+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to check? (iphone 3.0.0 itunes 8.2)

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Ok, these are dumb questions, I know. Perhaps someone can build a flowchart to help everyone figure out their own case. My iphone 3G (MB632C) still runs 3.0.0 (7A341), jailbreak.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to check? (iphone 3.0.0 itunes 8.2)
    Ok, these are dumb questions, I know.

Perhaps someone can build a flowchart to help everyone figure out their own case.

My iphone 3G (MB632C) still runs 3.0.0 (7A341), jailbreak.
    (modem firmware 04.26.08), latest Cydia.

My Mac has itunes 8.2.1 (6).

I was somewhat confused by Saurik's latest posting.
    - Do I need signatures? Would I have needed to ask them to be taken?
    ---> Yes.
    - How do I test whether Saurik has captured them already?
    ---> how do i know if my ECID SHSH file is stored with saurik or not?
    ---> in short, the Cydia page doesn't have the additional line shown at the top of the screen, so I don't have mine cached.

- What's the impact to me if he hasn't got them?
    ---> that I must capture them when he's ready to help me upgrade to 3.1.

Should I wait until over-the-device firmware upgrade happens?
    ----> Sort of, I should wait for Saurik to announce 3.1 upgrade is safe, and then do this through his servers. On doing that it will capture my ECID signature which will set me up for the future.

When should I upgrade to itunes 9?
    ----> "later"

Here's where I learnt that: All the Rules for Downgrading your iPhone 3GS

2. You are running a jailbroken 3GS on either 3.0 or 3.0.1 and DID NOT "hash" your ECID with Cydia
    If you have a jailbroken 3GS using either 3.0 or 3.0.1 but did not get your ECID "hashed" with Cydia in time then you are still in good shape. Again, DO NOT UPGRADE TO APPLE'S OFFICIAL 3.1 FIRMWARE VIA ITUNES!!!! The bad news is that you will not be able to get back to 3.0 EVER. The good news is that you will always be able to downgrade to 3.1 which is a jailbreakable firmware. You will only be able to do this if you "hash" your ECID with Cydia in the future (Saurik said that this would be available last night but as of yet there is nothing). I know I am repeating myself but you must also use Saurik's method of altering the host file so that you can circumvent Apple. Follow Saurik on Twitter as I am sure he will let us know when we will be able to "hash" our ECID's for 3.1. More good news: Dev Team is creating custom 3.1 firmwares that will not change your baseband. So, as long as you use one of these when you restore and jailbreak you will still maintain your ability to unlock. Basically, you are golden since 3.1 is jailbreakable and, as long as you don't use the Apple 3.1 update, you will be able to keep your unlockability.

There is a little confusion here that I want to make more clear. If you have a jailbroken 3GS on 3.0 or 3.0.1 then you can still use Cydia to hash your ECID for 3.1 even though you aren't running 3.1 Again, pay attention to Saurik's Twitter to find out when this will be possible.

Thanks,
    Martin.
    Last edited by therebelmc; 09-17-2009 at 07:51 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Been wondering that for some time too (just the iTunes part).
    I'm too lazy to google it, but is it safe to upgrade to 9 ? I'm still stuck a 8.1 (or something)