+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is this possible...? Regarding iPhone 3.1.2 firmware

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi, a friend of mine is giving me her iPhone 3GS firmware 3.1.2 and baseline 5.11.07. I want to erase all information on her phone so I can use it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Is this possible...? Regarding iPhone 3.1.2 firmware
    Hi, a friend of mine is giving me her iPhone 3GS firmware 3.1.2 and baseline 5.11.07.

I want to erase all information on her phone so I can use it for myself. I was wondering if there is a way to clean out all information on it so I can use it for myself.

My computer currently has the newest iTunes but if I get an older edtion, can I just restore the phone and then jailbreak/unlock it?

If this is possible, can some one link me to an older edition of iTunes?

If this isn't possible, can some one tell me a way to accomplish this task?

I do not have AT&T so the unlock is a must.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

If u restore it u cannot jailbreak or unlock

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is there a way that I can clean out all her information so it'll be like new?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can try

Settings>General>Reset>Erase all contents and Settings
    iPhone 4
    Firmware : iOS4
    Carrier : Softbank (Japan)
    Jailbroken using Jailbreakme

Thanks

use this to determine if you have the new or old iBoot how to find out the bootrom version?

if you have the old iBoot then use redsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak the phone then create a custom 3.1.2 ipsw if you have a mac using pwnagetool and restore to that and it will be clean as a whistle...if you don't have a mac or access to one then google a custom 3.1.2 ipsw created with pwnagetool and restore to that...if you have the new iBoot then i would just manually delete all her stuff (time consuming but much safer than trying to restore to 3.1.3)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

kyrice (03-30-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Do not do the erase all contents and settings unless you want to restore. That is basically what it MAKES you do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so j3st3r3, i should jailbreak using redsnow 0.9.2.
    how do i create a custom 3.1.2 ipsw? and when i do create it, use pwnagetool to restore the phone to it.

Will it be possible to sync up the phone to my personal computer though? I'm on a PC but i do have numerous access to macs.

Thanks

if you determined you have the old iBoot then yes use pwnagetool to create the firmware...it will walk you through the steps or look here for more detailed instructions iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool [Mac]

as cerote said do not reset all data and settings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyrice View Post
    so j3st3r3, i should jailbreak using redsnow 0.9.2.
    how do i create a custom 3.1.2 ipsw? and when i do create it, use pwnagetool to restore the phone to it.

Will it be possible to sync up the phone to my personal computer though? I'm on a PC but i do have numerous access to macs.
    Make very sure that you understand what bootrom means and that you have the old one before attempting to use a custom firmware. Failure to do so can/will mess up your phone and you'll have no choice but to go to 3.1.3 which isn't jailbreakable.

You should consider doing a bit of reading on the whole subject of jailbreaking before attempting anything actually. That goes for any new person wanting to jailbreak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raziiq View Post
    You can try

Settings>General>Reset>Erase all contents and Settings
    Do this and you'll be done with the device for a while.
    Exactly what i did with mine and there was nothing more i could do with it. Eventually i'll upgrade to 3.1.3 the following days, still hoping a new JB/Unlock will be made available.

If you want to delete SMS-s, contacts and whatnot, you can do that from iTunes of Cydia.
    Oh noes! Some hippie smoked my signature...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Make very sure that you understand what bootrom means and that you have the old one before attempting to use a custom firmware. Failure to do so can/will mess up your phone and you'll have no choice but to go to 3.1.3 which isn't jailbreakable.

You should consider doing a bit of reading on the whole subject of jailbreaking before attempting anything actually. That goes for any new person wanting to jailbreak.
    sorry to be such a hassle, but can you answer these questions:

1) by putting it in DFU mode, i'm just doing so to check my bootrom. will this put my phone in risk of restoring? cuz i know sometimes itunes says "your phone is restore mode...yadadada"

2) IF i put in RESTORE MODE, then i will have to restore it to 3.1.3?

3) If my computer has the newest itunes, am i still able to sync my "jailbreak/unlock iphone" without it upgrading or should i get the older itunes instead?

thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by kyrice; 03-30-2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyrice View Post
    sorry to be such a hassle, but can you answer these questions:

1) by putting it in DFU mode, i'm just doing so to check my bootrom. will this put my phone in risk of restoring? cuz i know sometimes itunes says "your phone is restore mode...yadadada"

2) IF i put in RESTORE MODE, then i will have to restore it to 3.1.3?

3) If my computer has the newest itunes, am i still able to sync my "jailbreak/unlock iphone" without it upgrading or should i get the older itunes instead?

thanks again for all your help.
    1. You don't risk anything by going into DFU mode. When you want to get out of DFU, simply hold both home and power button until you see the Apple logo, then let go of both buttons immediately. Your phone will now be off. Wait a second or two and then power on normally.

2. I've never personally done it, but getting out of recovery mode should be the same way as getting out of DFU. There's no reason to go into recovery mode for you though. You can't see the iBoot version from recovery mode.

3. A new version of iTunes (9.1) has just been released. Usually it doesn't interfere with jailbreaks etc. but I'd hold off updating until there's some official word from the Dev Team.