn't important for me. If I chose to update can I update to 4.1 using my blob, or do I gotta update to newest OS then downgrade?
    Last question: why is unlocking so much harder than jailbreaking?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

you cannot revert the baseband. you can downgrade to an earlier FW (4.0, 4.0.1 ect..) by using tinyumbrella.

Twitter: @tshoults

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can restore to prev FW if you have SHSH.
    You should be able to downgrade from 4.2 to your earlier FW.
    Yes, JB is FW, unlock is BB.

When you upgrade past 4.0.2 (BB 01.59.00), have TinyUmbrella (v4.1.4 or newer) running wiht TSS server active. TU will prevent baseband upgrade when going past 4.0.2.

If you upgraded to 4.1 w/o TU active and your baseband is now 2x, I would go ahead and downgrade to 4.0.2 or earlier, then upgrade using TU this time to preserve your BB. Others have said you can't downgrade BB, but I was able to downgrade mine after upgrading to 4.1 FW.

Then before you upgrade to 4.2, check with the firmware umbrella site (found here The Firmware Umbrella) and download the next version of Tiny Umbrella once it supports iOS 4.2. Once it is up and running on your PC, you should be able to safely upgrade to 4.2 and remain on 1.59.00 BB.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    You can restore to prev FW if you have SHSH.
    You should be able to downgrade from 4.2 to your earlier FW.
    Yes, JB is FW, unlock is BB.

When you upgrade past 4.0.2 (BB 01.59.00), have TinyUmbrella (v4.1.4 or newer) running wiht TSS server active. TU will prevent baseband upgrade when going past 4.0.2.

If you upgraded to 4.1 w/o TU active and your baseband is now 2x, I would go ahead and downgrade to 4.0.2 or earlier, then upgrade using TU this time to preserve your BB. Others have said you can't downgrade BB, but I was able to downgrade mine after upgrading to 4.1 FW.

Then before you upgrade to 4.2, check with the firmware umbrella site (found here The Firmware Umbrella) and download the next version of Tiny Umbrella once it supports iOS 4.2. Once it is up and running on your PC, you should be able to safely upgrade to 4.2 and remain on 1.59.00 BB.
    You have an Iphone 4, and your baseband is 1.59.00 using TU. Your BB is going to be the same even if you upgrade to 4.2 or any future firmware. It also means that you cannot refresh your baseband anymore but you are permanently unlocked.
    If for some reason, you need to go to a higher baseband, you are screwed until a solution comes out.

Green Apple
    Thanks

When upgrading from 4.0.1 to the latest version or even 4.1 with tiny umbrella using a modified ipsw file provided from iclarified.com does this mean my jailbreak stays intact and I don't have to re jailbreak? Thx.

Green Apple
    Thanks

By the way I have an iPhone 4