Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 and FIXING the No Service issue.

Default Downgrading 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 and FIXING the No Service issue.
    Hi to all of the people that are suffering from the No Service issue after downgrading your 3GS (new or old Bootrom) 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 . After suffering a couple of hour's with the No Service issue, i finally got everything back in place(Back to 3.1.2, jailbroken and iPhone activated via itunes) after accidentally upgrading to 3.1.3 .

Please follow carefully, as most of what should be done had already been mentioned in previous posts/forums :

P.S you should have made a backup on Saurik's server via Cydia, otherwise, i'm sorry to tell you that you can not proceed with the downgrade to 3.1.2

1. First of all download/save to your computer firmware 3.1.2 for your iphone, can be downloaded from here Download the new iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware | Redmond Pie .

2. Edit your computer Host to fake iTunes and make it believe it's communicating with Apple, but instead make it communicate with Saurik's server. Follow this link to show you have to edit your host file for mac How to edit the hosts file in Mac OS X – Leopard Decoding the Web .

3. Add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the end of the file and save the file and while the Terminal is open and you've already exited the host file, type dscacheutil -flushcache and hit enter.

4. Now put your iPhone in DFU mode, i would like to emphasis that you should put it in DFU mode not Recovery mode. Follow this like to know how to get it in DFU mode What is Difference Between Recovery Mode and DFU Mode | iPhone 3G S .

5. For Mac press on the Option key on your keyboard and then click restore on iTunes. Specify where you've saved the downloaded 3.1.2 firmware in step 1 .

6. While restoring, an error 1015 will occur, don't panic!! let the iphone reboot and the Connect to iTunes screen appear.

7. When stuck on the Connect to iTunes screen, download iRecovery from here iHackintosh iRecovery Package for Windows & Mac.rar .

*8.1 To start iRecovery on mac, simply open the command line applicaiton(Terminal), and then DRAG the iRecovery file from the location you've extracted it and DROP it inside the Terminal window and add to the end of the command line that is automatically written '-s' so it should be 'irecovery -s'.

**8.2 To start iRecovery on windows, first extract the iRecovery to the root directory "c: \" of your hard disk, then run the exe file 'libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.2.exe' already contained in the archive downloaded in step 7, then open windows command line application 'cmd' and type 'irecovery -s' while you are at c: \

*** Note for Windows users : BEFORE INSTALLING libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.2, right click the file and set it to run under compatibility mode for Windows xp sp2. Thanks to gangsta415 and pappajohn for pointing that out, as i'm not a windows person

9. When you are left with command line empty, type in the following :
    setenv auto-boot true "hit enter"
    saveenv "hit enter"
    /exit "hit enter"

10. Reboot your iPhone by pressing and holding the sleep/power button and the home button until the iPhone display turn off.

11. Have a SIM card inserted in your iPhone.

12. While the iPhone is still connected to your computer and iTunes running, Start your iPhone normally by pressing on the Sleep/Power button.

12. Wait until the iPhone get ACTIVATED by iTunes and then you can jailbreak it by any method you'd like (I prefer BlackraIn).

Hoping that i've made someone's day and that my instructions was easy to follow. Kindly post me your feedback.

Enjoy your back to life jailbroken and activated 3.1.2 iPhone 3GS.
    Rafay.
    Last edited by rafay; 02-10-2010 at 03:10 PM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rafay For This Useful Post:

actix (03-17-2010), Chord (02-09-2010), digitalextremes (02-09-2010), kheavy (06-26-2010), mackko (02-27-2010), pappajohn (02-09-2010), pianoman (04-12-2010), randyb2512 (04-10-2010), titan75 (03-15-2010), trj111 (06-28-2010), uhkacatop (02-08-2010), veritas56 (02-18-2010), vkantamn (02-20-2010), westkite (02-18-2010), xee (02-08-2010), Zehlek (03-05-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rafay View Post
    Hi to all of the people that are suffering from the No Service issue after downgrading your 3GS (new or old Bootrom) 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 . After suffering a couple of hour's with the No Service issue, i finally got everything back in place(Back to 3.1.2, jailbroken and iPhone activated via itunes) after accidentally upgrading to 3.1.3 .

Please follow carefully, as most of what should be done had already been mentioned in previous posts/forums :

P.S you should have made a backup on Saurik's server via Cydia, otherwise, i'm sorry to tell you that you can not proceed with the downgrade to 3.1.2

1. First of all download/save to your computer firmware 3.1.2 for your iphone, can be downloaded from here Download the new iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware | Redmond Pie .

2. Edit your computer Host to fake iTunes and make it believe it's communicating with Apple, but instead make it communicate with Saurik's server. Follow this link to show you have to edit your host file for mac How to edit the hosts file in Mac OS X Leopard Decoding the Web .

3. Add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the end of the file and save the file and while the Terminal is open and you've already exited the host file, type dscacheutil -flushcache and hit enter.

4. Now put your iPhone in DFU mode, i would like to emphasis that you should put it in DFU mode not Recovery mode. Follow this like to know how to get it in DFU mode What is Difference Between Recovery Mode and DFU Mode | iPhone 3G S .

5. For Mac press on the Option key on your keyboard and then click restore on iTunes. Specify where you've saved the downloaded 3.1.2 firmware in step 1 .

6. While restoring, an error 1015 will occur, don't panic!! let the iphone reboot and the Connect to iTunes screen appear.

7. When stuck on the Connect to iTunes screen, download iRecovery from here iHackintosh iRecovery Package for Windows & Mac.rar .

8. Start iRecovery in Terminal(Mac) or cmd(Windows) and type : iRecovery -s

9. When you are left with a empty command line, type in the following :
    setenv auto-boot true "hit enter"
    saveenv "hit enter"
    /exit "hit enter"

10. Reboot your iPhone by pressing and holding the sleep/power button and the home button until the iPhone display turn off.

11. Have a SIM card inserted in your iPhone.

12. While the iPhone is still connected to your computer and iTunes running, Start your iPhone normally by pressing on the Sleep/Power button.

12. Wait until the iPhone get ACTIVATED by iTunes and then you can jailbreak it by any method you'd like (I prefer BlackraIn).

Hoping that i've made someone's day and that my instructions was easy to follow. Kindly post me your feedback.

Enjoy your back to life jailbroken and activated 3.1.2 iPhone 3GS.
    Rafay.
    Hi there, I am using WinXP. I went to the COMMAND prompt and tried 'iRecovery' but just flie not found. And when I installed the iRecovery software there is no file caller 'iRecovery'. What am I doing wrong. Help is appreciated. You can email me direct [email protected]
    Thanks in advance,

thank you so XXXXXX much.. this has saved my iphone from being a useless POS..

my situation:
    MC model iphone, updated firmware to 3.1.3 with itunes. baseband got updated as well, but had shsh files stored.

with this method, i got back my 3.1.2 WITH service
    Last edited by xee; 02-08-2010 at 01:56 AM.

freebeer : For Windows, please make sure to install libusb file contained in the zipped file after extraction. Then :
    1. Click on Start
    2. Run
    3. Type in cmd "Hit enter"
    4. When the command line opens, cd to the location where you've extracted the iRecovery zipped file.
    5. When you are there, type in irecovery -s
    6. Kindly proceed with the rest of the steps mentioned above.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rafay For This Useful Post:

freebeer (02-08-2010)

Tried your method on windows 7 and windows xp. The cmd part won't recognize the phone! I give up!

natterz : to be honest with you, i don't have a windows based computer to try it on. But in fact, the process is smooth as butter on mac.

Will try to find a windows based computer and feed you back

Thanks! Really appreciate!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by natterz View Post
    Tried your method on windows 7 and windows xp. The cmd part won't recognize the phone! I give up!
    natterz : to be honest with you, i don't have a windows based computer to try it on. But in fact, the process is smooth as butter on mac.

Will try to find a windows based computer and feed you back
    are you running 32bit or 64bit windows? irecovery wouldnt see my iphone in win7x64 but worked fine on good ol 32bit winXP

Well, thats why I tried XP. But that didn't work either.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by natterz View Post
    Well, thats why I tried XP. But that didn't work either.
    no idea if this has anything to do with it, but i'm running itunes 8.1 on winXP and 64bit itunes 9.0.1 on win7x64

Hi rafay, just to check again before I try, will this method work on official 3.1.3 firmware? I tried downgrading and jailbreaking my iphone few days ago several times but couldn't get a signal.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the above tips.

Just managed to downgrade and get service (after 3 previous attempts)

A couple of pointers to using iRecovery:

Not only would this not run on a Windows 7 x64 based machine it actually screwed them up if you install libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.2.exe

Following a reboot this knocks out the USB & network ports - not so bad on a laptop with a built in track pad allowing you to uninstall, but potentially fatal on a desktop machine because it kills your mouse and keyboard.... making the uninstall impossible.

I did the reinstall of 3.1.2 as described and then disconnected the iPhone and did iRecovery on an XP PC with libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.2.exe installed, remember it also needs MS C++ Redistribution Package 2008 installing or it doesnt work.

after using the reboot as described I transferred the iPhone back to my PC and rebooted, at which time it was autherised in iTunes and Im back to normal.

Hope some of that helps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitone View Post
    Not only would this not run on a Windows 7 x64 based machine it actually screwed them up if you install libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.2.exe

Following a reboot this knocks out the USB & network ports - not so bad on a laptop with a built in track pad allowing you to uninstall, but potentially fatal on a desktop machine because it kills your mouse and keyboard.... making the uninstall impossible.
    i didnt realize that was what caused my usb ports to die. i had uninstalled something in device manager before rebooting, so thats what i thought it was. luckily for me, 1 of my 9 usb ports was working and i was able to use my mouse to do a system restore.

I can't seem to start irecovery in mac no matter what i do

Quote Originally Posted by Hitone View Post
    Thanks for all the above tips.

Just managed to downgrade and get service (after 3 previous attempts)

A couple of pointers to using iRecovery:

I did the reinstall of 3.1.2 as described and then disconnected the iPhone and did iRecovery on an XP PC with libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.2.exe installed, remember it also needs MS C++ Redistribution Package 2008 installing or it doesnt work.

after using the reboot as described I transferred the iPhone back to my PC and rebooted, at which time it was autherised in iTunes and Im back to normal.

Hope some of that helps
    I tried XP. Recognized the USB in the test but when using cmd wouldn't recognize the iphone. What is C++ Redistribution Package 2008? And how can I check if I have it?

Finally got it to work on my Mom's XP machine. Whoo-hoo! Thanks for this tip!
    Last edited by natterz; 02-08-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

18. The Following User Says Thank You to natterz For This Useful Post:

emarun (02-10-2010)

hi.. is this irecovery worked for 3g too ?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to INTERQD For This Useful Post:

juliocqw (02-09-2010)

Default libusb0.dll
    freebeer : For Windows, please make sure to install libusb file contained in the zipped file after extraction. Then :
    1. Click on Start
    2. Run
    3. Type in cmd "Hit enter"
    4. When the command line opens, cd to the location where you've extracted the iRecovery zipped file.
    5. When you are there, type in irecovery -s
    6. Kindly proceed with the rest of the steps mentioned above.
    How does one install the dll in Windows XP? I tried REGSVR32 Cdownload\libusb0.dll, which is the correct path on my system, but that didn't work.

BTW, I was perfectly happy with my JB 3.12, but it got trashed and I needed to re-jailbreak. I have done Shift-Click-Restore in iTunes many times in the past, but iTunes would not recognize Shift-Click-Restore. Instead, it insisted that I upgrade, which, unfortunately, I did. At least my phone works. Some of my JB apps got restored in the sync process. So, my question: will iTunes now recognize Shift-Click-Restore where it wouldn't before? And, if so, why?

Also, it seems that your instructions are a one-size-fits-all for Windows & Mac, and are somewhat confusing, as a result. It would be great if we had clear step-by-step instructions for Windows (XP) only. But I really appreciate your efforts.

Thanks
    Last edited by jhford; 02-09-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Can anyone help me with step 3?

I've save the file, what does it mean by "while the Terminal is open and you've already exited the host file, type dscacheutil -flushcache and hit enter."
    Thanks

Very nice guide....I reverted back to 3.1.2 from 3.1.3 with no issues

I had my SHSH blobs saved on the server through Cydia

Quote Originally Posted by CRiTCH9 View Post
    Can anyone help me with step 3?

I've save the file, what does it mean by "while the Terminal is open and you've already exited the host file, type dscacheutil -flushcache and hit enter."
    Thanks
    I am assuming (because I have never used MAC) that on MAC OS that line is used for flush the DNS Cache just like on windows you do flushdns.

if you connected to the apple authentication server previously since the last reboot then this will get rid of that entry and redirect all new traffic for gs.apple.com to 74.208.10.249 rather than going to the apple IP.
    Last edited by digitalextremes; 02-09-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Windows 7 Issues
    Thanks to this guide, I got this to work. Downgraded 3Gs after I had to restore from white apple of death. Luckily I was on file with Cydia.

I followed this guide using my Windows 7 machine. I picked up a tip somewhere else on installing the usb-lib. BEFORE INSTALLING usb-lib, right click the setup and set in to run under compatibility mode for xp sp2. Luckily I was on a laptop so I uninstalled and started over. If you don't complete this step, you will not have service.

After activation, I just used blackra1n to jailbreak.

Thanks to all who contributed to this process...you saved my ***!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast