+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW TO] Fix error "Cannot restore iphone.....software too old" after downgrade

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
This thread just saved me from going to 4.2.1 again and manually backing up all the data! Thanks! Editing the file did the trick!
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This thread just saved me from going to 4.2.1 again and manually backing up all the data!

Thanks! Editing the file did the trick!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacote View Post
    This thread just saved me from going to 4.2.1 again and manually backing up all the data!

Thanks! Editing the file did the trick!
    What type of phone and version of iTunes?

I am trying to restore a iPhone 4 4.2.1 backup to 4.1 through itunes 10.1.1 and this trick does not seem to be working. Any tips are appreciated

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Same here
    Same issue here.

After getting back from 4.2.1 to 4.1 on itunes 10.1.1..

This Method didnt work for me on both my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G...

I Hate this thing...

Will try using the older version of iTunes to check out on it..

Hope that works
    Last edited by tdck; 12-20-2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added image

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am downgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.1 to jailbreak I did it right as far as I can see I did it like a million times but the same error keeps occurring i can't understand why can anyone help ? In on vista btw iTunes 10.1

Tdck did it work?
    Last edited by Peteypls; 01-12-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 14,778 Times in 6,873 Posts

What error is it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

has anyone noticed its taking an extrodinarily long time for anyone to put out a good workjing untethered jailbreak other than redsnow which is just a beta and doesnt even work for windows i got fed up thats why im trying thius solution but i keep getting the same error and this fix didnt work i guess because its itunes 10.1 or something

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    What error is it?
    its the error software is too old to restore the backup on itunes i tried the solution of goining into plist and editing it but it didnt work

any ideas|?
    Last edited by Peteypls; 01-12-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

This method hasnt really worked for the newer firmwares. You can get your data from your newer backups with iphone backup extractor or juicephone though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok are those computer or jailbreak downloads?

Thanks

computer, juicephone is mac only but iphone backup extractor can be used on both I believe.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks alot looks like illhave to go with that method if they dont come out with a jailbreak soon im gonna take a break i been at this the entire day lol took me hours to find this post eventually i got fed up and restored back to 4.2.1 ill prolly do it over again tommorow now that i have the solution thanks bro

Thanks

no prob

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

actually i might not it says i have no notes and a few other things so ill probably pass

kto
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

editing Info.plist didn't work for me at all when downgrading iphone 3GS from 4.2.1 (8C148a) to 4.1 (8B117). "iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone that is being restored", no sms data, no contacts, no photos.

so I'm out of luck, I guess. even extracting .sqlitedb files from backup with iphone backup extractor and copying them over after restore does not work. (some of the data does show up on the phone, but is mostly corrupt and unusable)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem as kto, everytime I try I get the error "iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone that is being restored"

Any help would be appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile SOLUTION - "backup was corrupt or not compatible" FIXED
    Quote Originally Posted by kto View Post
    editing Info.plist didn't work for me at all when downgrading iphone 3GS from 4.2.1 (8C148a) to 4.1 (8B117). "iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone that is being restored", no sms data, no contacts, no photos.

so I'm out of luck, I guess. even extracting .sqlitedb files from backup with iphone backup extractor and copying them over after restore does not work. (some of the data does show up on the phone, but is mostly corrupt and unusable)
    I also have this problem. I also tried to edit the Manifest.plist and changing the iPhone's reported firmware version and build as well, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue either...

***Never forget to manually create a backup of your latest iTunes iPhone backup before restoring/upgrading/etc.***
    Last edited by bu11etpr00f; 04-18-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: update

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi , i have iphone 3gs 4.3.3 backup also and i restore to 4.2.1 , when im try restore my backup 4.3.3 to 4.2.1 it says the error cannot restore iphone software too old .
    i have changed the strings and try it
    any other solutions guys

Thanks

This worked great and definitely should be stickied! Not just for the iPhone 3GS. I tried it out using my iPhone 4S. I've been using 5.1 beta 3 firmware. When I discovered that the A5 Untethered jailbreak would not support 5.1 because Apple has patched it, I knew I had to downgrade. I downgraded very smoothly and restored all my settings from 5.1 to 5.0.1 easily. I am running Mac OS X 10.7.2, iTunes 10.5.2 and now iOS 5.0.1 firmware for the 4S.
    Last edited by brianjw; 02-10-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: accidentally put wrong firmware version

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Insane
    It's insane how amazingly well this worked for me.

Am on the developer program and updated to 5.1 (after saving my blobs)

Untethered jailbreak came out and have been looking online for 2 WEEKS!

WORKS

follow those instructions exactly and you won't have any problems.

** Also, download Plist Edit Pro, made it easier to edit. **

Forgot to add... TEXT MESSAGES ALL THERE pictures work PERFECT
    Last edited by joshbermudez; 01-21-2012 at 07:38 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alex_coningham View Post
    Hey guys,

Have seen many a post about this and one obscure answer in piglatin, so i thought i'd make a nice big post for all you modmyi'ers and googlers...

I recently downgraded from 4.0 to 3.1.3 and reJBd using spirit (as i couldnt find any other way to do it *sadface*)

I discovered that restoring from a backup was not possible due to the software being too old on my iphone.

so here is the answer....

1. Navigate to your itunes iphone backup folder (WIN7- C > USERS > "ME" > APPDATA > ROAMING > APPLECOMPUTER > MOBILESYNC > BACKUP ***some of these folders may be hidden btw)

2. Find the most recent backup, this reflects the backup in itunes with no date (for me it's "Darkness" without any dates next to it in itunes, and most recently modified in the backup folder)

3. Theres a bunch of strings/files here, scroll down to info.plist

4. Open it in notepad

5. Near the begining, fined these two strings...

<key>Product Version</key> <string>4.0</string>

<key>Build Version</key> <string>8A306</string>

--The value after the versions will differ depending on what version you were last on when you backup up, I'm assuming it was 4.0, though this method should work retrospectively and for future updates.

6. Now change these values to reflect your current setup e.g.

<key>Product Version</key> <string>3.1.3</string>

<key>Build Version</key> <string>7E18</string>

7. If itunes was open, it will still not recognis the backup, so restart itunes.

8. Backup should work fine now!

(I did get an error saying itunes couldnt speak with my phone, but unplugged my phone and plugged it back in and all good. This is probably just my system)

Hope this clears the air for people.

Cheers...

(p.s. can anyone link me to a reliable 3.1.3 JB, not spirit, and new bootrom, as i've downgraded? 3 hours and 4 programs later i cracked it and just used spirit, but would prefer something i can JB to 4.0 with. Have blobs btw)
    Perfect tutorial. thanks dear...solved my problem...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much, you are wonderful :3
    Last edited by hannersva; 04-28-2012 at 07:20 PM.