Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 3.12 tethered to untethered

Default 3GS 3.12 tethered to untethered
    hey guys,

i have a 3gs that's on 3.12 tethered with blackra1n. all i want to do is to be able to switch on my phone without connecting to the computer (i.e. untethered).

i've tried using snowbreeze to update to 4.01, but i didn't save my shsh blobs. moreover, snowbreeze is still a tethered jailbreak, right?

any advice is vvvvv much appreciated!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chocolatelust For This Useful Post:

Alexandre445 (11-16-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

No, you cannot use snowbreeze on a new bootrom. You will have shsh blogs for 4.0.1 eventhough you are not at 4.0.1 yet, if you have said Yes, make my life easier in the beginning of your jailbreak, you should have it.
    This is what you do:
    PC :Run Notepad as Admin and open up the hosts file:
    Cwindows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    and add this line to the very bottom
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    and mark everything with this # infront of it to ignore
    Save it and reboot
    Now do the Shift Key + Restore to 4.0.1 ipsw which you can download here :
    iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
    Once restored, put your official sim to activate
    Go to jailbreakme 2.0 from Safari on your iphone
    Slide to jailbreak.
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w again.
    This is untethered jailbreak.

ahh thanks for the reply! i don't have shsh blobs for 4.01, and tried using tinyumbrella to save it, but can't.

i'm totally new on this stuff, and not a techie at all. what're my options now(other than just upgrading to 4.2 officially)?

p.s http://www.mobile-geeks.com/snowbree...-ios-4.1-5915/ it says iPhone 3GS new bootrom (Must be previously jailbroken on 3.1.2), so i thought it'd work.
    Last edited by chocolatelust; 10-04-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks

Open up Cydia, the front page in green letters. What shsh is on it.

SHSH: iOS 4.1 .. (which is because i used tinyumbrella to save its SHSH...)

in that case, is my only option to do an official update to 4.2 and lock my set if i want to switch on my phone without connecting to the com?
    Last edited by chocolatelust; 10-04-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks

What did you see on Cydia ? I cannot proceed until you tell me what you see there.

that's what i see: SHSH iOS 4.1. the words in green letters.
    Last edited by chocolatelust; 10-04-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks

Ok, I know what is going on. Whoever did the jailbreak was just recently when Apple is signing 4.1 and he had it at 3.1.2 without jailbreak until now before selling it, so if you are to restore, you can only restore to 4.1 at its lowest.
    You should install minimum apps from Cydia to avoid crashing or you have to update to 4.1 and lose jailbreak and unlock.
    When buying iphone, you should look for shsh blogs saved with Cydia, you should ask the questions about shsh blogs.
    Last edited by iYeow; 10-04-2010 at 11:22 PM.

? it's my own iPhone bought from the official carrier in my country. when I first got it, the software was 3.12, my bf used blackrain to jailbreak it. lived with it until now. i want an untethered jailbreak but haven't saved any blobs apart from 4.1...

so this means I can use a downloaded 4.1 Ipsw and jailbreak it again? will it be untethered? if so, which program do I need? is snowbreeze for 3gs new bootrom untethered?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatelust View Post
    ? it's my own iPhone bought from the official carrier in my country. when I first got it, the software was 3.12, my bf used blackrain to jailbreak it. lived with it until now. i want an untethered jailbreak but haven't saved any blobs apart from 4.1...

so this means I can use a downloaded 4.1 Ipsw and jailbreak it again? will it be untethered? if so, which program do I need? is snowbreeze for 3gs new bootrom untethered?
    sn0wbreeze can't help you at this point regrettably.

Also, I strongly advise against downloading and restoring to a stock 4.1 IPSW--it'll update your baseband, rendering your phone locked to whatever network it came on for a while, possibly permanently.

If I were you, I'd wait until the SHAtter exploit is released, along with an updated sn0wbreeze utilizing the exploit. Then you'll get the custom firmware along with a (hopefully) untethered jailbreak and unlock.

Hang in there, I know being tethered is a pain, but you should soon be free.

thanks! you two have been immensely helpful. i'm really not a techie, but have been looking for ways to solve my problem.

what's shatter? btw, if i have a 4.1 shsh blob and a downloaded 4.1 ipsw and i use snowbreeze, it''ll upgrade my software version but will still be tethered, right?

Thanks

Then the reason you didn't have shsh blogs saved is because your bf said No Thanks to make my life easier

Bought from your country, then you are using the official carrier, you do not need unlock, it is only the jailbreak you have to worry about.
    Last edited by iYeow; 10-05-2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatelust View Post
    thanks! you two have been immensely helpful. i'm really not a techie, but have been looking for ways to solve my problem.

what's shatter? btw, if i have a 4.1 shsh blob and a downloaded 4.1 ipsw and i use snowbreeze, it''ll upgrade my software version but will still be tethered, right?
    SHAtter is the codename for a new exploit designed to circumvent Apple's security protocols on iDevices that has not been publicly released yet.

With a 4.1 blob, you can always restore to 4.1 stock.

Though if you use sn0wbreeze after it's been updated with SHAtter, you (hopefully) won't need the blobs to restore the custom firmware that will provide the jailbreak. No guarantees, as I don't know the payload SHAtter uses or how sn0wbreeze will use SHAtter (but since you've already got a blob for 4.1, you're covered).

If you download a 4.1 IPSW and use the SHAtter/sn0wbreeze combination, it'll upgrade your firmware, but at the same time, your device will be jailbroken out of the gate. It will hopefully be untethered boot (but no guarantees, I don't know much about SHAtter; best guess is it'll be untethered for 4.1 but tethered for all later firmwares).

hi!

i've restored my iphone to 4.1 on limerain, but now i can't install any apps. why is this so?
    ---
    found the reason! thanks! a*********.
    Last edited by iYeow; 11-16-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks

Piracy and stealing of apps is not permitted.
    This thread is closed, No more help.