Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7891011 19 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 483

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: **HOW TO jailbreak 3[GS] on 4.0 official using ANY FIRMWARE

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by ukhellfire View Post
    Winterboard doesnt install IconSupport, apps like five-column springboard and FivelRows do though... Which arent currently supported for iOS4, winterboard is...
    Ah yes, you're right. I had installed Five-column Springboard and that's where it came from.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by StepsAscend View Post
    I had springboard crash repeatedly from the IconSupport package, which Winterboard installs. It's not yet iOS4 ready i guess. Uninstall it while in safe mode. So far I think iOS4 is a bit snappier.

    EDIT:Winterboard doesn't install IconSupport. I got it when I installed Five-column Springboard.

    So, (stupid question follows), how do you boot the iphone into safe mode (when you ran into that springboard crash issue)?

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidIanWarren View Post
    So, (stupid question follows), how do you boot the iphone into safe mode (when you ran into that springboard crash issue)?
    Well when it crashes it should automatically boot into Safe Mode. It gives you a big warning on boot and the status bar will say "Exit Safe Mode". To do it manually you would need an app like sbsettings. You don't have to be in safe mode to uninstall. I just said that because with iconsupport all it would let me do is boot safe mode so I assumed that was our starting point.

  4. #164
    five icon dock works quite well for me(ios4, on 3gs)

  5. #165
    Sorry if this is a repeat I'm at work and don't have time to skim the whole board - if it is just let me know and I'll do my research after.

    I jb'ed my 3.1.3 firmware using Spirit. I want to try iOS 4 but I rely on too many jb apps to not be able to jailbreak. If I restore my phone using the 3.1.3 firmware from the downloads section would I then be able to jb the new OS or did I mess up my chances of jb'ing my new phone until another method comes out.

    Thanks

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmilingpsycho View Post
    Sorry if this is a repeat I'm at work and don't have time to skim the whole board - if it is just let me know and I'll do my research after.

    I jb'ed my 3.1.3 firmware using Spirit. I want to try iOS 4 but I rely on too many jb apps to not be able to jailbreak. If I restore my phone using the 3.1.3 firmware from the downloads section would I then be able to jb the new OS or did I mess up my chances of jb'ing my new phone until another method comes out.

    Thanks
    I've seen reports that even Spirit jailbreakers were able to upgrade to a sn0wbreeze'd 4.0, but supposedly it doesn't always work.

    I was in your same situation. I restored to a 3.1.2 oOSand then re-JB'd with blackra1n, and then installed a sn0breeze'd 4.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by power2themax12 View Post
    five icon dock works quite well for me(ios4, on 3gs)
    yes, 5 icon dock works for me too. Five-column springboard caused crashes though.
    Last edited by StepsAscend; 06-25-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #167
    I'm at my wits end here.

    My 3GS has blobs stored on Sauriks server since 3.0.1 and I've added the entry into hosts file (double checked), downloaded 3.1.2 ipsw, try a shift restore in itunes 9.2 and getting 3194 error which by all accounts means not getting the ipsw validated...any suggestions??

  8. #168
    IT WORKED!!! I had a 3GS, old boot-ROM (took a while to find out which) that on 3.1.2 I JB'd w/ BlackRa1n, then had to later upgrade to 3.1.3 (due to crash) to 3.1.3 and re-JB'd w/ Spirit, and recently (2 days ago) wanted to see what 4 would be like (i.e. once JB'd how much would I really need to still do to it)... 4 was great, but I missed MyWi too much (and can't stand paying at&t for more data services (tethering) that I still don't get enough out of...

    I downloaded the 3.1.2 IPSW, repointed itunes, and restored it twice over. I then got the 1015 error, and found a good article on how to use QuickPwn to kick it back to life (on W7 x64), then was able to re-JB w/ BlackRa1n. Now I'm on 3.1.2 again, and ready to Sn0wBreeze my way back to 4.

    Thanks ALL for the info!!!!!

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by viceroy View Post
    I'm at my wits end here.

    My 3GS has blobs stored on Sauriks server since 3.0.1 and I've added the entry into hosts file (double checked), downloaded 3.1.2 ipsw, try a shift restore in itunes 9.2 and getting 3194 error which by all accounts means not getting the ipsw validated...any suggestions??
    Are you POSITIVE you changed the file correctly? Here's sauriks instructions. Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

    Maybe try a different version? As in, you thought you had them all but you accidentally skipped 3.1.2? But you have 3.1.3 maybe? You just need ANY jailbreakable version from what I understand.

  10. #170
    Just to clarify, to install a Custom iOS4 ipsw after downgrading back to 3.1.2, do you have to have ever installed regular iOS4 on your phone? Just wondering if that's possibly what's holding me back.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Did you not see post 7 ask this and post 8 answer it? It's right in this very thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsanchez View Post
    ^^^ check saurik'd website all the instructions are there

    my only question is where exactly this "/etc/hosts" is on a mac... i've looked and ran a search and no luck....

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by viceroy View Post
    I'm at my wits end here.

    My 3GS has blobs stored on Sauriks server since 3.0.1 and I've added the entry into hosts file (double checked), downloaded 3.1.2 ipsw, try a shift restore in itunes 9.2 and getting 3194 error which by all accounts means not getting the ipsw validated...any suggestions??
    Viceroy,
    I have the same problem... Please try the following and let me know what you get...

    1. Download and install tinyumbrella.
    2. Run tinyumbrella.
    3. Plug in your iPhone after you start tinyumbrella, so it is recognized.
    4. Change the Location to 'Cydia:'
    5. Click the Display SHSHs button.
    6. You should see a list of SHSH blobs that are on file with Cydia.

    QUESTION: Does it list your 3.1.2 (7D11) glob as "iPod2G" or "IPhone3GS"?

    Mine reports (incorrectly) "iPod2G" with the 3GS ECID at the end of it. Funny thing is, I was JB on 3.1.2 and had Cydia record my SHSH for the 3GS. I have never owned an iPod2G. Since mine is listed as iPod2G, I cannot use the SHSH file and go back to 3.1.2. I am wondering if there are others like me out there...

  13. #173
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts

    Yo noob tuber
    change the title and add that is with "SAVED SHSH FILE ON THE CYDIA SERVER" so other noobs don't keep asking all these questions.

    Thank you Sir.

  14. #174
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by KoolMan0 View Post
    Yo noob tuber
    change the title and add that is with "SAVED SHSH FILE ON THE CYDIA SERVER" so other noobs don't keep asking all these questions.

    Thank you Sir.
    Or they can learn how to read since they are on a FORUM where you read things.

    Quote Originally Posted by zacofalltradez View Post
    my only question is where exactly this "/etc/hosts" is on a mac... i've looked and ran a search and no luck....
    Now read post 123.
    Last edited by one1; 06-25-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Or they can learn how to read since they are on a FORUM where you read things.



    Now read post 123.

    thank u for the info, i had been looking and reading for about 6 hours and found this site, joined, made it to page 20 or so and then gave up and decided to ask, then started a new thread with my problem and what it is i'm actually trying to do... http://modmyi.com/forums/general/716...-new-post.html just in case u have any info on the matter also, i edited the hosts doc in text edit, but it wont let me save it, and i already changed the permissions on the file in order to do so.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by zacofalltradez View Post
    thank u for the info, i had been looking and reading for about 6 hours and found this site, joined, made it to page 20 or so and then gave up and decided to ask, then started a new thread with my problem and what it is i'm actually trying to do... http://modmyi.com/forums/general/716...-new-post.html just in case u have any info on the matter also, i edited the hosts doc in text edit, but it wont let me save it, and i already changed the permissions on the file in order to do so.
    Textedit isnt a proper text editing program. You need something like Smultron (which is what Ive been using for about 3 years).

    Open Finder... Go To Folder... /etc/ and then you'll find the hosts file, and you can edit and save with Smultron by Peter Borg but sadly there will be no more releases of this excellent text editor.

    Another alternative is the free Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

  17. #177
    This is specifically for iPhone 3GS, old bootrom users who have their SHSH blobs for 3.1.2 on file.

    I was having some pretty severe difficulties putting sn0wbreeze'd iOS4 IPSWs on my iPhone 3GS (I was basically getting error 2 every time).

    This is how I got it working:
    1. Use saurik's server and iTunes 9.2 to restore iPhone to 3.1.2 stock firmware. You will get error 1015 and the iPhone will display the recovery screen.
    2. Use blackra1n to jailbreak the 3.1.2 firmware. The iPhone will start up as normal.
    3. Download the CrispyTech iOS4 firmware (made with PwnageTool 4.0.1) for either official or unofficial carriers from Download Custom iOS 4 Firmware for iPhone 3GS 3G [IPSW] | CrispyTech.
    4. Shift + click Restore in iTunes 9.2 and try restoring to this firmware. You may or may not get error 1611.
    5. If you get error 1611, shorten the name of the CrispyTech IPSW file and then try again.

    At that point I got no errors at all and have a successfully jailbroken iPhone 3GS. Hope this helps

  18. #178
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
    Textedit isnt a proper text editing program. You need something like Smultron (which is what Ive been using for about 3 years).
    BullSh... text edit works fine. You cannot edit inside the root of the file system. Simply COPY the host file and paste it on the desktop, edit it and COPY it again then PASTE it back into /etc
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    BullSh... text edit works fine. You cannot edit inside the root of the file system. Simply COPY the host file and paste it on the desktop, edit it and COPY it again then PASTE it back into /etc
    Thank you.

    I stand corrected, even if rather rudely.

  20. #180
    and delete the original file?


    nvm... silly question. but even after all of this i'm still stuck with a bricked phone, or an overpriced itouch. fml.
    Last edited by zacofalltradez; 06-25-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: figured it out.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7891011 19 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •