+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck at "preparing iphone for restore" 1604 error

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello. Having huge problems with getting my iPhone jailbreaked after I installed the offisial 4.01 firmware. Have spent over 8 hours trying to figure it out. Tried 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Stuck at "preparing iphone for restore" 1604 error
    Hello.

Having huge problems with getting my iPhone jailbreaked after I installed the offisial 4.01 firmware.

Have spent over 8 hours trying to figure it out. Tried 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.01 firmware.

I have allways been careful with updating the iphone since I need to unlock it to use it but this time I f**** up.

So to the problem:

Current situation: 3.1.3 offisial firmware. Screen says "Insert valid sim card".

I made an custom 4.0 ipsw with jailbreak that I have used before but it hangs at "preparing iphone for restore" and ends with a 1604 error after like 3-4 minutes.

What to do? Please help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Activate it with the sim card that came with it
    Put your phone in DFU MODE before shift+restore

Be more explicit about your problem, it is not very clear.

'official' not 'Offisial'

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry for my bad english.

I bought the iPhone from the US through Ebay but I didnt get any sim card with the phone. Im from Norway so I wont be able to get an AT&T sim card.

Is there no other way around the 1604 error?

Thanks

Your getting 1604 because you are trying to install a custom fw on a non-jailbroken phone. A phone MUST be jailbroken in order to accept a custom fw. At this point you will need either an AT&T sim(you can buy them on the internet) or you can try this: iPhone 4 Activation Without Original SIM Card

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Your getting 1604 because you are trying to install a custom fw on a non-jailbroken phone. A phone MUST be jailbroken in order to accept a custom fw. At this point you will need either an AT&T sim(you can buy them on the internet) or you can try this: iPhone 4 Activation Without Original SIM Card
    Thanks for the answer.

What about downgrading? I do have shsh for 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 on Cydia. I have tried to downgrade to 3.1.3 and 3.1.2. Then I used blackra1n for jailbreak but didnt work. The iPhone just hang at the "connect to itunes background". and nothing happend.

Thanks

No matter what firmware you install you'll get the emergency call screen if you don't have a sim for it. Try going to 3.1 and using blackra1n. Blackra1n should be able to hacktivate it for you. Once you get jailbroken there then you can install a custom 4.x.

Or redsn0w 0.9.2 on 3.1
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 08-16-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

Sourcy (08-16-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am in exact same situation. I tried downgrading to 3.1.2, itunes said that the phone wasn't eligible for the restore!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    No matter what firmware you install you'll get the emergency call screen if you don't have a sim for it. Try going to 3.1 and using blackra1n. Blackra1n should be able to hacktivate it for you. Once you get jailbroken there then you can install a custom 4.x.

Or redsn0w 0.9.2 on 3.1
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

This totaly worked and my iPhone is back in business with Cydia and Carrier Unlock on the 4.0 firmware.

I downgraded to 3.1 and used blackra1n for JB. Then I installed the Custom Firmware from iTunes right after. (Also when I downgraded to 3.1 it ended up with an 10xx error. I just used RecBoot to kick it out of restore-mode)
    Last edited by Sourcy; 08-16-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks

Your welcome, glad every worked out for you

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourcy View Post
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

This totaly worked and my iPhone is back in business with Cydia and Carrier Unlock on the 4.0 firmware.

I downgraded to 3.1 and used blackra1n for JB. Then I installed the Custom Firmware from iTunes right after. (Also when I downgraded to 3.1 it ended up with an 10xx error. I just used RecBoot to kick it out of restore-mode)
    Great! Please clarify me these things and help me too!
    1. Is the device iPhone 3gs?
    2. If yes, did you have your shsh blobs saved for 3.1?
    3. If no, how did you manage to install ios 3.1 and what version of itunes did you use?

itunes gave me an error: device isn't eligible for 3.1.2 downgrade. I guess I would get the same for 3.1 restore too :S

edit: nvm, you already said u had shsh blobs saved.congrats
    Last edited by sagar24.85; 08-16-2010 at 02:52 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am in the same boat!! I have a 3Gs running os 4.0.1 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com, SSH files saved as 4.0. I was having issues with a file I downloaded trying to get my MMS to work on T-mobile so thought I would restore since I couldn't get it to remove after it didn't work. When I run through the recovery mode (I also tried this in DFU mode)it gets stuck at the end with the Itunes musicdisc and cable on the screen and iTunes says

<Recovery Mode Device 07614040>: Recovery mode succeeded

then

iTunes: Restore error 1604

How do I get past this? I have a Universal Sim in so I can activate it. (That's how I got it working last time)

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Wyvon54

UPDATE
    I finally downloaded the ipsw for 4.0.1 and used that. It kind of worked. It went through the process but at the end I get the message -

"This Apple iPhone cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device service is not started."

So does anyone know how to get around this? I have my Universal Sim still in the phone!
    HELP!! Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by wyvon54; 08-17-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: update

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ^^ restart your pc and try again or

just type "services.msc" in Start -> Run command and look for "Apple Mobile Device" service and right click and choose "start"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sagar24.85 For This Useful Post:

wyvon54 (08-17-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did the start>Run services.msc/Apple Mobile Device. It took 3 tries and a reboot of my computer but now I'm at the "emergency call" only screen. I'm getting there slowly!! But thanks sagar24.85 - I couldn't have gotten that far without you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    lol, np. we r on the same boat. help me too if you find a way to bypass emergency call only screen.

Thanks

If your at the emergency call screen then the restore finished, now you just need a sim to activate the phone.