Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: downgrade 3g 4.01 to 3.13

Cool downgrade 3g 4.01 to 3.13
    READ THIS WHOLE THREAD BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. OTHERS MAY HAVE WORKED OUT THE BUGS IN THE WAY I DID IT WHICH HAS WORKED WHEN MY WAY FAILED

Well this is my first post in these forums. I have searched here and found alot of good info over the past couple years of owning my iphone, and i figured I may be able to contribute something now. Screwing around today, I may have uncovered a new? way of downgrading firmware only using itunes. So im going to share it. It worked for me, TWICE.

my setup: windows 7, itunes 10.1(absolute newest version as of 10/9/10), iphone 3g 8gb, and baseband 05.13.04

Story: updated to 4.0.1, phone was slow as crap. I jailbroke it for the first time after owning it for more than 1.5 years. I was tired of it being so slow so i looked for a solution. After trying countless tutorials, i gave up but ended up making it work somehow. Heres how i did it.

Note: I highly discourage doing this unless you are absolutly prepared to not be able to use a backup and are fine with the idea of having to upgrade to the latest firmware as a last resort. this tutorial should be a last resort, not something cool to try. If you deviate at all from this I doubt it will work, im not even sure if it will work for you if you follow it exactly, so do it at your own risk

1. First thing I did was download the ispw files. I downloaded the 3.13 file, and the 4.0 file.

2. Find the "hosts" file, direct it towards sauriks server.

3. Restore your phone in itunes using the shift+click method and select the 3.13 file. It will error at some point, probably the 1015 error. dont worry.

4. Your phone should be in dfu mode, if its not, put it in dfu mode. Itunes will recognize it shortly after the restore failed in step 3. this is the point were reading the rest of this thread comes into play, try downloading on of the mentioned programs below before doing this my way, as it has received with mixed results Go ahead and shift+click restore again, but this time; select the ispw 4.0 file.....! It will start the process over again, but not exactly the same. It should then display an error shortly after it starts the restore. Error 31xx. The restore has now failed. Your phone will reboot itself; it will dispaly the apple icon with a loading bar then quickly go away, and God willing, start loading until it gets to the OEM emergency call screen. your iphone should now be activated. then itunes ask me if i wanted to restore from a back up, i said yes. it then said firmware was too old, and wouldnt let me do it.

5. then it turned on. no idea how it worked, but im on 3.13 again. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE A BACKUP, its from a newer firmware. My iphone is oem again, no contacts, pictures, or anything else.

this worked for me, twice. yeah. good luck, if any of you have trouble i highly doubt i can help, im a super noob to this stuff. I just wasnt able to find this info when i was looking, so I thought I would share.
    Last edited by eurobro; 10-18-2010 at 01:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eurobro For This Useful Post:

Anwar57 (10-09-2010)

Hi, i'm in exactly the same position as you were. Just bought the phone second hand and have been on the pc for so many hours trying all sort to downgrade it to 3.13 to no avail. All the posts claim I need a shsh blog to do the downgrade. I have jailbroken it on 4.01 using redSnow so cydia is installed. Everytime I try to update via itunes, it hangs in recovery/dfu mode endlessly and even recboot cant bring it out though it easily put it in there. The only solution in the end is to restore again via itunes to 4.01 which then goes thru seamlessly with no dfu "hanging" . From your posts... what do you mean by 2. Find the "hosts" file, direct it towards sauriks server and how do I go about this please. my setup: windows 7, itunes 10.1(absolute newest version as of 18/10/10), iphone 3g 16gb, and baseband 05.13.04
    Please help as this is my return to the iphone since 2007 or so.Thanx.

click the link below and follow its steps. You are basically finding a file called "hosts" and then adding the address to sauriks server. After you do that, follow the rest of what I posted. It should work. If it doesnt, let me know exactly at what point it got hung up.

Saurik New duplicate server bluffs iTunes: You can downgrade to lower firmware version | All on the iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

Eurobro... thanks for the quick reply. Did everything you and saurik said. It had the 1015 error after the 3.13 load and then went on to the 4.0 which it unfortunately didnt hang but went all the way to a fcomplete restore and sync with the 4.0 firmware I have changed the Hosts address as well as per the link... what could i do next please? desperate.

When you get the error from iTunes after the 3.1.3 downgrade try using tinyumbrella's new "kick out of recovery" feature.

If that doesn't work google "iRecovery". I've had to use this tool a couple times.
    If I helped you in any way please click the THANKS! button below.

Even if you just want to click it for fun, go ahead, have fun.

I dont have any advice for you really. Once I selected the 4.0 software when the phone was in dfu with 3.13, it gliched and loaded right up. I cant really offer any advice since im not an expert on this, I just posted what worked for me. You might try restarting your computer after you edited the hosts file, couldnt hurt.

One question. Is it going into dfu mode after it errors with the 1015 error? You know, were it says to plug it into itunes

@ eurobro - yes it is going into the 1015 error and plug it into iTunes and thanks
    @bubba's 69 - thanx a lot, i am going to try that now

That should fix it. Let me know if it helped.

Whether it helped??? IT ROCKED!!!! bubba's thanks a lot for the final nail in 4.0's coffin and you too eurobros for setting it all up. now running the 3.13 OS

Whats best to jailbreak it with then... still redsnow?
    Last edited by dabs; 10-17-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

No prob!! So glad to hear it worked. 3.x is much better on the 3G. Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by eurobro View Post
    Well this is my first post in these forums. I have searched here and found alot of good info over the past couple years of owning my iphone, and i figured I may be able to contribute something now. Screwing around today, I may have uncovered a new? way of downgrading firmware only using itunes. So im going to share it. It worked for me, TWICE.

my setup: windows 7, itunes 10.1(absolute newest version as of 10/9/10), iphone 3g 8gb, and baseband 05.13.04

Story: updated to 4.0.1, phone was slow as crap. I jailbroke it for the first time after owning it for more than 1.5 years. I was tired of it being so slow so i looked for a solution. After trying countless tutorials, i gave up but ended up making it work somehow. Heres how i did it.

Note: I highly discourage doing this unless you are absolutly prepared to not be able to use a backup and are fine with the idea of having to upgrade to the latest firmware as a last resort. this tutorial should be a last resort, not something cool to try. If you deviate at all from this I doubt it will work, im not even sure if it will work for you if you follow it exactly, so do it at your own risk

1. First thing I did was download the ispw files. I downloaded the 3.13 file, and the 4.0 file.

2. Find the "hosts" file, direct it towards sauriks server.

3. Restore your phone in itunes using the shift+click method and select the 3.13 file. It will error at some point, probably the 1015 error. dont worry.

4. Your phone should be in dfu mode, if its not, put it in dfu mode. Itunes will recognize it shortly after the restore failed in step 3. Go ahead and shift+click restore again, but this time; select the ispw 4.0 file.....! It will start the process over again, but not exactly the same. It should then display an error shortly after it starts the restore. Error 31xx. The restore has now failed. Your phone will reboot itself; it will dispaly the apple icon with a loading bar then quickly go away, and God willing, start loading until it gets to the OEM emergency call screen. your iphone should now be activated. then itunes ask me if i wanted to restore from a back up, i said yes. it then said firmware was too old, and wouldnt let me do it.

5. then it turned on. no idea how it worked, but im on 3.13 again. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE A BACKUP, its from a newer firmware. My iphone is oem again, no contacts, pictures, or anything else.

this worked for me, twice. yeah. good luck, if any of you have trouble i highly doubt i can help, im a super noob to this stuff. I just wasnt able to find this info when i was looking, so I thought I would share.
    How is this method different from the established method of downgrading the 3G/3Gs?

For the 3G, you can always downgrade to a lower firmware by clicking Shift+Restore and selecting the ipsw file (in this case the 3.1.3). It will give you an error (1015 since you are downgrading from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3 - it's a baseband error thing). You can kick that error out using Tiny Umbrella and you will be on 3.1.3 as the firmware have been loaded into the phone. There is no need to restore using 4.0 again as mentioned in your post.

There have been reports that even the 3G will require SHSHs blobs to downgrade so that is why pointing your host file to Saurik Server is important.

For the 3Gs, you will need to have an existing SHSHs blobs stored in Cydia or locally and that is where pointing the host file to Saurik's server comes into play. If you do not have the SHSHs, you won't be able to downgrade, period.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Crash course tutorial, great.

3G you only need SHSH for 4.0 and above, that's why this worked here, as you were going to 3.1.3.

My joy is that it did work as recboot couldnt kick it out of DFU

Quote Originally Posted by azraeil View Post
    How is this method different from the established method of downgrading the 3G/3Gs?

For the 3G, you can always downgrade to a lower firmware by clicking Shift+Restore and selecting the ipsw file (in this case the 3.1.3). It will give you an error (1015 since you are downgrading from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3 - it's a baseband error thing). You can kick that error out using Tiny Umbrella and you will be on 3.1.3 as the firmware have been loaded into the phone. There is no need to restore using 4.0 again as mentioned in your post.

There have been reports that even the 3G will require SHSHs blobs to downgrade so that is why pointing your host file to Saurik Server is important.

For the 3Gs, you will need to have an existing SHSHs blobs stored in Cydia or locally and that is where pointing the host file to Saurik's server comes into play. If you do not have the SHSHs, you won't be able to downgrade, period.
    Mine was different because I only used itunes to get it out of DFU. I tried recboot & libusb but couldnt get it to work, then I discovered this. Tried is a couple times about posted it with the warning that it might not work. Im glad you guys got it sorted so now that everyone can do it, im gonna edit my main post to include what you guys said.