Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to go from 3.1.x to 4.0.1 on 3GS?

Default How to go from 3.1.x to 4.0.1 on 3GS?
    Can someone point me to the instructions for updating a jailbroken 3GS running 3.1.2 to 4.0.1? I downloaded the firmware, did a Shift-Restore, but get an Unknown Error 3194. Do I have to go into DFU mode and modify hosts file to what? Cydia has saved the signing info (or whatever you call it) for 3.1.2 but I don't think that matters unless I'm going to 3.1.2. I want to update to 4.0.1 instead of 4.0.2 and the phone has never had anything newer than 3.1.2 on it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

You have two options here but I have to ask you a question ? Is your jailbreak at 3.1.2 tethered or untethered jailbreak ? Meaning if you turn off your iphone, do you have to hook it up to pc in order to boot up your iphone.

it turns on and off without being connected to the PC (Blackra1n)

I do have another 3GS I alreaded updated to 4.0.1 and jailbroke in addition to an iPhone 4 running 4.0.1 jailbroken - in case that helps.

Thanks

Good, the easiest way is to restore to a custom firmware either by Pwnage tool 4.0.1 or Snowbreeze 1.7 of iOS 4.0 not 4.0.1. Do you know how to do that?

Don't use Jailbreakme.com to jailbreak
    Last edited by iYeow; 08-19-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If it involves more than download the ipsw file, putting the phone in DFU mode and doing a SHIFT-RESTORE in iTunes, then NO, I don't know how to do it. What is the advantage as opposed to just installing stock 4.0.1 and then using JailBreakMe 2.0?

Thanks

Go to this site to download the 3gs 4.0 ipsw :
    iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
    If you are using pc, go to iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones to download snowbreeze 1.7.
    Build your custom firmware.
    Put your Iphone into recovery mode
    Shift + Restore to the created cfw
    Once restored, you are already jailbroken, activated iphone.
    Install Ultrasn0w to unlock again.
    That is it.
    For all future upgrades and downgrades , always use custom firmware. Remember when restoring to custom firmware, you must always put your iphone into recovery mode , so no error will pop out.
    The benefits of old bootrom is you do not need to edit your hosts file because cfw bypasses all shsh file and you can customize your build when creating cfw. If this helps press the Thanks button..

Well I was just told Apple stopped signing 4.0.1 two hours ago so many your method is my only option. Let me take a step back and get your opinion on this. I'm essentially going to sell the phone, it's my old phone, but I think it will fetch a better price if I update to 4.0.1 and jailbreak and unlock it. Maybe it is just a waste of time but I want to make sure at least all my data is on there and DON'T want to restore to 4.0.2 in case the new owner wants to JB. What would you recommend:

a) wiping just data and leave firmware alone (how?)
    b) restoring to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 firmware
    b) going to 4.0.1

I'm just guessing it is more attractive with 4.0.1 and jailbroken as Cydia saved the SHSH so they should be able to go back to 3.1.2 if they want or restore to 4.0.2.

Question: If I do the above, can the new owner just do a standard update in iTunes in the future without going to DFU mode if they don't care about jailbreaking it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by consultant1027 View Post
    Well I was just told Apple stopped signing 4.0.1 two hours ago so many your method is my only option. Let me take a step back and get your opinion on this. I'm essentially going to sell the phone, it's my old phone, but I think it will fetch a better price if I update to 4.0.1 and jailbreak and unlock it. Maybe it is just a waste of time but I want to make sure at least all my data is on there and DON'T want to restore to 4.0.2 in case the new owner wants to JB. What would you recommend:

a) wiping just data and leave firmware alone (how?)
    b) restoring to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 firmware
    b) going to 4.0.1

I'm just guessing it is more attractive with 4.0.1 and jailbroken as Cydia saved the SHSH so they should be able to go back to 3.1.2 if they want or restore to 4.0.2.

Question: If I do the above, can the new owner just do a standard update in iTunes in the future without going to DFU mode if they don't care about jailbreaking it?
    You can make it more attractive and fetch a higher price if you restore to cfw of 4.0 and mentioned that this iphone has the oldbootrom which is very rare.
    If the new owner doesn't want unlock and jailbreak , then he can just restore to stock firmware. But tell whoever buys your iphone , always restore to custom firmware and stay away from stock firmware because using cfw is golden ( customising the boot logos, bigger partition and many other things.)

Restoring to custom firmware will wipe out all info from your Iphone.
    Restoring to stock 3.1.2 is a big hassle. You have to edit hosts file and you might encounter errors.
    Last edited by iYeow; 08-19-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks

Yeow202 is very much correct. If you have the option of using custom firmwares go with it.

Now that Apple stop signing 4.0.1 today, is it possible to upgrade from 3.1.2 to 4.0.1 without losing call history/messages/contacts? With a SHSH and what about without a SHSH?

Thanks

To the first part yes. To the second part no, with out shsh's for 4.0.1 you can no longer install that fw.

Is the way to tell you have the old bootrom that the jailbroken phone does not have to be tethered when you power cycle it? In other words, Blackra1n only worked with the old bootrom?

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Go to this site to download the 3gs 4.0 ipsw :
    iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
    If you are using pc, go to iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones to download snowbreeze 1.7.
    Build your custom firmware.
    Put your Iphone into recovery mode
    Shift + Restore to the created cfw
    Once restored, you are already jailbroken, activated iphone.
    Install Ultrasn0w to unlock again.
    That is it.
    For all future upgrades and downgrades , always use custom firmware. Remember when restoring to custom firmware, you must always put your iphone into recovery mode , so no error will pop out.
    The benefits of old bootrom is you do not need to edit your hosts file because cfw bypasses all shsh file and you can customize your build when creating cfw. If this helps press the Thanks button..
    I get, not a valid 4.0 ipsw. So this only works with 4.0 and not 4.0.1?

Think I just screwed myself possibly. I made the mistake of using the Delete Data & Settings function so phone won't boot now. I downloaded IOS 4 and ran Sn0wbreeze but when I try to install the firmware with phone in DFU mode, iTunes gives unknown error 1600. I found one thread that says don't put in DFU mode to get around error 1600 but the phone won't boot so that's the only option!?
    Last edited by consultant1027; 08-20-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Man, you shouldn't have deleted the settings, it will definitely screw it up. What is your situation now?

No kidding. Wasted half a day because of that. Found the iHackintosh article on how to use libusb-win32 and iRecovery to get it our of the recovery loop but even when I installed it on my old WinXP computer I couldn't get it to to work, first it would see the phone but then I realized I needed to put it in DFU mode and then it would see it but got error couldn't claim USB 1.

Luckily I found other with same problem who just installed BlackRa1n again and that fixed it!

Problem now is I have the BlackRa1in icon on the springboard and I don't know how to get rid of it. I'm selling the phone and decided best to just sell it with stock 3.1.2 on it and let whomever buys it do what they want with it. Although I'm considering using Sn0wbreeze to install IOS 4.0 and jailbreak it. Just not sure what will be most attractive to people on E-bay. Seems best to leave it stock? The fact it has the old bootroom is what makes it attractive right?

Thanks

Well, just leave it at 3.1.2 and sell it , it will fetch a higher price but no much of a difference, it also depends on your luck whether a buyer is keen in getting the oldbootrom.
    How much do you think you want to see it for?