+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW TO] Fix error "Cannot restore iphone.....software too old" after downgrade

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey guys, Have seen many a post about this and one obscure answer in piglatin, so i thought i'd make a nice big post for all you modmyi'ers and googlers...
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default [HOW TO] Fix error "Cannot restore iphone.....software too old" after downgrade
    Hey guys,

Have seen many a post about this and one obscure answer in piglatin, so i thought i'd make a nice big post for all you modmyi'ers and googlers...

I recently downgraded from 4.0 to 3.1.3 and reJBd using spirit (as i couldnt find any other way to do it *sadface*)

I discovered that restoring from a backup was not possible due to the software being too old on my iphone.

so here is the answer....

1. Navigate to your itunes iphone backup folder (WIN7- C > USERS > "ME" > APPDATA > ROAMING > APPLECOMPUTER > MOBILESYNC > BACKUP ***some of these folders may be hidden btw)

2. Find the most recent backup, this reflects the backup in itunes with no date (for me it's "Darkness" without any dates next to it in itunes, and most recently modified in the backup folder)

3. Theres a bunch of strings/files here, scroll down to info.plist

4. Open it in notepad

5. Near the begining, fined these two strings...

<key>Product Version</key> <string>4.0</string>

<key>Build Version</key> <string>8A306</string>

--The value after the versions will differ depending on what version you were last on when you backup up, I'm assuming it was 4.0, though this method should work retrospectively and for future updates.

6. Now change these values to reflect your current setup e.g.

<key>Product Version</key> <string>3.1.3</string>

<key>Build Version</key> <string>7E18</string>

7. If itunes was open, it will still not recognis the backup, so restart itunes.

8. Backup should work fine now!

(I did get an error saying itunes couldnt speak with my phone, but unplugged my phone and plugged it back in and all good. This is probably just my system)

Hope this clears the air for people.

Cheers...

(p.s. can anyone link me to a reliable 3.1.3 JB, not spirit, and new bootrom, as i've downgraded? 3 hours and 4 programs later i cracked it and just used spirit, but would prefer something i can JB to 4.0 with. Have blobs btw)

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to alex_coningham For This Useful Post:

azraeil (10-03-2010), besimler (11-27-2010), brianjw (01-16-2012), bu11etpr00f (04-18-2011), dmklunk (03-11-2011), d_sanche (07-31-2010), i.Annie (10-03-2010), iBeast24/7 (10-03-2010), jballa9 (01-20-2012), Lostfaith (09-28-2010), Reeiiko (03-28-2014), richbernard1005 (01-29-2011), Simon (09-02-2010), Trooper Sam (09-02-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You meaning Downgrade Iphone 3Gs without SHSH blobs file saved ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No.

This is for when you are trying to restore your phone (whatever firmware) to a backup made of your phones contacts, playlists etc on a different firmware version.

For example

I updated to 4.0, backup my iphone. Realise 4.0 is trash, and successfully downgrade to 3.1.3 (because i had blobs saved). Then want my backup restored to my phone, you will get an error saying cannot restore from that iphone backup as the current firmware is too old...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alex_coningham For This Useful Post:

nuieskater (07-20-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default session could not be started
    Downgraded to 3.1.3 and followed your steps for editing the info.plist file, now I get this error "ITunes could not restore the iPhone because a session could not be started with the iPhone".

I tried plugging & unplugging and restarting iTunes etc and this error always comes up. Any Ideas? I'm on a Mac, OS 10.6.4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by werby View Post
    Downgraded to 3.1.3 and followed your steps for editing the info.plist file, now I get this error "ITunes could not restore the iPhone because a session could not be started with the iPhone".

I tried plugging & unplugging and restarting iTunes etc and this error always comes up. Any Ideas? I'm on a Mac, OS 10.6.4
    Hey mate,

not sure about mac, but lets see....

This happened to me too...
    Most likely, you've incorrectly edited that file, make a backup?

Have you edited the plist for the product AND build versions? To expand on that, if you had one that says 4.0, you downgraded and want that backup, it needs to read the build/product version correctly. Find out which ones it is, ie. 3.1.3 7E18 (might be different for you. you need to change both of these to correctly reflect what you have, found under settings>general>about>version

might be worthwhile looking for any other traces of "4.0"

If not, try to remember what you changed, or try to restore to an older backup.
    Once you've got your phone to where you want it, sync to make a backup, make a back up of that backup and reedit the plist file.

Some mac users have trouble with permissions in the backup folder too, so make sure thats all good

If all of this fails, rapidshare the plist and ill have a look, no guarentees thou

GL mate
    Last edited by alex_coningham; 08-09-2010 at 04:51 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alex_coningham For This Useful Post:

SergioFX (08-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I joined the forum just to say thank you because you saved my *** I've been searching the internet for nearly 7 hours until I found your solution.

After I changed the info from 4.0 to 3.1.3, iTunes gave me the same problem "ITunes could not restore the iPhone because a session could not be started with the iPhone". but then I restarted iTunes, unplugged my iPhone and then it worked just fine Everything was synced back to normal.

Sadly, I could not get back my sms.... but That's okay, because I got my contacts, apps, songs, notes.... everything except sms...

Thank a lot!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey,
    thanks for the TUT, I have a problem with two 3G mobiles.
    After downgrade I was unable to restore, then I found this HOWTO and proceed...
    I did edit info.plist to match the new OS version and build, the restore works, but just the apps, no contacts, no sms, no settings... ((

This happened within two different computers and two different iPhones.

As you already noticed I am from Spain, so the software (iTunes) I've used is in Spanish (one Windows XP and Windows 7).

Of course I don't want to update to iOS 4.0 again. Any ideas???

Thanks again for the tutorial, hope anyone can help me.

Bye!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey Alex,

Great tutorial, thanks a lot for posting, it is actually the only one I've been able to find. However, I have a similar problem to other users in here.

I've successfully downgraded, changed both strings in the info.plist file (searched as well for other lines where either "4.0" or "8A306" but found none) and tried disconnecting and restarting my Mac, the iPhone and iTunes several times, but I still get the "session could not be started with the iPhone" error.

I have also considered your other suggestion of trying to restore from a previous backup but it looks like there is only one info.plist file.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions how to solve this issue, thanks mate!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elmelodico View Post
    Hey Alex,

Great tutorial, thanks a lot for posting, it is actually the only one I've been able to find. However, I have a similar problem to other users in here.

I've successfully downgraded, changed both strings in the info.plist file (searched as well for other lines where either "4.0" or "8A306" but found none) and tried disconnecting and restarting my Mac, the iPhone and iTunes several times, but I still get the "session could not be started with the iPhone" error.

I have also considered your other suggestion of trying to restore from a previous backup but it looks like there is only one info.plist file.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions how to solve this issue, thanks mate!
    Hi elmelodico. I am having the same problems as you are. I changed the 2 values to 3.1.3 and 7E18 but I still get the "session could not be started with the iPhone" error. I have also tried reconnecting and restarting my computer but nothing works. This is really frustrating as I need my info. If anyone knows a fix please post here. Thank you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Think this work with Windows, Linux and OS X. Sorry, you have to pay for it.
    Last edited by Vivadata; 08-26-2010 at 04:46 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for the help!
    I still have a question, however...
    In order to successfully downgrade, I had to uninstall itunes... and now all my apps from appstore are gone from my itunes... is there any easier way to get them back other than redownloading one at a time?

thanks again!

I just realized I had restored the wrong backup... It didn't work for me either...
    Last edited by nfrenk; 08-29-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 15,104 Times in 6,942 Posts

Thanks, very useful

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nfrenk View Post
    Thanks a lot for the help!
    I still have a question, however...
    In order to successfully downgrade, I had to uninstall itunes... and now all my apps from appstore are gone from my itunes... is there any easier way to get them back other than redownloading one at a time?

thanks again!

I just realized I had restored the wrong backup... It didn't work for me either...
    Yeah, it is time consuming just to download again from Itunes.

Next time if you want to uninstall your Itunes in order to downgrade, make sure you copy Mobile Applications from : Library\Music\Itunes\Itunes Music\Mobile Applications onto your Desktop.
    When you reinstall Itunes , it will search for Mobile Applications, and if it is there it will install back everything from there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so that's where the apps were... hope I can remember that next time, lol...

thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Itunes did let me sync the phone after I adjusted what you said the only thing is that when my phone synced up I did not get my APPS or Contacts or anything.

What might have I done wrong? Or what can I do now?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

This is good OP, smart stuff!

As a warning to others tho, if you had to restore your phone due to problems you were having, and you're restoring to FIX these problems, restoring from back up is not recommended. Restoring from back up will likely carry the problem you wanted to fix over. So set your phone up as new.

If you restored and the reason is NOT because you were experiencing problems, this is a great post.

I hit the Thanks, OP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBeast24/7 View Post
    Itunes did let me sync the phone after I adjusted what you said the only thing is that when my phone synced up I did not get my APPS or Contacts or anything.

What might have I done wrong? Or what can I do now?
    On the left side of Itunes, you will see your phone name,highlight it and on top highlight apps and check the apps to sync.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    This is good OP, smart stuff!

As a warning to others tho, if you had to restore your phone due to problems you were having, and you're restoring to FIX these problems, restoring from back up is not recommended. Restoring from back up will likely carry the problem you wanted to fix over. So set your phone up as new.

If you restored and the reason is NOT because you were experiencing problems, this is a great post.

I hit the Thanks, OP
    Annie, if we were to set it up as new, what would happen to our contacts? My understanding is that the contacts/sms are stored in the backup right?

Thanks

The contacts is stored either in outlook, yahoo address book, etc

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What if we don't have those contacts in Outlook (mine only have partial ones ... any new ones will be syncronise in Outlook but the existing ones are only stored in the iPhone)