+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need clarification on some points

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
1. I have iBSS and iBEC files + purplera1n.com file that I got back when it all started. This is for 3.0 f/w. However, I didn't store those signatures through
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Need clarification on some points
    1. I have iBSS and iBEC files + purplera1n.com file that I got back when it all started. This is for 3.0 f/w.

However, I didn't store those signatures through CYDIA. I am now running 3.0.1.

Question: if something goes wrong, can I re-install 3.0.1 without a problem?

2. What is this "narrow window" (i.e., deadline imposed by Apple)? Why can't Saurik accept signatures NOW from 3.0 devices? I mean, must like I got those 2 files in June, why can't someone get them now? I am just not understanding what this "deadline" is all about

Thanks for clarifying.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

1) No you cant reinstall 3.0.1 unless someone creates a tool that uses those files (like sauriks but with the ability to upload or use your own)

2)Narrow window means apple will only sign the restore for a limited amount of time. Once they stop signing the restore, your out of luck if you want to go back to that firmware unless you fake the cert server.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

1) nope, no chance, sorry
    2) I think (I don't know!) that when you tell cydia to obtain your ECID it talks to the apple server and gets the ECID file in return. since apple stopped signing 3.0 it can't do that anymore

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    1. So, basically Apple always forces us now to use the most current firmware, right? If I am using 3.0.1 now and mess something up, I have to update to 3.1 instead of just re-installing 3.0.1 again?

How are they forcing this though? I thought this was built into iTunes, so installing 7.x, for instance, will allow me to re-install my current firmware. I guess I am wrong to think so.

2. If Apple only signs restore for a limited time but you fake the server anyway, why wouldn't Cydia accept signatures anymore?

P.S. I've just noticed that Cydia has my ECID SHSH on file

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontwo View Post
    1. So, basically Apple always forces us now to use the most current firmware, right? If I am using 3.0.1 now and mess something up, I have to update to 3.1 instead of just re-installing 3.0.1 again?

How are they forcing this though? I thought this was built into iTunes, so installing 7.x, for instance, will allow me to re-install my current firmware. I guess I am wrong to think so.

2. If Apple only signs restore for a limited time but you fake the server anyway, why wouldn't Cydia accept signatures anymore?

P.S. I've just noticed that Cydia has my ECID SHSH on file
    1. no idea if apple will always force us. they are forcing us right now, that's correct. and as for itunes 7 ... I think itunes 7 won't even recognize the 3GS as it didn't exist back then, no idea though. some people report they were able to downgrade with itunes 8.2, but I can't veryify if that's true

2. it has nothing to do with cydia accepting signatures. cydia obtained the signatures from apple's server. it can't do that anymore since apple's server isn't handing out signatures anymore.
    and a restore without a ECID file will fail, so the cydia server can't just approve any restore regardless of ECID.