Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
03-29-2010, 10:58 PM #1Is this possible...? Regarding iPhone 3.1.2 firmware
Hi, a friend of mine is giving me her iPhone 3GS firmware 3.1.2 and baseline 5.11.07.
I want to erase all information on her phone so I can use it for myself. I was wondering if there is a way to clean out all information on it so I can use it for myself.
My computer currently has the newest iTunes but if I get an older edtion, can I just restore the phone and then jailbreak/unlock it?
If this is possible, can some one link me to an older edition of iTunes?
If this isn't possible, can some one tell me a way to accomplish this task?
I do not have AT&T so the unlock is a must.
03-29-2010, 11:06 PM #2
If u restore it u cannot jailbreak or unlock
03-29-2010, 11:09 PM #3
is there a way that I can clean out all her information so it'll be like new?
03-30-2010, 01:33 AM #4
You can try
Settings>General>Reset>Erase all contents and SettingsiPhone 4
Firmware : iOS4
Carrier : Softbank (Japan)
Jailbroken using Jailbreakme
03-30-2010, 04:25 AM #5
use this to determine if you have the new or old iBoot how to find out the bootrom version?
if you have the old iBoot then use redsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak the phone then create a custom 3.1.2 ipsw if you have a mac using pwnagetool and restore to that and it will be clean as a whistle...if you don't have a mac or access to one then google a custom 3.1.2 ipsw created with pwnagetool and restore to that...if you have the new iBoot then i would just manually delete all her stuff (time consuming but much safer than trying to restore to 3.1.3)
The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:
03-30-2010, 05:35 AM #6
Do not do the erase all contents and settings unless you want to restore. That is basically what it MAKES you do.
03-30-2010, 11:49 AM #7
so j3st3r3, i should jailbreak using redsnow 0.9.2.
how do i create a custom 3.1.2 ipsw? and when i do create it, use pwnagetool to restore the phone to it.
Will it be possible to sync up the phone to my personal computer though? I'm on a PC but i do have numerous access to macs.
03-30-2010, 11:53 AM #8
if you determined you have the old iBoot then yes use pwnagetool to create the firmware...it will walk you through the steps or look here for more detailed instructions iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool [Mac]
as cerote said do not reset all data and settings
03-30-2010, 01:09 PM #9
You should consider doing a bit of reading on the whole subject of jailbreaking before attempting anything actually. That goes for any new person wanting to jailbreak.
03-30-2010, 01:31 PM #10
Exactly what i did with mine and there was nothing more i could do with it. Eventually i'll upgrade to 3.1.3 the following days, still hoping a new JB/Unlock will be made available.
If you want to delete SMS-s, contacts and whatnot, you can do that from iTunes of Cydia.Oh noes! Some hippie smoked my signature...
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM #11
1) by putting it in DFU mode, i'm just doing so to check my bootrom. will this put my phone in risk of restoring? cuz i know sometimes itunes says "your phone is restore mode...yadadada"
2) IF i put in RESTORE MODE, then i will have to restore it to 3.1.3?
3) If my computer has the newest itunes, am i still able to sync my "jailbreak/unlock iphone" without it upgrading or should i get the older itunes instead?
thanks again for all your help.
Last edited by kyrice; 03-31-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
03-31-2010, 05:03 AM #12
2. I've never personally done it, but getting out of recovery mode should be the same way as getting out of DFU. There's no reason to go into recovery mode for you though. You can't see the iBoot version from recovery mode.
3. A new version of iTunes (9.1) has just been released. Usually it doesn't interfere with jailbreaks etc. but I'd hold off updating until there's some official word from the Dev Team.